IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me say that I'm in the process of buying all-season or winter tires for my STi (Choosing between Sumitomo HTR+ or Continental ContiExtremeContact), probably installing them next month. However, between now and then, I'm concerned about driving my STi in the rain. I have heard that the stock tires can handle "light rain", but does anyone have experiences driving in heavier rain conditions? I would like to hear about them. I've only put 50 miles on my STi, and that was on dry roads. Looking at the tread pattern and feeling the compund of the stock tires, I'm sort of wondering if driving on them in anything more than light rain requires one to pull over to the side of the road? Is it that bad? Worse, my dealer told me the stock tires would probably only last for about 10K miles.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I have not had a problem in the rain. I have been in some heavy downpours too. Of course I take it easy around corners but on the expressways at 80mph it seems fine.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Rubber Floor Mats

I have been in a few downpours and I have not experienced any problems. Like MKIVSupra said, just take it a little easier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very important that these tires warm up. They get normally hot almost like race rubber.
If it's wet, and you've just begun to move on cold tires, you have to use your head with the gas (300hp) until they and the whole drivetrain, for that matter, warm up.
Drove in the wet, and they're terrific still if you use you're head.

·
Registered
212 Posts
They have good "static" grip, but I feel they just break away too abruptly for my taste with very little warning and then they slide like you won't believe it. Not so much cornering but under hard acceleration out of wet turns. You really have to know your sh!t if your pushing it in the wet with the 070's.

The best "wet predictable" tire I ever drove on were the Hakka 1's. Although they were winter specific, they gave you tons of warning, and even when they broke lose they had plenty of sliding traction. Aweson control and very predictable in the wet!

·
Registered
614 Posts
I took a 2 day driving class w/5000 miles on my STi....got it out on the AutoX course and let one of the instructors tool around for a few laps. He was amazed at how little wet grip the RE07's displayed in the corners. He had a VERY easy time breaking it loose, and I've noticed that at 6400 miles I can get side to side movement fairly easily in 1st and 2nd gear. While I love the Potenzas in the dry I think they're less that adequate in the rain. Just my .02. I tend to tread very, very carefully with any precip on the pavement.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
SILVER STi DOOR FOR SALE

Is there anywhere to find performance data on tires such that those of us who will eventually replace this tire can find something a little more well rounded than a "summer" tire and yet not lose the excellent cornering capabilities in the dry?

I guess I'm thinking there are a lot of good tires that would be better overall tires, but most likely I will find one that loses cornering performance in the dry right around the time I get used to the car and figure out what I'm doing and could use it better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
779 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
Is there anywhere to find performance data on tires such that those of us who will eventually replace this tire can find something a little more well rounded than a "summer" tire and yet not lose the excellent cornering capabilities in the dry?

I guess I'm thinking there are a lot of good tires that would be better overall tires, but most likely I will find one that loses cornering performance in the dry right around the time I get used to the car and figure out what I'm doing and could use it better.

Thanks.
A good replacement would be the Bridgestone Potenza S-03. Has better wet traction than the RE070. Check out www.tirerack.com for good performance data and reviews on tires.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been amazed at how good the RE070's really are in the rain. A couple weeks ago I did an autox in HEAVY rain, and the tires did great. I was driving aggressively through some big puddles that other people were hydroplaning through.

They have also been good on the highway in the rain. With 4k miles on them, I'd rate them just as highly in the rain as the S-03's I used on my Type R.

I'm currently using the Sumtomo all seasons for my winter tires, and they seem like a pretty decent tire so far, although I haven't pushed them nearly as much as the stock bridgestones.

Jim

·
Registered
614 Posts
This seems a little curious to me.....I was just out tooling around, the roads are wet (although not puddling excessively) and going around a 90 degree corner at approx 10-15 MPH I managed to get it sideways by a light throttle tap in 2nd gear...it was controllable, but it still happened. It seems curious to me that Jim, with 4K on his RE07's, is still reporting good wet grip, while me, with 5K on them, had an instructor tell me how poorly he thought they did in conditions similar to Jim's report. (not doubting ya there Jim, just wondering out loud). Is it possible these skins go downhill rapidly once the 5K mark hits? It seems odd that we're getting such differing reports from folks running the same gear....

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
aps makes 411 at the crank and GPmoto make 430

Where in the turn are you guys hitting the throttle? I did a 2nd gear turn onto a wide, wet, road this morning. Hit about 3/4ths throttle and the car did not lose traction. I punched the pedal about 75% through the turn.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Where in the turn are you guys hitting the throttle? I did a 2nd gear turn onto a wide, wet, road this morning. Hit about 3/4ths throttle and the car did not lose traction. I punched the pedal about 75% through the turn.

M

·
0 Posts
I have seen the wet performance of my tires drop significantly as the miles on them increase and the tread depth decreases...

In a straight line (such as on a highway) they do fine, better than average even. But, around the bends, it can be a little harrowing.

I would be very very careful driving even moderately aggressive in the rain.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In light rain, I've found that it's extremely easy to break the car loose when taking a turn at a moderate speed (~30mph). I wouldn't be putting too much faith in these tires in non-ideal conditions, but you should be fine as long as you drive with a little extra care. On a side note, I just switched over to Nokian NRW Hakkas for winter, and so far they've been great.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
here's a comparison. when i drove to work last night at 10pm it was "wet" out, just a light rain. i drove to work at 50mph, in a 30 zone. i was late, ok. so anyway, at 6am when i got out of work it was pouring and the roads look more like rivers. i had to drive at 25mph just to maintain control. every big puddle made me have to wrestle the car. i love the potenzas in the dry weather, but in the wet, while they do ok, i can certainly find a tire with better traction in the rain.

·
Registered
208 Posts
StuBrown said:
This seems a little curious to me.....I was just out tooling around, the roads are wet (although not puddling excessively) and going around a 90 degree corner at approx 10-15 MPH I managed to get it sideways by a light throttle tap in 2nd gear...it was controllable, but it still happened. It seems curious to me that Jim, with 4K on his RE07's, is still reporting good wet grip, while me, with 5K on them, had an instructor tell me how poorly he thought they did in conditions similar to Jim's report. (not doubting ya there Jim, just wondering out loud). Is it possible these skins go downhill rapidly once the 5K mark hits? It seems odd that we're getting such differing reports from folks running the same gear....
It could be that we have different expectations from the tires?

The car was certainly quite loose on power in the turns. With the power we have, I expect that from almost any tires in low grip situations. At the autox I was impressed by the tires wet performance in acceleration and braking.

In heavy rain, I could floor it in first gear on the RE070's and always have traction. By comparison, just this morning I floored it in 1st gear on my Sumitomo all seasons (at about 10 mph), and all four tires broke loose.

It could also be what my point of reference is. I daily drove a Type R for 5 years, so that is what I'm used to driving hard in the rain.

I should also note that the RE070's can look very different at the same mileage. I did another autox this weekend, and one of the STi's there had almost no tread on the outside of his tires, even though he only had 6k miles on the car. (he had done some track days on them already)

Jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts