IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question.... I will be driving from Detroit to Chicago in my 2008 STi tomorrow , I looked at the weather conditions and I found out it is not going to be a pleasent ride... Snow, snow, and more snow... I'm kind of worried for the Hood Scoop and the snow entering into it, will it have any effect on the intercooler or the engine ....??? can someone please anwser my question, i'm really worried .... not only the snow but sometimes i'm worried driving in the rain ....

·
I'm Jim Halpert
8,257 Posts
no effect. subaru wouldn't put a giant gaping hole in the hood if it mattered. plus theres even a water spray button so just think of it as holding the water spray button down for a very long time

·
Registered
314 Posts
Any snow or water coming into the scoop will not last long with the heat from the engine. You have no worries. Subaru would not release a car with a hood scoop if it wasn't supposed to be driven in any kind of bad weather.

·
Registered
813 Posts
if the snow and cold is that bad you will have other problems first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no effect. subaru wouldn't put a giant gaping hole in the hood if it mattered. plus theres even a water spray button so just think of it as holding the water spray button down for a very long time
This is what the owners manual states-
CAUTION
"Avoid prolonged continuous driving in snowstorms. Snow will enter the engine's intake system and may hinder the air flow, which could result in engine shutdown or even breakdown."

·
Registered
314 Posts
This is what the owners manual states-
CAUTION
"Avoid prolonged continuous driving in snowstorms. Snow will enter the engine's intake system and may hinder the air flow, which could result in engine shutdown or even breakdown."
The intake is completely different from the hood scoop. They have nothing in common.

·
Registered
116 Posts
We get lots of snow in MN and I think my GD likes it! (Many others say no problem also.) Rock on bro! :tup:

Just wait till your's eats a bird or something,... but that's another thread. :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
The only thing that is of concern is rocks and road debris coming in the scoop and denting the fins on the intercooler. This can be easily fixed by a $1 piece of Gutter Guard from a hardware shop.

·
Registered
813 Posts
try searching for snowstorm engine failure and if nobody on here has even heard of it I would believe you will be ok.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts