IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chevron near my house was showing $2.03 for 87 octane today. Premium (91 octane) is $2.21. :eek: And this tends to be one of the cheaper stations in my area.

There's a 76 around here somewhere that sells 100+ octane race gas at the pump; I don't even want to know how much that's going for these days.

So what's the deal? Is it all Saddam's fault, with all the stuff over there legitimately affecting the market, or are the gas companies just using it as a convenient excuse to gouge us? :evil:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Honestly I think it is there way of making money, and then they feel they have an excuse (Sadaam) to jacking it up. So then we will feel, well they have a reason for jacking up the prices. Maybe?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I haven't noticed here in Chicago yet. I think I heard something the other day about the high cost per barrel of oil or something, but yeah it's more than likely just an excuse. Like when the week before a holiday gas prices happen to go up. It's BS. Also up in the north burbs where I work gas tends to be sometimes as much as $.15 more a gallon there then where I live in the west burbs! I have even found it a little cheaper in other areas around here. Why is it that gas prices can be as much as $.20 more or less in certain areas from the same company a few miles away? Especially when it all pretty much comes from the same place. I think one state, MI pops in my mind, some state official did something when after 9/11 she saw all the gas stations totally screwin people.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hey MKIV, where are you buying your gas?

If you haven't noticed much of a difference, I want to go where you go :D

I noticed prices around Oak Park (just outside of Chicago for non-Illinoisans) are creeping up - now $1.87 for Mid-grade and $1.97 for Premium. About 4-5 weeks ago, it was more like $1.65 for Mid and $1.75 for Premium. Not as bad as LA I guess...

I think this is high considering they haven't switched to the summer formula (both gas and price) yet...

I'm glad the oil companies aren't holding us hostage or anything... :evil:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Well I haven't noticed anything drastically change in the last couple days. Last I saw was about what you are saying, but I have not seen anything over $2 yet. Now in the last month or so I have noticed a big difference.

·
Registered
886 Posts
According to my research...

Oh jeez, I was getting pissed when I was paying 1.79 for premium. I guess I should keep my mouth shut.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Rally magazines

One of the side benefits of living in Georgia is that this state has the lowest (IIRC) gasoline tax in the country. $1.49 for regular 87. We have to drive a good ways for some cool roads but at least we can afford to make the drive.

·
Registered
437 Posts
:wink: GA is a fat place to drive a vehicle. You got beachfront roads on the east side, mountain-y roads on the north side, miserable stretches of nothingness to get your speed up on the west side, and plenty of old people on their way to Florida to fly past on the south side. Not to mention all the crazy traffic you can swerve through in Atlanta. I don't know what you are talking about.... :roll:

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
I was about to post this topic myself...Just came down from Tahoe and there was one gas station that had $2.31 for gas...but that was Unleaded! Premium was $2.51! damn...it's pushing 3 bucks... :evil:

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I just heard on the news that the cost of oil dropped $5 a barrel yesterday. Gee I wonder why the gas prices are still going up?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Point well taken MKIV. Prices aren't really THAT bad, at least not yet.

But I love how the oil companies say:

"Prices are up! We need to raise prices now"

"Prices are down! Oh... we can't lower prices because we paid the higher prices for the gas we have now. It'll take a few weeks before we can lower prices..."

Um... excuse me... wasn't the gas you had in the first place the stuff you bought for less?? :roll:

And then you have Exxon or whoever it was breaking the record for the highest profit of any company in history (year before last I think)... but they weren't overcharging consumers, no, not them... :evil:

·
Registered
886 Posts
isn't england like at 5 pounds a gallon? or liter or something, does anyone know what they're at? i heard it was outrageous.

·
Registered
146 Posts
BHODGES3 said:
:wink: GA is a fat place to drive a vehicle.
Well, I agree it can be a great place to drive. I guess my problem is that I live in Atlanta AND I obey traffic laws. That places me in a very small minority of people. I guess I am one of those social freaks that believe things like giong 90 in a 55 during rush hour traffic and crossing the gore 10 feet before the end of an on ramp and cossing 6 lanes of solid lines are bad things. :roll:

·
Registered
963 Posts
I work with several Europeans and they're always like "WAAAH!! Talk to us when it's $4 a gallon!" when we complain about gas prices...

Someone at work was just in the UK... I'll ask him what gas is costing at the moment.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts