IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is the best ultra performance all-season tire out there? What I'm looking for is a set of tires that need to handle light snow and doesn't stiffen up with the cold temperature. I don't care about ride comfort or noise, just want good turning, braking/accelerating, and hydroplaning resistance. It doesn't snow much where I live, so I want the tires to be better at wet(rain)/dry conditions but still have a snow traction. :) [/b]

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Scroll down to the topic
"Winter Tires for Next Year" in this forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Winter tires for Texas and southern California are vastly different than winter tires for Minnesota. All season high performance tires are what I'm looking for...not something that'll run in snow. I've run Dunlop SS9000's on a Type R for 3 years now with great results. They're not cheap, but they perform well. I'm looking at alternatives to them for the STi. I'd be curious what other people are doing when their stock tires wear out (which should be fairly quickly). Also curious if people prefer a directional tire (the SS9000's are directional)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been doing some shopping for the same tire ideals. I came across the Continental ContiExtremeContact (Ultra High Performance All-Season). They are the right size, got extremely good customer reviews and run $103 each from www.tirerack.com. If you have a good tire dealer in your area they usually price match. America's Tire Co. in my area said they would match any online price I could find. All in all I think this will be the tire I get for all-season non-racing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Where do you move the horn when installing a Strut bar?

One more vote for the Conti's. Check out the tirerack comparison for performance all-season tires. The Conti's have the best rating for wet and snow, while scoring high on performance. Excellent price too...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
How's the treadwear on those? I'm assuming they aren't too hard if they are winning comparo tests.

Couldn't find the test...what tires were they tested against?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am going with the Pirelli PZero Nero M/S

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
RabidDog said:
One more vote for the Conti's. Check out the tirerack comparison for performance all-season tires. The Conti's have the best rating for wet and snow, while scoring high on performance. Excellent price too...
I don't know if you can look at it like that. Those ratings are people's opinions of that particular tire, not a true side by side comparison. Plus you have to take into consideration the Total Miles Reported.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
RabidDog said:
wow that tire has some impressive #s for an all season tire. Nice find.

Robert~

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hey guys, don't trust those ratings. They are just people's opinions as MKIVSupra said. I read all the reviews of the Conti and Pirelli tires and none of them actually had experience the tires in snow, so don't jump to the conclusion that the Conti has the best snow traction. Actually for wet and dry roads the pirelli kills the conti. Please see the following:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/co_contiExtremeContact_c.html

·
Registered
575 Posts
those consumer reviews in my opinion are completely worthless, because the person making a write up is only driving that one set of tires and how can he/she know on the benchmarking, wet traction 9/10 (what does that mean) that the tire will start aqua planing at 75 mph or 65?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Re: Information on WRX/WRX STI, I.E. awards...

arellanodon said:
Which is the best ultra performance all-season tire out there? What I'm looking for is a set of tires that need to handle light snow and doesn't stiffen up with the cold temperature. I don't care about ride comfort or noise, just want good turning, braking/accelerating, and hydroplaning resistance. It doesn't snow much where I live, so I want the tires to be better at wet(rain)/dry conditions but still have a snow traction. :) [/b]
All seasons are the suck man : ) Seriously, if you like to drive the car, then you must have summer tires and winter if the climate requires it.

-st

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
He's in the same position I am in, and he is looking for just what I want. It doesn't snow enough where I am to constitute snow tires. That said, all I need is something that will work in the snow and something that will give a great deal of performance the 95% of the time that there isn't snow.

I'm seriously considering the Pirelli PZero Nero all season for my second set of wheels. At the same time, I agree with you that you should always have a summer only tire for out-of-season.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Singletrack said:
All seasons are the suck man : ) Seriously, if you like to drive the car, then you must have summer tires and winter if the climate requires it.
-st
I agree with you to an extent. In an ideal world, I would love to own 3 sets of tires: Winter, Summer, and R-Compounds for Track/AutoX. Unfortunately, i can't do that (at least now) and will have to choose 2 out of the 3. So I decided to go with the best All-Seasons (best in dry traction) I could find and then run R-Compounds on the track/autox.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
STi @ NHIS Track Day Review

wojo said:
Singletrack said:
-st
I agree with you to an extent. In an ideal world, I would love to own 3 sets of tires: Winter, Summer, and R-Compounds for Track/AutoX. Unfortunately, i can't do that (at least now) and will have to choose 2 out of the 3. So I decided to go with the best All-Seasons (best in dry traction) I could find and then run R-Compounds on the track/autox.
Ahhhh...now I understand. I missed the part about the r compounds, that makes perfect sense then.

-st

1 - 19 of 19 Posts