IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

I've installed the HKS Carbon-Ti Cat-Back exhaust. The install is not as event free and easy as Cobb's catback, but not overly difficult either.

I do have one problem though. A leak and rattle when cold. Seems to be coming from where the DownPipe and new midpipe connect. I re-used the bolts from the old mid pipe (The ones with the springs) and used the ONE set of supplied bolts for the mid to axle-back junction.

Has anyone else ran into this problem, and if so, how did you get around it? I am guessing I need to get a second set of bolts for the DP to Mid junction.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the same problem on mine but on the axle-back junction. It just needed a little more tightening and it fixed the problem. As for the rattle try some kartboy exhaust hangers, they are a lot more stiffer than stock and only cost around $30 for a set. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TB - Thanks for the info. I think the problem is that I re-used the wrong set of bolts. I think I was supposed to NOT use the spring bolts. I am switching out the bolts tonite.

Since the flanges dont "meet", I may have not seated the "Ball in Socket" fitting between the Catpipe and Midpipe properly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have to do it this weekend. Be too dark by the time I get home tonite!

It does look rockin'. I'll try and put 'em up by tommorow.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Long wait, but well worth it

Well, I have gotten rid of the exhaust leak between the catpipe and midpipe. Had to get somewhat creative. There are actually two ways to mount the cat-back HKS Carbon-Ti exhaust. I chose the first method described:

ONE: On the catpipe-to-midpipe, re-use the springs bolts, but get rid of the springs (Not needed since the HKS has a flex joint). You do need to somehow shim the 14 mm side of the bolt (Washers, real shims). Do not use the gasket for this junction because the flanges do not touch (It's a "Ball in Socket" pipe fitting). Seat the midpipe-catpipe by tightening both bolts at the same time (Otherwise it get cocked to one side). Voila, you're done.

TWO: Go get two brand new 14 mm bolts/nutz that are long enough to pass thru both flanges. You will need to drill-out the catpipe flange since it is only big enough for 12 mm (Old spring bolt is 14 mm on the head and non-threaded shaft, and 12 mm on the threaded side). No gasket, tighten bolts/nutz at the same time to seat the "Ball in Joint" pipes together.

I would imagine these methods would apply to any of the HKS Hiper type exhausts...So I hope this helps!

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts