IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, When I step on the clutch bring it to first. Release the clutch alittle bit till the car starts to move. I don't give it gas. How Bad is it to my clutch. I do the same when I reversing out slow.

·
Premium Member
4,120 Posts
do you not know how to drive a manual? That is the way to release the clutch. What you dont want to do is "ride" the clutch at high RPM. Suby clutches will not last long if you are "Riding" the clutch....

·
Registered
802 Posts
cusco said:
Okay, When I step on the clutch bring it to first. Release the clutch alittle bit till the car starts to move. I don't give it gas. How Bad is it to my clutch. I do the same when I reversing out slow.
Like 2fast4u said, that isn't considered riding the clutch. That's feathering the clutch which allows you to take off smoothley. Riding it is where you leave your foot on the clutch pedal causing partial engagement while you are driving which may allow it to slip.

·
Immoderate
5,702 Posts
It is okay to ease the clutch from disengagement into full engagement. In fact it is the right way to do it. It is emphatically NOT okay to continue to ride, feather, or otherwise allow the clutch to slip beyond the time it takes to smoothly engage it. Example 1: sitting in traffic on a hill and using the clutch to keep the car in place == BAD. Example 2: using the clutch engagement to control your car's speed while reversing == BAD.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
wdb said:
It is okay to ease the clutch from disengagement into full engagement. In fact it is the right way to do it. It is emphatically NOT okay to continue to ride, feather, or otherwise allow the clutch to slip beyond the time it takes to smoothly engage it. Example 1: sitting in traffic on a hill and using the clutch to keep the car in place == BAD. Example 2: using the clutch engagement to control your car's speed while reversing == BAD.
What he said! I remember my dad used to tell me not to try to keep the car in place with the clutch when on a hill, when I was learning to drive stick on our family car back in 1988, Peugeot 305 :naughty:.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, Im Kinda new to driving manual. So that is not call riding the clutch. Its the process for you too take off smoothly. and not that bad for the clutch? Im I wrong or right?

·
Registered
347 Posts
You are correct sir, when you take off from a stop smoothly there really isnt enough force to burn up the clutch anyway, the car is either going to move or stall. WDB lists excellent examples of what not to do with the clutch at slow speeds. If you are trying to take off aggressively or shifting hard and you ride/slip the clutch yes wear will occur far more prematurely. Bottom line is this, if you are giving the car gas and letting out the clutch but the car isnt moving and you can feel the clutch slip then you are doing some damage, the go pedal plus a clutch that isnt fully engaged is a no no.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts