IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i recently found out that you can add a gallon of toulene/toluene mixed marvel mystery oil and get a good octane boost. is it bs or does it work and how often can i use it. i love my car and in cali were suck with crappy 91 octane and those $12 dollar octane boosters work but too expensive. any recommendations of the use of toulene or should i use something else?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
It works, but it doesn't have a dramatic effect on octane, and toluene/xylene are usually around $10/gal. There are other much more cost effective "traditional" ways of increasing octane - methanol injection, race gas, and torco being the top 3.

I can get 110oct and 112oct locally at the pump for $6.25/$6.95 per gal. For a while I was adding 3 gallons of 110 to every fillup of 93... it added $10 to the cost of a full tank of gas and brought the octane level up to 96+

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
spazegun2213 said:
Dude, if you are really that serious about giving your car the correct gas (which is 91 IIRC) just buy race gas.... a 50 gal drum is cheap.
where do you get it? the 50 gal drum?

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
the the toulene has been discussed before on the boards,

im with others saying, just go with the race gas

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jays05 said:
It works, but it doesn't have a dramatic effect on octane, and toluene/xylene are usually around $10/gal. There are other much more cost effective "traditional" ways of increasing octane - methanol injection, race gas, and torco being the top 3.

I can get 110oct and 112oct locally at the pump for $6.25/$6.95 per gal. For a while I was adding 3 gallons of 110 to every fillup of 93... it added $10 to the cost of a full tank of gas and brought the octane level up to 96+
uuhhh..... i live in california and havn't heard of pumping 110 cuz the best we got is 91 so pumping 93 or 110 can't happen unless i buy leaded gas which isn't too could emission control systems.

·
Registered
511 Posts
disturbed1 said:
uuhhh..... i live in california and havn't heard of pumping 110 cuz the best we got is 91 so pumping 93 or 110 can't happen unless i buy leaded gas which isn't too could emission control systems.
I live in Cali too and I can get sunoco 104 unleaded from a local vendor. Just look around for a place.

·
Registered
23 Posts
At the worst case, I used to get VP110 for my shifter kart at a local motorcycle shop. It came in 5 gallon drums. They sold VP98 which was unleaded; I'm sure you could fine someone selling Sunoco 104. $32 for 5 gallons, but this was two years ago.

The bonus is that you don't have a fifty-five gallon drum sitting around in your garage. Race gas smells. =P

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
disturbed1 said:
so i recently found out that you can add a gallon of toulene/toluene mixed marvel mystery oil and get a good octane boost. is it bs or does it work and how often can i use it. i love my car and in cali were suck with crappy 91 octane and those $12 dollar octane boosters work but too expensive. any recommendations of the use of toulene or should i use something else?
There was definitly just a discussion on this whole thing, check some recent threads ;)

Add 3 gallons of Toluene and a few ounces of MMO to at least a half tank of your normal 91.
Reset the ECU, go romp on it, and see if it feels different.
I have a feeling it will because you're used to 91 octane, and you'll end up being hooked on how your car runs on the higher octane :lol:
3 gallons of Toluene to a half tank of 91 is probably around 96-98 octane... I forgot the exact formula to figure it out, but it'll be much higher octane than your car is used to ;)

Here's the catch..
I don't know about where you live, but around here pretty much every place has banned Toluene and the only place I can consistantly get it is Sherwin Williams. It's normally $19.99 per gallon. That can add up real quick. Luckily, with a business discount, I can get 3 gallons for a little over 30 bucks.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
In my last job, I had access to all the toluene you could ever want. 10,000 liters every few days. Ahhh, the joys of pharmaceutical manufacturing. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts