IW STi Forum banner

How are tou guys doing against tuned GTI's?

13K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  Karlot 
#1 ·
Just wondering how everyone else does when racing gti's. Those things are MEAN on a 40 roll! They have suprised the hell out of me!

#2 ·
Yea they have 1+ less passenger (weight) and put the power down more efficiently.
Those 2.0T's can be cranked up pretty well too.
Still though, stage for stage the sti is going to pull, and if there are corners involved, he's gunna wish he had the R.

#4 ·
Yea they have 1+ less passenger (weight) and put the power down more efficiently.
Those 2.0T's can be cranked up pretty well too.
Still though, stage for stage the sti is going to pull, and if there are corners involved, he's gunna wish he had the R.
I talked to the owner the other day. 2020 gti with a catted arm dp, tip, intake, hpfp and an e85 tune from eqt. He was still on the is20 turbo. I love my sti, but man, I could not keep up on a 40 roll! I definitely have some more respect for them!

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
I had a 2016 mk7 two door GTI with piggyback, catless dp, and big IC. The trick is whether or not it is a manual or dsg. My STI would be quicker than my manual GTI up until 100-110 mph. The GTI would lay rubber in 1-2 gear pretty bad. Plus the VW manuals are nowhere as good as the STI 6 speed.

The only way I see keeping up with dsg gti is using the Cobb AP “flat foot shift” feature with a stage 1 plus tuning or more. If your losing boost on the shifts any good automatic will win. A rotated turbo setup on E85 would help. ;).

I came from a mid 11 second 122 trap a10 mustang. I could run with a lot of big hp stuff from 40-110 mph in that. You cannot beat an todays auto in straight line stuff all things being equal.

Moral of story is pick other “manual shift” cars for more realistic straight line racing…imo.

#9 · (Edited)
The only way I see keeping up with dsg gti is using the Cobb AP “flat foot shift” feature with a stage 1 plus tuning or more. If your losing boost on the shifts any good automatic will win. A rotated turbo setup on E85 would help. ;).
  • Do not loose boost during shifts
  • More power to start with (build)
  • longer gearing - only with the above more
  • Possible raise redline, (I've never done this or the required head-work - what is really important is usable power band)

Most importantly:
* DO NOT HIGH FUEL CUT!!!

Story if I can find it.
Three strikes and I'm out :)

I once left a light with a RAM on my right.Hit fuel cut in first three gears, He was still side by side so let him go. Faceplant :)
Was very soon after that I went to longer gearing :)

#7 ·
AWD cars are terrible from a roll. That's where FWD shines.

but I dont street race anymore. I had an 08 Cobalt SS that put down 320/420 on 91 at 25 psi on stock turbo and was super quick from a roll and 348/457 on E85 stock turbo.
2008 SRT4 Caliber here. Made 358/368 on pump gas and deadly from 3rd gear roll. Used to pull everything behind the front seats for weight reduction. Fun cars.

#11 ·
I think the Cobalts where 150-200 pounds lighter than the Calibers. The turbo ones got really fast without a lot of mods. Oh the days of torque steer. lol.
No shit

I dont miss torque steer, nor do I miss the shitty 5 speed F35 the Cobalts had that if you looked at 3rd gear wrong, would explode.

People bitch about the STi engine, but the transmission/drivetrain is damn near bulletproof.

#12 ·
People bitch about the STi engine, but the transmission/drivetrain is damn near bulletproof.
Amen! Bader Built just threw in a stock STI transmission behind his newest 1100 whp build. Look up his youtube.

#30 ·
@AustinSedz great question. I think top gear way back in the day said that 300hp is the limit for FWD, and even that I think is optimistic.

and as for Canada and the CTR, pretty much any 2wd does fantastic in the snow, but there are limits. My one friend has a steep driveway, apparently took him 45 minutes to get out with shoveling and putting down sand/grit. (Yes with snow tires!)

whereas the STi and the RS are truly unstoppable in the snow. Now that I’ve gone awd I don’t think I could ever go back

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Sky

#32 ·
I had an 08 Cobalt SS that was FBO with e85 making 343 whp, 457 ft lbs of torque with a nasty 30 psi spike on the stock k04 turbo and it was useless in 1st 2nd, and part of 3rd gear.

From a 40 roll it was crazy fast. I swapped to an EFR 6758 and made ~400 whp and 380 wtq with it and it was a bit better but still torque steered like a boss. It had an LSD transmission as well.

I put 100k miles on it when I sold it in 2015 like this, and the next owner was still driving it a couple of years ago when i ran into him. It had 150k miles on it, with the factory clutch.

#33 ·
I had an 08 Cobalt SS that was FBO with e85 making 343 whp, 457 ft lbs of torque with a nasty 30 psi spike on the stock k04 turbo and it was useless in 1st 2nd, and part of 3rd gear.

From a 40 roll it was crazy fast. I swapped to an EFR 6758 and made ~400 whp and 380 wtq with it and it was a bit better but still torque steered like a boss. It had an LSD transmission as well.

I put 100k miles on it when I sold it in 2015 like this, and the next owner was still driving it a couple of years ago when i ran into him. It had 150k miles on it, with the factory clutch.
Agreed, the torque steer is fun though. I had an 08 SRT4 with bolt on’s that made 358/368 on pump gas. When I pulled the back seat and all the crap it was 3000 pounds. Same thing with 1st and 2nd. Roll car only. Surprised a ton of people on hwy though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.