IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of posts about car isn't driven hard, or I beat on it, or people who think they drive hard don't actually.

How exactly do you define driving hard? I guess in my mind I'm thinking lots of launches, very rarely taking it easy, lots of redline shifts, or it's a track car.

So in my case, I drive easy with some spirit. Never launched the car, but do some redline pulls from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I’d say I drive semi hard. On the street it’s not bad, some spirited driving. On track though. Launches. Redlining a lot. Staying high in the rev range etc. my Subaru has easily 300+ launches. Honestly probably a lot more, multiple autocross days. Which honestly isn’t as hard on the car as people make it out to be.

I’d say, to define it. If you are driving the car hard enough that you have to pay attention to temps and cool it down. You drive hard lol

·
Premium Member
See about
6,363 Posts
some days that could be 5+ miles of my commute . . . if your actually sitting at high RPM the your foot isn't on the floor and you cant be at high boost. I that hard driving?

My def? Launching, FFS, high boost with high load - this includes lugging ! ! ! Normally it is higher gears on the floor - at least 4th def 5th and sixth.

Do we count suspension abuse ? I once got a stock WRX airborne right off a light! Broke shock for it too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The old joke was, "driven by an old lady only on weekends" but it was a quarter mile at a time (drag strip).

I think hardest is launches, that's when you kill a clutch or break a driveshaft. Especially if you have some form of launch / boost build programmed in.

I autocross which doesn't usually have the super hard launches, but does have full on cornering, running to max in second and maybe rev-limiting, and a bit of other harshness. OTOH it gets my ya-ya's out and I don't drive at all hard the rest of the month, and it's got only about a stage II tune ~300WHP, so it probably gets less total abuse than a bunch of street racers give theirs. Because mine gets driven hard for ~5-10 minutes a month, and at least half of that is only cornering or braking, not full boost, I'd say it's less than "beaten on / driven hard".

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't launch, or do quarter miles or drag the car or anything like that. For me, I consider it to be very spirited driving out on the country roads where there's very few people, decent straights and a lot of twisties! Anyone here that's familiar with Celina/Weston area or Princeton/Farmersville area knows the roads I am referring to. There are places you can get to 130-140 mph and then see that sign that says 45 mph corner coming up or S turn. They are all over and they are a ton of fun to drive. But it is very spirited driving!! The roads are a favorite for many motorcycles as well! That's where I learned about them about 20 years ago. Take the car on them all the time now.

If you live here and don't know them, shoot me a message and I'll tell you what you'll want to know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts