IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just received my boots from redlinegoods and it was A LOT harder than I thought to put the new boots on. I used some super glue and everytime i tried to put the boots, on, it would get all over the leather!! It's good that my shiftboot is decent but my e-brake boot has shiny spots because its got glue on it :(
 

· Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Complain to the company, see if they can help.
Did they cost alot?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,498 Posts
I remember those being a bear to install. It's been too long ago that I did mine so I'm afraid I'm no real help. I was the first 05 STi with them (according to them). I sent my boots in for patterns (they hadn't done an 05 yet) and got my set free. I would think they would have worked a few issues out by now but maybe not. Maybe they don't get enough feedback (hint, hint).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frozen STI said:
Complain to the company, see if they can help.
Did they cost alot?
the whole thing 2 boots, and arm rest cover costed 95 bucks with discount. i think ebrake alone is around 40 or 50 bucks. well, it's my fault for not installing it right but it's real hard IMO. Im usually pretty good with these kind of things but this was just pissing me off.. eh, i guess i just have to drive around without my ebrake boot for a while now :(
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
15,194 Posts
^^JDM STYLE!

Patience.....sometimes we rush..but yah I can see where it being too big for the clips to snap in would make things a lot more difficult!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
+1...mine is still off the car!

Man, I feel your pain. I can't for the life of me get the stupid ebrake boot in either. I tried filing/dremel-ing down both the plastic part that the ebrake boot glues on, as well as the base, and can't get it in.

One thing that will help you at least glue the stupid ebrake leather onto the plastic ring-part is a glue gun (as Redline recommended). The glue really holds it strong.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to 'snap' the ebrake piece back in, let us know! Anyone write Redline about this?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doctor Subie said:
Man, I feel your pain. I can't for the life of me get the stupid ebrake boot in either. I tried filing/dremel-ing down both the plastic part that the ebrake boot glues on, as well as the base, and can't get it in.

One thing that will help you at least glue the stupid ebrake leather onto the plastic ring-part is a glue gun (as Redline recommended). The glue really holds it strong.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to 'snap' the ebrake piece back in, let us know! Anyone write Redline about this?
humm.. wouldn't glue gun make the part too thick? the leather is too thick to begin with so I would imagine using a glue gun will be a bad idea..
 

· Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Not really, I smear and press the glue out pretty thin, and it's an imperceivable increase in thickness (we're talking fractions of mm thicker)...have you emailed Redline? I can later, but I gotta be at work all day today
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doctor Subie said:
Not really, I smear and press the glue out pretty thin, and it's an imperceivable increase in thickness (we're talking fractions of mm thicker)...have you emailed Redline? I can later, but I gotta be at work all day today
no.. all i can ask for them to do is use thinner leather for next customers or something for the e-brake boot since i trashed the boot already. After like 4th try, i had super glue all over the leather, my fingers, plastic, and all over my bathroom counter :(
 

· Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Ok, I emailed Redline to see what they say...I'll also throw a post on Nasioc because I know a few members there put on the ebrake boot also...
 

· Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts

· Banned
Joined
·
612 Posts
Guys,

I'm sorry to hear about these problems. Honestly this is the first time I've heard about this. I can definitely see how that folded double-stitched piece can cause a problem indeed.

Since by now you have all gotten very skilled with glue and glue guns :D here's what I'd suggest. You may want to put some glue on the inside of the boot about 1/3" above the edge. You have to try to squeeze it in between the two folds a little bit, so as to make that bit stronger.

THEN see if cutting out the bottom 1/3" of the folded and sewn leather will help. This should make it already thinner by half. The glue above it will secure the boot from coming apart...

Now if anybody trashes their boot doing so, we will replace it on warranty. We will also modify the design so that the double stitching ends about 1/2" above the bottom edge of the boot so no more cutting is necessary.

Am I going the right way with this?

Maciek
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RedlineGoods said:
Guys,

I'm sorry to hear about these problems. Honestly this is the first time I've heard about this. I can definitely see how that folded double-stitched piece can cause a problem indeed.

Since by now you have all gotten very skilled with glue and glue guns :D here's what I'd suggest. You may want to put some glue on the inside of the boot about 1/3" above the edge. You have to try to squeeze it in between the two folds a little bit, so as to make that bit stronger.

THEN see if cutting out the bottom 1/3" of the folded and sewn leather will help. This should make it already thinner by half. The glue above it will secure the boot from coming apart...

Now if anybody trashes their boot doing so, we will replace it on warranty. We will also modify the design so that the double stitching ends about 1/2" above the bottom edge of the boot so no more cutting is necessary.

Am I going the right way with this?

Maciek
well, the end of the boot is the problem BUT the sides are also problem. the leather is just too thick. It seems to me like unless the side clips clip on, the end clip won't clip. Since the leather is too thick overall, it's pretty much impossible to clip on the sides unless you modify something to the bracket.





Can I still get warrenty on my boot? do I have to send it back to you guys? The bottom of the boot is cut up(trying to get dry glue off) and it's got some glue on the outside part of the leather. :(
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top