IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pics of the fastline motorsports hood-scoop screen installation I just did:

It can be purchased from: http://www.fastlineonline.com/products.php

Sure I could have gotten a hold of the material myself for much cheaper but hey, I'm a sucker for convenience. 8)

All this is, is a piece of nice screen and six tiny black zip-ties to strap it down. I only had to do minor cutting of the sides of the screen with snips to get it to fit properly. It was kind of a pain to get the two plastic push-pins off of that hood liner without breaking them. :wink: It is necessary to pull up the hood liner on each side to get at the last few screws which hold on the under-side assembly which consists of the big gasket and air channelling things. It is also necessary to remove this under-side scoop assembly in order to get to the last few nuts that hold the scoop itself on. :x

Click here for image 1 in its original resolution of 1600x1200

Click here for image 2 in its original resolution of 1600x1200

Click here for image 3 in its original resolution of 1600x1200

·
Registered
87 Posts
how 'bout you pain it black to match the grill on the front???...just a suggestion...either way it looks nice tho...good job! 8) :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I will be ordering one of those. Detailing the car yesterday and I noticed a couple IC fins were bent from a rock or something and of course a lot of bugs. Have to get a screen ASAP. I emailed these guys a while ago about a screen for the 04 STi and they said they should have one in a few weeks, that was a couple months ago. If I knew this one would have worked I would have ordered it then. One thing I like about this screen is where it is mounted.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Re: WRX vs. STi

hee, hee... a local FRY's electronics was selling a sheet like that... oh maybe 4 feet by like 1 feet. something like $20...

time to hit home depot and start selling customized STi scoop covers. they will be $19.95. $24.95 for the pink STi logo...

:D :D :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Scuba steve is that the really light flimsy aluminum gutter guard stuff that home depot has?

I probably should have got that but I got a sheet of 1/4" 23 guage hardware cloth.. havn't tried it yet but it might be to stiff plus its just square holes I think that stuff you got looks better mabye.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I used the same stuff.....it's not so flimsy when pulled up against 4 uprights with zip ties....well, strong enough for it to win against any rock or bug coming that way.

Before putting anything too "He-Man" in there, remember you don't want to restrict the flow too much. We are really only trying to stop/slow down debris with this shield, not filter the air for it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The first part (if you read my little speal on this install) comes down when you remove around 9 silver phillips screws and one plastic plug screw. Then that whole metal piece folds down out of the hood.

·
Registered
452 Posts
jcbx said:
how 'bout you pain it black to match the grill on the front???...just a suggestion...either way it looks nice tho...good job! 8) :wink:
Maybe it is just me, but I kind of like the clean silverish look (especially now that I have clear headlights...). Maybe I should put on the silver wire mesh on the scoop and do the same to the front grill to match it rather than painting the wire mesh black... :p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.