IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive had my STi for about a week and I find myself always bogging down when I attempt to accelerate quickly in first. :evil: Could some one tell me how to improve this and please dont say just take it to four grand and dump the clutch... ive heard it too much. I want to be able to launch well at the track and still keep my tranny and such smooth.thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
i have not found a middle ground. Either you slip it and get that wonderful smell, start like normal and then floor it, or dump it above 5 grand.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
From everything I have heard, there is no better way than rev n' dump.

But I haven't heard anything about this causing dammage to people's cars.

Honestly, as long as the torque doesn't just rip your tranny right out, you'll get less wear and car dammage by just dumping it as fast as you can. Slipping is when you wear the clutch.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
forsale: STI stock re070 225/45R17 bridgestone potenza tires

Blip throttle from 5500-6000 rpm (keep in boost) , make sure the DCCD is in full open (last - bottom - triangle) or one triangle from the bottom up. Then just pop the clutch out slow but quick, you'll be able to feel it out after a while. do it right and you'll hear a little tire spin, launch like mad, and it will feel that you didnt damage anything and you will find the car is MADE to do this. and you'll do it over and over and over and over ;)

Robert~

this also depends on mods, i get tire spin from launch at 4900rpm+,so if you bog, raise the stakes some and raise your rpm you go from. Ideal would be tire spin and then grab at ~4XXX rpm at max torque and just take off. Good luck, you'll love it and this is the best part of the car. The pull is insane.

·
Registered
949 Posts
last 2 times i tried to launch it, i got a nasty burnt smell from the clutch.
there was no wheelspin @ all, so i have to assume i was cookin the clutch?!?!
am i not letting the clutch out fast enough, or too fast?
i believe my rpm's were about 4000-4500 when i would drop the clutch

·
Registered
382 Posts
there was no wheelspin @ all, so i have to assume i was cookin the clutch?!?!
i believe my rpm's were about 4000-4500 when i would drop the clutch
either pump up your tire pressure, or go higher with revs. Oh, and for the clutch, either dump it, or keep your foot on and let out as fast as you can.

On a different note, has anyone found any benefits in using throttle blipping to launch on boost.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
STI owners in the Southern Indiana area

i assume that blipping the throttle keeps you in boost... and this is good because it will give you that extra hp to spin the tires a little and make it NOT bog , which is good.(That and pickup should obviously be better as you're already in boost = no lag). I found each of my launches to be successful now as I have slightwheel spin, mad launch, and no clutch burn or sounds of tranny damage. 2nd triangle from the bottom seems to be the best as it seems to have the least amount of spin, but no boggin still.

Robert~

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
For real drag strip type launches, rev to redline and let clutch up as fast as you can :D

Guaranteed to snap your head back. I know the son-in-law of the president of SOA and he got to participate in the abuse tests of the STi. They did 7k clutch drops until something broke. That something was an axle. which they replaced and could not get anything else to break.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
lol how many times did it take for the axel to break? DId they just keep doing it over and over (to where you'll eventually get something so hot it'll start warping/bending) or did they let it cool down or something?

Robert~

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
They just hammered on it for as long as they could. I really wish I could have helped out....

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have read some of the posts and I would say that the STi definitely isn't MADE to be a drag car, it can do it :) but something will take damage, its called wear and tear, and charging thru gears and launching hard will make some things take damage. if not the clutch the, joints and drive line will.. Car might not break within the first 30K miles but it will definietly not hold up as long as a STi that did not get this treatment..

This is not a flame post, just some input on the topic, and maybe a different way to view it :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
'02 WRX For Sale Like New

Uhhh, isn't that true with any vehicle?

Did you buy your STi just to look at it and kill it's spirit? Or did you buy it for it to do what it was made for? Which is race. Whether it be drag, auto-x, SOLO, or whatever...

Go Sc00by go!

·
Registered
347 Posts
All forms of racing are NOT the same. There are transmissions that are much better suited for drag racing than that in the STi. Show me an NHRA top fuel car participating in the WRC to convince me otherwise.

FWIW, I was at an autocross event where a FHI transmission engineer was in attendance, and he was strongly suggesting that you avoid hard launches in the STi. I didn't ask him for any proof or documentation (he didn't speak English very well anyway), but I figure there aren't many better people to trust on that topic.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sc00by said:
Uhhh, isn't that true with any vehicle?

Did you buy your STi just to look at it and kill it's spirit? Or did you buy it for it to do what it was made for? Which is race. Whether it be drag, auto-x, SOLO, or whatever...

Go Sc00by go!
it is still just a 4 door passenger car with some beefed up components and powerful motor, it is by no means a WRC car, it is not bullet proof, I wasn't saying anything about not wanting to drive the car hard, all I said was that the car isnt built for drag racing. auto-x and solo isnt all about drop clutch at red line which makes life on your tranny alot easier

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Drag racing is brutal on a motor, tranny and suspension. i find it best to just hammer it from a 5mph rollout. that way you're already going and it won't send your clutch plates and flywheel through your floor. you'll still get wicked acceleration. besides, an AWD car is'nt all that good for the drags anyway. sure if your racing on wet pavement you'll definately get better traction than a guy in a Camaro. RWD is defiantely the hot ticket for hard launches. although admittedly the FWD guys are making a hard effort at it too. what was the last time you saw a drag racing class that featured AWD platforms?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
when was the last time you saw a drag racing class that was street legal?

they use RWD cause all their weight is sitting over the rear wheels. For a street car that's not massively rear-biased in weight, awd definately gives better acceleration.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
crazytrain said:
FWIW, I was at an autocross event where a FHI transmission engineer was in attendance, and he was strongly suggesting that you avoid hard launches in the STi. I didn't ask him for any proof or documentation (he didn't speak English very well anyway), but I figure there aren't many better people to trust on that topic.
Whats the point of awd for racing if you cant launch ? ;) ... I figured as long as you spin the tires , the strain on the tranny / drivetrain wouldnt be too harsh. Now launch and bog it a bunch, i could see how it would hurt the drivetrain, but... whenever I launch and get the tires to spin it seems to transfer all the force to the ground and I dont see any problems with it? *shrug* Im not a FHI tranny engineer tho.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
when was the last time you saw a drag racing class that was street legal?
they use RWD cause all their weight is sitting over the rear wheels. For a street car that's not massively rear-biased in weight, awd definately gives better acceleration
Bitabur, i hate to be the bearer of bad news but i officially believe you have no idea what you are talking about. first of all there are lots of street legal drag racing classes. is there legal street racing? no, and thats a differant matter. also cars that are RWD are not rear biased in weight. its exactly the opposite. RWD cars are usually 60/40 front to rear with most of the weight over the front tires. on on hard launch the idea is to transfer weight to the rear tires to plant them for maximum traction. thats why FWD cars are not as effecient at hard acceleration. under hard acceleration the weight always shifts to the rear of a car. in a FWD car this unloads the front tires. thats physics for you. as for AWD being best for acceleration...nope. AWD setups are heavier and there is more power loss through the drivetrain, percentage wise. think about it, if AWD was the best way to accelerate Top Fuel Dragsters would be AWD instead of RWD. do some research before you post. yes AWD is amazing, but its not a universal cure for every performance application.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts