107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt let it bounce more than once, i hope haha

but it wont do that much damage right?

:eek:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Well, that depends on whether you drove it off the lot and hit the limiter a couple times on the way home... or if you did it a couple thousand miles later. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I'm sure it was an emergency situation, anyway. 8)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
anyone have a decent WRX or STi outline/silhouette i can use

yoshar said:
..and does it hurt the car a lot? ...
doesn't hurt the car at all; it's there to prevent you from hurting the car. when i first went to the track, i was bouncing of the rev limiter all the time. the gearing is so close on the 6spd that until you get used to running hard with it, you may hit the limiter alot; particularly when the windows are open, you're wearing a helment, and your instructor is talking to ya. :)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I'm assuming the rev limiter is some kind of mechanical limiter? So IOW it won't help if you downshift into 2nd instead of 4th at high speed?

·
Registered
287 Posts
You will be fine, the rev limiter cuts the fuel to the engine off so that you don't over rev it, but it will not stop stupidity. What I mean is if you go from 4th gear to 2nd you will over rev it because the rev will cut the fuel off but the gear will still make you over rev it.

Next thing you should know is look at the rpm gauge I think it speaks for it self. 9,000 rpm gauge... so the rev limiter kicks in about 7,000 rpm.
This should explain things.

I use to have an RSX type S and I miss shifted and hit about 9,500 rpm and no damaged happened. Keep in mind all these cars have sensor that will tell the dealer that you miss shifted as I found out through a friend that works for the dealer and told me about my miss shift in the rsx and the rpm I hit.

Hope this helps you out.

Good luck. :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
I bounce off the limiter in 1st and 2nd all the time. I used to do it quite a bit on my '02 WRX but not as much. Nothing to worry about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts