IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to pop in and say hello. My current vehicles are a 2005 BMW M3, and a 2004 Suzuki XL-7. I'm thinking of selling my Zuk and trading the M3 in for either an 06 STI or 07 Limited. Need to cut down on some expenses, and have an all-season vehicle without losing the sporty ride.

It's tough for me to make the decision though, as I really love my M3. Hoping some of you out there can help me make an informed decision. I'm also concerned about rear passenger room, and overall cabin noise; basically would the STI be fine for long road trips with a baby?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the n00bish questions. If anyone here also owns an M3 and are a member of m3forum.com.. drop me a line. My screen name is the same here as it is there.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
hey welcome aboard :)

i drove an m3 for a few months, it was nice but it was also automatic, this girl i used to go with daddy bought it for her, i duno, i liked it and i didnt like it, i fell in love with the suby the second i drove it

once u start to mod the car u wont stop....beware...lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ayanami22 said:
hey welcome aboard :)

i drove an m3 for a few months, it was nice but it was also automatic, this girl i used to go with daddy bought it for her, i duno, i liked it and i didnt like it, i fell in love with the suby the second i drove it

once u start to mod the car u wont stop....beware...lol
I know what you mean about mods... I've already dumped quite a bit into the M3 (PSS9 coilovers, Borla catback, TMS camber plates, Lidatek LE-30)....

Are you sure you drove an M3 though? M3's never came with automatics. Some E46's came with SMG, which is essentially the same Getrag-D 6 speed manual, but has a computer controlled hydraulically operated clutch.

Here's a pic of my baby:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would assume you would be more inclined to prefer the new 07 STI LTD.

You might also consider a Legacy GT or Spec B which can be modded quite easily and cheaply to stock STI power levels and beyond. You can learn more at www.legacygt.com

Good luck.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Go with the 07 STi limited. Comes with a smaller rear wing, leather, power sunroof, and more sound deadening. Maybe a few limited owners can chime in here. Or just get the "regular" STi and throw some sound deadening in it.....thats my next "mod"

·
Registered
13,608 Posts
Welcome to Subaru Technica International. (STi) :)

As others mentioned, all 3 (STi, STi Limited, LGT Spec-B) are great vehicles, it really boils down to what you want.

STi - The boost monster that started the wave. The ride is a bit stiff, almost no lag, very responsive and easy to mod.

STi Limited - Same as the STi, but has a bit softer suspension. Same great powertrain (EJ257 + the awesome bullet proof 6 spd gearbox), special edition interior with heated leather seats, special BBS wheels, black Brembos and all the usual STi toys. Same modibility venues as the original STi.

Legacy GT Spec-B - most likely as soft suspension as the Limited (I haven't driven the Limited) same great EJ257 motor (13.5 psi of boost instead of 14.5 stock) very luxerious interior, available NAV option from the factory and other various dealer installed go fast parts (intake, short shifter), we call this the "Civilized STi", but still a great vehicle. One of the members here has one that he modified that defenitly takes the crown.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=136

I would recommand test driving them, you'll be happy with any of them.

I do like M3 E46 alot. My neighbor has 1 of 10 Dinan S3's in the country pushing 410 RWHP, a very angry monster!

·
Registered
328 Posts
amstel78 said:
Just wanted to pop in and say hello. My current vehicles are a 2005 BMW M3, and a 2004 Suzuki XL-7. I'm thinking of selling my Zuk and trading the M3 in for either an 06 STI or 07 Limited. Need to cut down on some expenses, and have an all-season vehicle without losing the sporty ride.

It's tough for me to make the decision though, as I really love my M3. Hoping some of you out there can help me make an informed decision. I'm also concerned about rear passenger room, and overall cabin noise; basically would the STI be fine for long road trips with a baby?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the n00bish questions. If anyone here also owns an M3 and are a member of m3forum.com.. drop me a line. My screen name is the same here as it is there.
I was in your exact same situation about a year ago. I had owned an E46 M3 6M for 2 years, and finally decided I wanted to spend less on my car and use the savings to buy a house. Well, it's pretty obvious what I ended up doing based on my signature. Giving up the M3 was very difficult, but driving the STI with a fatter wallet feels sooooooo much better.

Do it, you won't look back.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
06stiman said:
I was in your exact same situation about a year ago. I had owned an E46 M3 6M for 2 years, and finally decided I wanted to spend less on my car and use the savings to buy a house. Well, it's pretty obvious what I ended up doing based on my signature. Giving up the M3 was very difficult, but driving the STI with a fatter wallet feels sooooooo much better.

Do it, you won't look back.
That's pretty much the situation I'm in at the moment... have a child now, plus the wife and I are buying an apartment in Manhattan, so saving everything we can is top priority. I went to the local Suby dealer this evening to take a look at the STi. Not bad. Actually larger than I thought on the inside. Just didn't like the "plastickyness" of the interior, especially if I'm comparing it to my M3.

I suppose I'll get over it though....

Oh.. I would have bought their white STI tonight, but they wouldn't give me any higher than 41K for my M3. I had to laugh and walk out. My M3 only has 4100 miles, is mint, and is a 2005 model.

·
Registered
451 Posts
all season car means you'll have to buy 2 sets fo tires. (summer winter).

other than that, you'll be set! buy the sti. screw what people think about the wing. lol. or just get the limited.

·
Premium Member
8,137 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rube23 said:
which dealership did you go to?
Universal Subaru; Northern Blvd in Long Island City, New York.

·
Registered
115 Posts
james you need to move out of NY and come to oregon we'll set up our own UN branch out here maybe put my degrees to use and then you could have a condo, m3 and sti !!!!

Congrats you'll love the STi !!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ah. Are you from H-t? I saw your post there. :) Congrats on the baby.

Anyway, going from an M3 to a STI will be a huge change all around. However I think since it is mainly for a sport/"luxury" for your family I would go with the 07' limited. I wanted to hold out for one but I couldn't. I loove my 06' but the limited has so many more features for the interior, a softer ride, and won't attract so much "ricer" attention. :p

Hopefully you will be able to test drive and decide for yourself. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice car man! and like others have said, I believe you should go with the 07 limited! I know you will love it, its just not as refined as your M3, but the limited is more for you, still the STI Raw power, with some little creature comforts, leather, heated, seats, deleted spoiler, black brembos, moonroof, good luck! cant wait to see some pics of whichever STI you decided to go with!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts