IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried doing a search about this topic but I was not successful in what I was looking for.

Recently, I have come to the decision of getting the car tuned with the EcuTek program. However, the thought of going with a catless D/P has been crossing my mind as well.

When I purchased my car a month ago, the car already had an HKS D/P. I had it removed and replaced with a full stock exhaust system for fears of buying a car and have the warranty shot.

I currently have the stock D/P with the SPT cat-back exhaust. I have heard of going with Invidia for the D/P. My friend has the Invidia D/P on his STi and swears by it.

My question here is what are your thoughts about the HKS d/p. Should I use that one or sell it and get a different one?

What are the benefits/downfall of a divorced W/G flange on the D/P?

Please give me some feedback on this topic as I continue to learn this platform. This way I can make a better decision if I'm keeping the HKS or get rid of it.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Ive had the hks dp on my car since it had 8k on the odom. At the time, there werent many choices. XXTuning recommended it. I bought it with their first set of gt spec II headers. Initially, I suffered from boost creep, which they fixed easily by porting my turbo. The hks has been a good dp. I am changing to a Cobb, because my new exhaust (Tanabe) has a slide flange on it and it wont mate to the HKS without leaking. But overall, a good product.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
There will be more turbulence with the HKS DP because it doesn't have the bellmouth design. Im assuming it would hinder your performance a little versus a bellmouth design because its not a clean flow.

·
Registered
971 Posts
HKS DP is a very good downpipe. Very nice piece of pipe. Proof to me that bellmouth is better than the flat flange...on the turbo the HKS is more than enough. Plus is a an awesome pipe to go with EWG setup :naughty:

i had all styles of DPs and never noticed any difference in power

·
Registered
776 Posts
I dont really know much about the hks since im new here, but when I was researching what downpipe to buy all I heard were negative things about it. I read that because of the divorced design the temperatures of the two tubes are different which makes it prone to cracking. I ended up going with a helix catted downpipe and catback and I couldnt be happier.

·
Premium Member
5,332 Posts
Poor design. That's the reason it's cheap, and unused from word of mouth. It is essentially the same design as the stocker, as it has a plate that blocks the wastegate. The only benefit over the stock pipe, is that it is catless. But that is not much to say, when the stock one is a poor design as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
+! for invidia dp

·
Registered
306 Posts
In my experience, the invidia V2 and the TurboXS have been the nicest downpipes, depending on your individual setup. Stock turbo-Invidia V2. FPGreen or similar- TurboXS (4.5 inches will come in handy at 6K rpms)

Or you can make a crazy IWG/EWG setup using a cut bosal DP! All the sound of an EWG, none of the cost!!! :devil: ok fine don't do that, but wouldn't it be fun?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.