IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of the fastline motorsports hood-scoop screen installation I just did:

It can be purchased from: http://www.fastlineonline.com/products.php

Sure I could have gotten a hold of the material myself for much cheaper but hey, I'm a sucker for convenience. 8)

All this is, is a piece of nice screen and six tiny black zip-ties to strap it down. I only had to do minor cutting of the sides of the screen with snips to get it to fit properly. It was kind of a pain to get the two plastic push-pins off of that hood liner without breaking them. :wink: It is necessary to pull up the hood liner on each side to get at the last few screws which hold on the under-side assembly which consists of the big gasket and air channelling things. It is also necessary to remove this under-side scoop assembly in order to get to the last few nuts that hold the scoop itself on. :x

Click here for image 1 in its original resolution of 1600x1200

Click here for image 2 in its original resolution of 1600x1200

Click here for image 3 in its original resolution of 1600x1200

·
Registered
87 Posts
how 'bout you pain it black to match the grill on the front???...just a suggestion...either way it looks nice tho...good job! 8) :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I will be ordering one of those. Detailing the car yesterday and I noticed a couple IC fins were bent from a rock or something and of course a lot of bugs. Have to get a screen ASAP. I emailed these guys a while ago about a screen for the 04 STi and they said they should have one in a few weeks, that was a couple months ago. If I knew this one would have worked I would have ordered it then. One thing I like about this screen is where it is mounted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Scuba Steve, do you mind sharing your installation tips? It looks very good. How about some pictures from underneath, too? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
oh what a ride

Looks like that same stuff I used for the grills on my Celica....the precut gutter guard......$1.88 per 6"x4' piece. Looks very well done...both of you.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Re: WRX vs. STi

hee, hee... a local FRY's electronics was selling a sheet like that... oh maybe 4 feet by like 1 feet. something like $20...

time to hit home depot and start selling customized STi scoop covers. they will be $19.95. $24.95 for the pink STi logo...

:D :D :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scuba steve is that the really light flimsy aluminum gutter guard stuff that home depot has?

I probably should have got that but I got a sheet of 1/4" 23 guage hardware cloth.. havn't tried it yet but it might be to stiff plus its just square holes I think that stuff you got looks better mabye.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I used the same stuff.....it's not so flimsy when pulled up against 4 uprights with zip ties....well, strong enough for it to win against any rock or bug coming that way.

Before putting anything too "He-Man" in there, remember you don't want to restrict the flow too much. We are really only trying to stop/slow down debris with this shield, not filter the air for it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
So how do I get the first part off from under the hood?
I'm not sure how to get those little plastic things off the hood liner to get to the rest of the screws

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The first part (if you read my little speal on this install) comes down when you remove around 9 silver phillips screws and one plastic plug screw. Then that whole metal piece folds down out of the hood.

·
Registered
452 Posts
jcbx said:
how 'bout you pain it black to match the grill on the front???...just a suggestion...either way it looks nice tho...good job! 8) :wink:
Maybe it is just me, but I kind of like the clean silverish look (especially now that I have clear headlights...). Maybe I should put on the silver wire mesh on the scoop and do the same to the front grill to match it rather than painting the wire mesh black... :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts