IW STi Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how everyone else does when racing gti's. Those things are MEAN on a 40 roll! They have suprised the hell out of me!

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Yea they have 1+ less passenger (weight) and put the power down more efficiently.
Those 2.0T's can be cranked up pretty well too.
Still though, stage for stage the sti is going to pull, and if there are corners involved, he's gunna wish he had the R.

Registered
All depends if it鈥檚 the DSG or not. Granted my STi is still in the driveway, my experience is with my focus RS. Gti鈥檚 are child鈥檚 play, but a golf R with the dsg and simple mods/tune are shockingly fast. Also the awd system is just fine (only people who鈥檝e never driven them hard complain about the haldex setup)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea they have 1+ less passenger (weight) and put the power down more efficiently.
Those 2.0T's can be cranked up pretty well too.
Still though, stage for stage the sti is going to pull, and if there are corners involved, he's gunna wish he had the R.
I talked to the owner the other day. 2020 gti with a catted arm dp, tip, intake, hpfp and an e85 tune from eqt. He was still on the is20 turbo. I love my sti, but man, I could not keep up on a 40 roll! I definitely have some more respect for them!

Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
I had a 2016 mk7 two door GTI with piggyback, catless dp, and big IC. The trick is whether or not it is a manual or dsg. My STI would be quicker than my manual GTI up until 100-110 mph. The GTI would lay rubber in 1-2 gear pretty bad. Plus the VW manuals are nowhere as good as the STI 6 speed.

The only way I see keeping up with dsg gti is using the Cobb AP 鈥渇lat foot shift鈥 feature with a stage 1 plus tuning or more. If your losing boost on the shifts any good automatic will win. A rotated turbo setup on E85 would help. ;).

I came from a mid 11 second 122 trap a10 mustang. I could run with a lot of big hp stuff from 40-110 mph in that. You cannot beat an todays auto in straight line stuff all things being equal.

Moral of story is pick other 鈥渕anual shift鈥 cars for more realistic straight line racing鈥mo.

Registered
AWD cars are terrible from a roll. That's where FWD shines.

but I dont street race anymore. I had an 08 Cobalt SS that put down 320/420 on 91 at 25 psi on stock turbo and was super quick from a roll and 348/457 on E85 stock turbo.

Registered
AWD cars are terrible from a roll. That's where FWD shines.

but I dont street race anymore. I had an 08 Cobalt SS that put down 320/420 on 91 at 25 psi on stock turbo and was super quick from a roll and 348/457 on E85 stock turbo.
2008 SRT4 Caliber here. Made 358/368 on pump gas and deadly from 3rd gear roll. Used to pull everything behind the front seats for weight reduction. Fun cars.

Registered
2008 SRT4 Caliber here. Made 358/368 on pump gas and deadly from 3rd gear roll. Used to pull everything behind the front seats for weight reduction. Fun cars.
Yeah, they are no joke. Used to surprise so many people cause nobody knew Cobalts were turbo. They all thought they were slow ass Supercharged.

I sent the gap on a few turbo Honda's and a newer Taurus SHO on E85 one time in Mexico and they were like. Holy fuck that things fast. They all thought it had to be turbo swapped but it was just a little k04. The SS's dont weigh anything though.

Premium Member
See about
The only way I see keeping up with dsg gti is using the Cobb AP 鈥渇lat foot shift鈥 feature with a stage 1 plus tuning or more. If your losing boost on the shifts any good automatic will win. A rotated turbo setup on E85 would help. ;).
  • Do not loose boost during shifts
  • More power to start with (build)
  • longer gearing - only with the above more
  • Possible raise redline, (I've never done this or the required head-work - what is really important is usable power band)

Most importantly:
* DO NOT HIGH FUEL CUT!!!

Story if I can find it.
Three strikes and I'm out :)

I once left a light with a RAM on my right.Hit fuel cut in first three gears, He was still side by side so let him go. Faceplant :)
Was very soon after that I went to longer gearing :)

Registered
Yeah, they are no joke. Used to surprise so many people cause nobody knew Cobalts were turbo. They all thought they were slow ass Supercharged.

I sent the gap on a few turbo Honda's and a newer Taurus SHO on E85 one time in Mexico and they were like. Holy fuck that things fast. They all thought it had to be turbo swapped but it was just a little k04. The SS's dont weigh anything though.
I think the Cobalts where 150-200 pounds lighter than the Calibers. The turbo ones got really fast without a lot of mods. Oh the days of torque steer. lol.

Registered
I think the Cobalts where 150-200 pounds lighter than the Calibers. The turbo ones got really fast without a lot of mods. Oh the days of torque steer. lol.
No shit

I dont miss torque steer, nor do I miss the shitty 5 speed F35 the Cobalts had that if you looked at 3rd gear wrong, would explode.

People bitch about the STi engine, but the transmission/drivetrain is damn near bulletproof.

Registered
People bitch about the STi engine, but the transmission/drivetrain is damn near bulletproof.
Amen! Bader Built just threw in a stock STI transmission behind his newest 1100 whp build. Look up his youtube.

Premium Member
Just curius if anyone on here is contemplating on selling their STI for the new MK8 Golf R? My local VW dealer has 3 en-route in August.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Just curius if anyone on here is contemplating on selling their STI for the new MK8 Golf R? My local VW dealer has 3 en-route in August.
Back when I was searching for a daily, my criteria was not fwd, manual, and preferably a hatch.
The Focus RS, Golf R and Sti were pretty well most of my options.
Evo was a hard pass cause while the engine is good, the interior is awful (again, daily).
Used, the RS was in the 40k range so LOL (Canadian), Golf R was in the low to mid 30's, and the Sti was in the high teens to mid 20's.
For what you get in the car, the Golf R isn't worth more or even the same as an Sti IMO.
Sure it's better on gas... and more finely combed... but for the difference on the used market, you can buy a lot of gas for 10k.
The Golf R feels like an entry-level Audi with a plastic interior IMO.
Sure it's quick, but I'd sooner pick up an A3 tdi if I was going in that 'direction'.
I like that the sti is longitudinal, so you avoid the inevitable haldex, or a version of it, so it drives how I 'like' dynamically.
There is also massive aftermarket support for the sti that nobody else worth mentioning can really shake a stick at.
When people tell me they have or are getting a Golf R I give them props, because it's not a bad car, and if that's what they are into they probably won't be into an sti, but I wouldn't put my own money towards one.
An RS3 hatch though.... if those were on our side of the pond, there would already be one in my driveway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts