IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just read the Subaru dealers intro to the STi in which it states that the STi is set up to use 101 Super Premium gas but will run on 91 Premium gas, does anyone know of a source for Super Premium in the Santa Rosa, CA area?

Thanks for any info.

Roger

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't live in CA but I am wondering about that 101 number you mentioned. Are you sure that wasn't refrencing the rating in Japan? I have read that 94 is the best grade and 91 is acceptable for the STi. I am not sure you can even get 101 unleaded. I thought Sunoco(CAM 2) GT 100 was the highest unleaded octane (100) in most states. Check these sites for race fuels such as the one I mentioned.

http://www.racegas.com/gt100locals/default.asp
http://www.racefuels.com/dealers.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct, the recommendation is a 94 rating. I got mixed up because I was with a Viper owner who uses 104 octane and said that he could mix this with 91 to reach 101 for the STi.

Thanks for the correction. :roll:

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
1 barrel of Shell GT Plus 104 Unleaded sitting in my garage so 100 is not the limit by any means. Even if they don't sell it locally you can order it for delivery.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
How did you get it delivered to your house?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Newest stuff purchased and OTW

Anyone one know of a gas station that provides 93+octaine in Illinois.. generally Chicagoland-Schaumburg area?

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
I didn't get it delivered to my home, but they would have had I wanted it delivered there. It was sent to a shop near my house and we rolled it to my house (hehe).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
also since we're talking about high octane gas, would it be smart to run either high octane / toulene / xylene mixes for the time being until this pinging situation gets fixed? I havent gotten my STI yet, but all these stories of pinging adn such are scaring me. Is it just that the cars are timed incorrectly and are in need of a higher octane? or are there just freak spasms in the ignition timing due to glitches or what? I'd rather spend 5$ or so for a nice tank of ~96 toulene gas then have my car pinging and damaging the engine. Thanks!

Robert~

Also I was thinking would it be smart to have the dealership reflash the ecu before they ship it to me (if they would do it, doubt it but might be possible with all the case #s posted) or can you pull a fuse or the negative battery cable to kinda "reset" the ecu like in the Supra and such (my previous car). To have it "relearn" and such?

·
Registered
614 Posts
StaticX313 - I understand your concern about the detonation issues that have been reported and your desire to avoid any engine damage due to that. BUT. Wait till you get your car. I picked up my STi 3 weeks ago and purchased approx. 12 gals. of 100 octane prior to pickup to get my octane rating up to 95-96 via mixing it w/94. Both my salesperson and svc manager recommended against it and advised either 93 or 94. Long story short - I have 2200 miles on my 3.5 week old STi, have been running Sunoco 94 religiously, and have NO PING thru the 4-4.5 RPM mark in any gear thus far. Best of luck with the car - you will love it!

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Exactly, wait and see what you get. If this reflash fix is official the newer deliverd STi's could possibly already have it done. Don't take my word on that though. My STi was built in 03-03, the best I can find is 93 octane. I run it hard daily and have no pinging.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
StuBrown said:
StaticX313 - I understand your concern about the detonation issues that have been reported and your desire to avoid any engine damage due to that. BUT. Wait till you get your car. I picked up my STi 3 weeks ago and purchased approx. 12 gals. of 100 octane prior to pickup to get my octane rating up to 95-96 via mixing it w/94. Both my salesperson and svc manager recommended against it and advised either 93 or 94. Long story short - I have 2200 miles on my 3.5 week old STi, have been running Sunoco 94 religiously, and have NO PING thru the 4-4.5 RPM mark in any gear thus far. Best of luck with the car - you will love it!
im sure I will love the car, which is why Im hoping and praying this won't happen. Either way I know it can be fixed, but its just a downer for what looks to be such a perfect car. Also thanks for all the info everyone and is there a way to locate sunoco gas stations as I have never even heard of one. Best I can do is BP/Amoco 93 octane as recommended or use a toulene/race fuel mix with 93. Thanks!

Robert~

·
Registered
50 Posts
Finland

I was running 100 Octane this past weekend at divisionals in Topeka Kansas and most of the time didn't have any pinging issues. HOWEVER, my car sat for about 20 minutes on a hot engine and when I started it back up and took it out, I heard a bit of minor pinging (soft, not loud like w/ 91 gas). Wondering if a hot intercooler had something to do with that. I'm calling the dealership to find out about re-flashing the computer.

Branden

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have only been running 91 (which the manual says will do quite well) and no pings in the 4-5 range or any other.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts