IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 STI that I recently had intake and exhaust work done to. In short, cat delete and straight piped with resonator still intact. The performance gains are great for now, but I can’t stand how the exhaust went from a deeper (yet quiet) tone to a loud as hell trumpet-like sound when accelerating. Is it something I have to deal with, does it have to do with the Nameless muffler delete which is a smaller diameter tube compared to the attached pipe, or does it have to do with the shape of the exhaust tips on the muffler delete? I seriously need to get rid of the horrible blapping noise, it’s definitely not the Subi rumble. Please help.

List of parts/work that have been done:

COBB Accessport
Pro tune
IAG air oil separator
One step colder plugs
Cold air intake
Wideband o2 sensor with AEM gauge
Electronic Boost Control System
TGV deletes
Tomioka Racing unequal manifold 3 bolt
Tomioka midpipe 3 bolt fitted for 44mm WG
Tial 44mm WG
TurboSmart catless down-pipe
Nameless muffler delete

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sounds like what you're talking about is most likely to do with muffler deletes. I personally think muffler deletes sound horrible and are obnoxiously loud. I would recommend going with a cat back exhaust to help turn down the noise. BTW the exhaust system will always be louder now that you have eliminated the cat.

Just an fyi, a cat delete with a resonator is not a straight pipe. A staight pipe is no cats, no resonator, no muffler. Its literally exhaust piping from the turbo all the way to the back.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's because the only thing you have to muffle the sound at all is a resonator. And those are more to control the tone than to actually quiet the exhaust.

Those muffler deletes are usually meant to be used with a stock downpipe and midpipe. The stock cats do a TON of muffling. Add a muffler back in and you'll be happy again -- tons of them out there to choose from ranging from near-stock to barely below the volume you have now.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I had the same experience, and it sounded good. it was just way too loud.

if you add a cat, it will quiet it down but not by much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts