IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read in the Spring 2003 issue of Drive that the 2003 Forester has a Hill-Holder System...has anyone test-driven one to see what it's like? I was wondering how much more weight that would add to the car since it would be cool to have that in a WRX or an STi. What do the manual-tranny purists feel about that?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Exactly. They call it a hill-holder "clutch", but I read somewhere that it's actually an automatic application of the brakes.

It's a cool feature, but personally I think it's unnecessary cost, weight, & complexity. You can be fast with the brake-to-gas transfer, but if a hill is bad enough, just use the e-brake.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Basically, it holds the vehicle even if you have the clutch in and take your foot off the brake. A ball inside the hydraulic braking system rolls to the rear of a pressure hold valve, retracting a push rod. Even after releasing the brake pedal, the valve will remain closed. I wouldn't mind having something like that if I were on a steep grade, say like going up one of the hills up to Sunset Blvd in Hollywood. Otherwise my WRX doesn't drift back fast enough to be a problem. I haven't tried using the heel-toe technique on a steep grade, though.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have actually had quite a few customers who said that they liked it back then and they thery are glad that they brought it back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had the hill-holder thing on my '93 Subaru Loyale (Talk about performance!!!)

Anyway it stopped working after like 3 months...

Frankly I never missed it and I live in hill central in SW Pa...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts