IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the HID bulb type and possibly even the manufacturer of our headlights? I got the JDM fogs installed and need to do a HID conversion on them. I want the color temperature to match the headlights. Anyone here with HID knowledge/experience who can shed some light on this? ...errr...pardon the unintentional pun.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know the hid bulbs are d2r bulbs. Knowing what type of bulbs or who the manufacturer was is not gonna help you tho if you wanna match up the color of your headlights to the fogs. You have to match the hid bulbs temp or sumthing, which I think should be 4300k. Can someone else confirm??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK.....D2R is a good start. If I can find the manufacturer, I can see if they have a HID kit and just use that. Then, it will match. Or, if I know the manufacturer and bulb type I can research the color temperature.

·
Registered
136 Posts
speed

hey i've got a question about HIDs also (sorry for the hijack) But when you first turn them on at night they glow a nice blue then after a while they start to turn white. Anyway to get bulbs that stay blue and are possibly brighter?

·
Registered
125 Posts
check out this website:

http://www.xenondepot.com/

You probably want the 5k or 6k bulbs if you really want them to appear bluish, ne higher and they will appear purplish.

Btw if what you really want is better output I wouldn't bother with the bluish bulbs, cuz 4300k is as close to sunlight as it gets and the bluish bulbs are for show really. What really is hindering light output is those diffusers in the lowbeams, if only we had projectors in there.

My friend took the diffusers out in his wrx with aftermarket hid kit and they are bright as hell.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My other car is a 2002 Acura TL Type S. The TL has 4300K bulbs in it. They are an exact color match to my 04 STi. If you want your fogs to match, your best bet will be PIAA Extreme White bulbs. All the guys on the Acura forums have gone through this debate and the Extreme Whites are the best match to the stock 4300K bulbs.

I just ordered a new pair of D2R 6000K bulbs on line. They are supposed to ship this Friday 9/26. Once I get them, I will post pictures.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks 909. I'm actually not looking for bulbs to match......I am going to do an actual HID conversion on the fogs. I'll start looking for a 4300K kit. Thanks again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think all OEM HID bulbs here in the US are 4300K, and I also think that D2R are only for projector lights so it may be a D2S capsule. If you're in need of OEM stuff, check out www.hid-online.com. Very good customer service plus 2-day UPS shipping. I just recently bought some stuff from them and they have been very good to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hid-online is who I have been dealing with. They are making my 6000K bulbs now. I had the same conversation with them, in regards to D2R vs D2S. They have slightly different bases, so the D2S won't fit in the US 04 STi. I know because the D2S's are in stock and I wanted the bulbs right away. They have to be D2S.

As far as getting an aftermarket HID kit for an OEM application in the USA. Good luck, DOT put the ban up two weeks ago. Hopefully you will find someone who is willing to sell you an illegal set.

·
Registered
14 Posts
d2r and d2s have the same base. The difference is d2r is for reflector applications and the d2s is for projector applications. The STi is reflector and has d2r. The d2r and d2s are commonly used in oem applications.
Hope this helps
Shawn

·
Registered
17 Posts
Unless HID-online lied to me. The D2R does not have the same base as a D2S. You are correct about the reflector part, but they told me the base is slightly different as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts