IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was cruising back from a local meet and noticed my oil temp gauge pegged at 150(the highest reading). the cluster temp was fine and car was running fine. was not doin any type of aggresive driving. I did notice the gauge go back to normal temp during some upshifts, but go back to 150 once in gear. this was around 8ish... just took my car out again and it warmed up fine and gauge was working fine.. go onto the highway and do some light cruising still fine.. Proceed to a on ramp, WOT the gauge goes back to 150. suggestions
i'm thinkin theres a loose connection somewhere.. obtw this is the oem gauge pack. my buddy says that the sender goin bad on the oem's is a common problem, but i havent heard of this before.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
thats weird because my defi reads 220 degrees farinheight usualy....are you talking celcius or farinheight?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
sounds like celcius if that's the maximum value that his gauge shows....

Sounds like sender problem - my oil temp has never seen above 110, even during agressive driving.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I see about 190-200*F during normal driving....depending on the outside temp. In traffic...lots of stop and go about 90*F I will see at the most 210*F and will stay there until several miles of straight driving. My oil temp light comes on at 212 and I have NEVER seen that.

I suppose if I put it on a track I'd see upwards of 220*F.

·
Premium Member
5,399 Posts
today, driving autobahn, about 5 minutes straight line, no traffic, pedal to the metal:
266° Fahrenheit (130° Celsius) oil
1562 ° Fahrenheit (850° Celsius) EGT
defi
170 mph (270 kmh)
AEM UEGO 10.0 AFR (can´t read lower)

edit: outside temps 21° celsius = 70° Fahrenheit

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
^^^pretty surprised the oil temp was that high with that low of AFR and low of EGT.

very interesting....thanks for that!!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
FWIW, i just went and abused my car a bit....about 86*F outside....my oil temp at the most was 208. when i noticed coming down to idle, my vacuum was the HIGHEST it had ever been....26" solid.

I let the car idle for a few minutes in my driveway and the oil temp came down to just below 200*F

To the OP, i would guess you have a sending unit problem. Try out the DaddysSCP gauges...I have them and love them.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
actually i have defi's and my oil pressure gauge reads extreemely low all of a sudden. i have the warning light and sound on at like 1.0 and for some reason it kicks down that low. but i know i have oil in the car (especially since i frequently check it and i just changed the oil). i think my oil pressure sender is bad or something.

·
Registered
926 Posts
XxSCAxX said:
actually i have defi's and my oil pressure gauge reads extreemely low all of a sudden. i have the warning light and sound on at like 1.0 and for some reason it kicks down that low. but i know i have oil in the car (especially since i frequently check it and i just changed the oil). i think my oil pressure sender is bad or something.
i actually get the same thing.. weird?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts