IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible (and if so, how hard is it) and would it be safe to change the hood scoop? I know it is larger than the WRX one due to performance reasons. I am ok with it being taller or wider or whatever, but the profile view of my car is just going to look a little awkward with the scoop jutting forward like it does. Any suggestions? Just suck it up and blow by anyone laughing at me?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Unlike the standard WRX, I believe the scoop on the STi is integrated into the hood. I don't think it would be possible to swap it out without cutting the old one out and grafting a new one in. Not for the faint of heart or lacking in bodywork skills.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
we are going to have the ultimate Rice CAR but i Like it :)

Your best suggestion is to try and get an entire WRX hood to replace it and try that. Otherwise you are probably going to have a complete aftermarket hood. Its going to be pricey. Why do you want to do this? B/c of the "overbite?" Its all about function my man.

Of course once the aftermarket hits on this car you could get a reverse scoop (looks like the Evo hood) with the cutouts and a Front-mounted intercooler. This is an option, but I wouldn't do it unless I modded this thing heavily.

·
Registered
575 Posts
ah cmon :) I think they could make the scoop a tad bigger :) it should be able to eat little babies thru it, so there is room for improvement

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
there's soon be carbon fiber hoods available. i recently found one on the web for the wrx. now that'll be a chunk of change. would look good on a black car tho'.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
jbhebert said:
The hood on the WRX and the STi are already aluminum. I can't see going to carbon fiber for anything other than aethetics.
but everyone knows carbon fiber add 15hp... :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
What did you choose for SOA email survey?

chawklit said:
and don't forget +5 hp more with decals :lol:
I have 4 BIG stickers and an APC windshield decal; is that +5 at the wheels or crank? :wink:

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
boost gauge in pic 3 on brochure

Get an axe and make speed holes like Homer Simpson...dunno if that actually adds hp, it probably just reduces drag and weight :lol:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Just out of curiousity, why would they integrate the scoop? It would make no functional difference to make it a 'bolt on' piece with a seal.

Until I see it in person, I can't believe they add that kind of complexity to the assembly of the hood by making it a permanent piece. We know the hood is aluminum.....we know the scoop isn't. At one time they had to be two different pieces. I'm going to bet there is a reversible method of attachment.

However.....I have yet to see a different scoop on any of the JDM cars...including those at the Tokyo Auto Salon....so who knows.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Subaru might have felt that for a limitted production vehicle like the STi, it was cheaper/easier to form the hood as one unit rather than having 2 pieces. But that's just a guess. Regardless, I like the seamless look of the STi hood much better than the 2 piece hood on the WRX. Seams are bad.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
jbhebert said:
Subaru might have felt that for a limitted production vehicle like the STi, it was cheaper/easier to form the hood as one unit...
i was wondering what the manufacturing process could be to make a one piece hood. can you do it with stamping!? (how do you get the "overbite"?) is the scoop welded to the hood; e.g requiring hand work? (i know *zero* about this kinda stuff.)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'm an engineer and have gone through the manufacturing classes. I can't think of any possible method to make that hood in one piece. Regardless...they are two different materials. The hood and scoop were at one time two different pieces.

If they have permanently bonded them somehow....who knows.....

Look at this picture though.....

You can clearly see the rolled lip where the aluminum hood stops and the scoop comes up from underneath.

Just out of curiousity....has anyone heard or seen any kind of evidence that the scoop isn't just bolted in from the underside?

·
Registered
575 Posts
of course it would be bolted just like any subaru with hood scoop out there, Remember the STi is just a modified WRX as far as body parts go I think that they will have very similar parts and assembly...

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Just out of curiousity....has anyone heard or seen any kind of evidence that the scoop isn't just bolted in from the underside?
it looks like it's bolted:

a photoshop'd detail:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts