IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really don't have the $$$ to buy a new set of wheels to run winter tires on. so i am just curious how bad it is to just run winter tires on the stock BBS wheels? i already have some bad scratches on them from when i had a run in with a cement guard post. so basically, whats the worst that could happen to the BBS wheels over winter? assuming i kept them clean i don't see what the harm would be? also, anyone know what the retail is on the BBS wheels that come on the STi are? it was my belief that you can't get them unless you buy them on an STi.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm right with you on this one; I could only afford winter tires this year (the dedicated wheels will have to wait until next year). So I had them mounted on the stock wheels. I have a few nicks on one wheel from a close encounter with a curb also, but the rest are fine. I figure I'll just have to clean them more often to keep typical winter driving gunk off them, but they should stand up just fine. I've had BBS wheels on other vehicles, and they can take the punishment.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The BBS wheels should be fine assuming you don't slide into a curb or rub them up against a snow covered curb you couldn't see.

They are an expensive wheel to replace so I opted for winter wheels and tires myself, but if you are careful the wheels themselves should be fine with snow and road salt if you clean them frequently.

Actually, the biggest risk I could think of was some new kid at Discount Tire scrapping my BBS wheels on the machine they use to put tires on wheels. I avoid this potential scenario entirely with separate wheels and tires for winter. At least until I need to replace the OEM tires.

In short, winter wheels and tires are ideal but, if you're careful, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Put some wax on them. I always wax mine when I wax my car. For winter my dad puts wax on his aluminum wheels but does not wipe it off. They look like crap but come spring they clean up great. BTW, I have seen the STi BBS wheels selling new for around $800 each online.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ok, I'm going to one up you guys. How bad would it be to run the stock tires too? I've survived with RE92's on another subaru before, which don't seem to have the best rep for snow.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
lupohki said:
Ok, I'm going to one up you guys. How bad would it be to run the stock tires too? I've survived with RE92's on another subaru before, which don't seem to have the best rep for snow.
I'd say you'd be a jackass just for trying. The tires basically turn to plastic below 40F.

-st

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
crashsti said:
i really don't have the $$$ to buy a new set of wheels to run winter tires on. so i am just curious how bad it is to just run winter tires on the stock BBS wheels? i already have some bad scratches on them from when i had a run in with a cement guard post. so basically, whats the worst that could happen to the BBS wheels over winter? assuming i kept them clean i don't see what the harm would be? also, anyone know what the retail is on the BBS wheels that come on the STi are? it was my belief that you can't get them unless you buy them on an STi.
You'll be fine, the BBS finish is basically the most durable paint finish you can get on a wheel. You will have to keep the brake dust off them though, that is what stains the wheel. You really need to clean them about every 7-10 days IMO.

-st

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
lupohki said:
Huge difference between the all season RE92s and the summer performance RE070s. You could have 10 wheel drive but with onion skins for tires you would not go very far in snow. You need a more chunky thread to dig into the snow. Even dry roads when it is below freezing would not be fun.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Just look at the tread pattern on those stock tires.... They should NOT be used in snow... probably not even more than light rain.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have used Yokohama A-520's Yokohama Parada's and RE 92's and will use the RE-070 in winter. Its not that bad I think :) when its really snowy traffic goes so slow that you can walk at the speed of the traffic moving.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Re: Turbo Replacement/Upgrade Recommendations

yxan2 said:
I have used Yokohama A-520's Yokohama Parada's and RE 92's and will use the RE-070 in winter. Its not that bad I think :) when its really snowy traffic goes so slow that you can walk at the speed of the traffic moving.
It is not a good idea to run the RE070's in the snow. They DO NOT have a mud and snow rating, it is strictly a summer use only tire. Buy something cheap to get you through the winter and put the RE070's back on in the spring. A few hundred dollars is better than $30k!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Besides, it'll be cheaper in the long run, and more proformance-positive to use those low-mile rated tires when the weather accomodates.

All-weather tires are cheaper than soft compound high-performance tires....

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
yxan2 said:
Yeah wait till that slow traffic comes to a hill or when you stop and need to get going again, especially if you stop on a hill. You will sit there with your tires spinning and with AWD I wouldn't be surprised if you start to go sideways more than forward. I have seen sports cars only make it half way up a hill and no more. With performance tires the worst part is trying to get going from a stop, not to mention turning and even stopping with that thread.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hopefully you are joking. Not only would you be putting yourself at risk by trying to run the RE070's in the snow, but everyone else on the road around you.

If you own an STI then hopefully you didn't over-extend yourself financially purchasing the car to the point where a few hundred dollars for a set of snow tires will change your lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Noise when upshifting 4th - 5th

i actually have some experience running the stock STi tires in the mud. one day i misjudged a turn and found myself in a pasture. it was very muddy. i did'nt think i'd be able to drive out with the "summer only" Potenzas. to my surprise the Potenzas actually grip pretty well in the mud, which i would attribute to the wide grooves in the tires. they throw the mud off instead of holding it in the tread. However in the end i was unable to get out. it was a small incline back to the road and not enough grip was available to get me out. BUY WINTER TIRES or at least a set all of all seasons.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
get whatever tire you like. most tire makers are using similar technology these days. it all depends on how much money you want to spend and what type of driving you'll be doing in the winter. if you don't plan on driving like a maniac you can get away with a tire that has a lower speed rating. i live in western MA and we tend to get some nasty winter weather so i'll be looking at a tire with better snow/ice traction than high speed performance. i like the Blizzak LM-22. i think thats the one, but its more tire than i'll ever use.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Running the stock STI tires in the snow is like comitting suicide :) DONT DO IT!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts