IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just broke 1000 miles on my sti and i tried to launch it, but all it did was kinda jump and then it started to jerk. I held the clutch down hit the gas till my car hit 3000 rpm and then let off the clutch and floored it and thats what happened. Is that right what i'm doing? help please.

-RJ

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
there has been posts about launching before. everyones got different opinions, to get the best times you have to be brutal hold the throttle wide open and let the clutch out above 6000 at least. u could be nicer and launch at like 5000 or so letting it out smooth but you will burn some clutch and wont be as quick.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Thank you!

Yeah, and burnt clutch smells pretty bad, too. I'd just drop it and let'er fly!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've done a bit of launching practice and found that the higher the revs the faster the launch but the harder on the car and slipping the clutch means smell and eventually a broken clutch. If you turn the DCCD off auto and kick it all the way to the rear, I was able to launch much more cleanly from lower rpms. It seems that with the DCCD on auto, when you gas it to 3500 or so and let out the clutch, the car tries to adjust all of that instant power into the AWD DCCD system and it bogs the system down, resulting in the lurching.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
that video was with the DCCD in auto mode. It was induced by an ebrake slide, I shifted into first while still sliding and they dropped the clutch. The car did a nice axis spin just like a WRX will do in the snow/ice. Took about a thousand miles off the tires, but otherwise was very fun. Now I need to rotate the tires at 2,00 miles :( :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Technically it wasn't in auto-mode if you were doing an e-brake slide. The second you lift on the e-brake it puts the car in "free differential" mode. :)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
true, but as soon as I released the ebrake and got back on the gas doing the spin it was in auto mode.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm sitting here, reading this thread, and all I can think is........

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

Boing!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
That takes some nuts to tach out the engine like that and then let go of the clutch. All I can think of is the smell of burning plastic and metal. Not sure I am going to be doing too many of those with mine.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
bigman32 said:
That takes some nuts to tach out the engine like that and then let go of the clutch. All I can think of is the smell of burning plastic and metal. Not sure I am going to be doing too many of those with mine.
Once you've done it a few times and realize that the car is built to handle it all you smell is a little bit of tire smoke and the brakes when you have to put them on to slow your ass down :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Back windows question.

bi11y said:
a lot of guts or a lot of stupidity...
My vote is for the 2nd option! Makes me feel better about never having the time to drive my STI. Cause at least i am not doing things like that to it. Peace!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
For me the launch is nothing compared to finding the other gears. This tranny is so different for me that I'm having a hard time getting used to 3rd and 5th and 4th and 6th.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm still teaching myself how to drive a stick. 2nd through 6th aren't that much of a problem for me (anymore). 1st, on the other hand...

There's nothing like rush-hour traffic to get you used to a new car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts