IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering getting a STI to replace my 01 S4. has ne1 here owned a S4,i would love to know how the STI compares in accel,etc.... I love my car but want something more manuverable.also guys feel free to post your impressions of your STI,i really want to know! thanx

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
search all over the forum, u will find everyones impressions of their STi. look at "GOT MINE" section first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you will be quite surprised that the STi can outperform the older S4.

I've never owned an S4 but did drive one.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Tein flex suspension installed today

the old S4 is nice and has a huge potential of being scary fast if you have some cash :), but if you ride it mostly stock the STi is much more aggressive both in handling and power, all but very down low where the S4 is really nice.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My brother has a modded 01 S4 (ECU-Chip, full-exhaust, intake, stoptech brakes, carbon-fiber hood, small battery, wheels/tires etc). He is making 260HP/320trq. at wheels according to the AWD dyno. As far as speed we are dead even when we race.

The S4 is a bit heavier and feels heavier than the STi (less tossable). The steering feels less precise and the gears on the tranny seems alot longer and not setup to keep it in the powerband like the STi. The extra weight that the S4 has over the STi is for luxury and sound-deadening materials (which the STi really doesnt have). Also, for longer rides the S4 is much better and more comfortable, however, the STi is not in anyway unbearable. My brother spent $10K on mods in his S4 and it is not any faster nor can it turn quicker or out handle my stock STi. That says alot about the STi. If you can deal w/out having the current luxury of your S4 then the STi is for you. :lol:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Depending on what you are looking for, the STi is either a step up or a step down for S4 owners. You're going from a lux sport sedan to a balls-to-the-wall no frills sedan. If you like frills, comfort, and a little quiet, the STi may feel cheap.

All depends what you are looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a stock 2001 S4. I traded it in for the STi as well. Performancewise the STi seems much better to me. It seems way more powerful. Way lighter and more nimble. I find it overall much more fun to drive. I could really never get over how heavy the S4 felt.

My S4 was loaded with all the options, so going from that to the STi was a drop in luxuries. I pretty much decided before ordering the STi, that I didn't really care about luxury features. Everyone I knew said, I would hate losing the luxuries and I couldn't take it.

After getting the STi, I can say that I don't really miss the luxuries. I can definitely see how people will say the STi feels cheap. There is a lot of road noise in the STi compared to the S4. And I loved having heated seats in the winter (we'll see how non heated seats treat me this winter).

Anyhow, I've had my STi for almost two months now and I have no regrets trading the S4 for it. I think everyone says it best, if you're looking for lux the S4 is a pretty nice lux sports sedan. The STi is pretty much a no frills sports sedan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts