IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, no matter how fast or how slow I drive my STi, i hear a hissing sound, and it only happens when the a/c is on. It seems like the sound comes out under the compartment but I'm not too sure. If it is, I think it's the a/c compressor. Does anyone encounter the same problem?
:( :( :(

04 WRB/Gold Sti

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Can't tell from your description, but the fan on the STi makes more of a jet engine noise than the old manual fan. It also seems to ramp up to speed rather than automaticaly go to the speed you set it at. Doesn't bother me, but it's different.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yeah...that's very common. That's just the compressor coming on and off. The compressor automatically disengages when you are under acceleration.

Don't worry about it....perfectly normal....

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, but the sound doesn't appear continuously, it appears about every 10 to 30 secs and lasts for about 3 to 4 secs. does yours do that? It's not loud, it just sounds like a weak wristle. But it makes the car sounds like it's falling apart.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My aurora is like the space shuttle launching off. It hisses and pumps and blows and everything. Mostly its the air shocks but the rest is probably due to the millions of compressors and wires and gadgets in the damn thing!

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SQueeky brakes??

8) Thanks CloNeGTS, I'm not bringing back to the dealer then.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sometimes you will also hear a hiss after driving caused by the condensation from the ac unit dripping onto the post-engine parts that are hot. I have customers that ask about that stuff all of the time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm glad to hear this is normal. I actually brought mine to the dealer today because I heard that same noise. Everytime I have the A/C on, and the car is moving, I hear what sounds like a release of air coming from something within the dash. It seems to come on about every 30 seconds or so, and lasts for only a few seconds. The tech took a look at it and told me exactly what others in this thread have said...totally normal. So it sounds like we have nothing to worry about here. I have found, however, that when I use the "Auto" feature, I hear the hissing noise much less. Not quite sure why. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
scratch remover

No man, we just have to live with it. i can't tell any difference whether i set the a/c to auto or not, the hiss is still there time to time. but it's not loud so i can live with it. plus we only notice it all becoz we have no radio (i assume u don't have one yet) in the car. the quietness makes the noise stands out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree. It's not that loud. I do have a stereo, but I find that most of the time I drive around without it on. I love the sound of the engine when those turbos kick in!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I guess I should say "that" turbo. Didn't mean to imply there was more than one. :) Sure wish there was though. Hhhmmm, possible mod??

·
Registered
542 Posts
Thanks guys for clarifying this noises. I was worried about those sounds but not no more. Peace.

·
Registered
97 Posts
bigman32 said:
I agree. It's not that loud. I do have a stereo, but I find that most of the time I drive around without it on. I love the sound of the engine when those turbos kick in!
I actually can't hear the turbo... In my MR2, I could hear the turbo loud and clear since it was less than a foot away from my head.. until I upgraded intake and exhaust.
I have been wondering about a whining sound I keep hearing, does sound like a jet turbine.. but even at very low rpm. It sounds like turbo, but I don't believe the turbo has kicked in yet.. anyone else hear that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts