IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy CA folks,

[long, funny-but-not-ha-ha-funny story]
Took my second stab at shopping around yesterday, stopped by Stevens Creek Subaru. I should know it's a bad omen for the dealer when you see SEVEN STi's just sitting on the lot... anyway, I talked to the most ridiculous assclown "sales manager" who really turned me off to this dealership. I told him that several dealers across the country are offering under MSRP, and therefore I'd be unable to pay MSRP or above as a matter of consumer principle. He was rude and insulting, and said "I'd have to question your principles."

I said "Well, I think we undestand each other, thanks for your time" at which point he latched onto my leg like a Proselytizing Jehovah's Witness Pit Bull, desperate to keep me from leaving, but trying his best to insult and attack me at the same time. The funny thing is that when I first walked in he said "we can cut you a deal, things have been slow lately... we could even reduce our markup for you!" and when I was leaving he said "YEAH, WELL I SELL STI'S OVER STICKER ALL DAY LONG!!!" :roll:
[\long, funny-but-not-ha-ha-funny story]

I wish I could have gotten his name, but I was too busy trying to get myself and my wife out the door.

The first experience I had was at Carlsen in Redwood City, I talked to (I think) the owner or the GM and told him, "I'm having a horrible time trying to decide between the evo and the sti!" He said, "Look, I know how you feel. I'm sure you'll make the right decision, but in the meantime why don't you have a seat here?" as he unlocked and opened the door to an STi with a big SOLD sign on it. Then he left me alone. I liked that guy, but all they had available was a black/silver (my last choice) though they were actually offering under MSRP for it.

I'll be talking to Carlsen some more, but my actual question is: Does anyone know of any other cool dealers in northern or southern cal that will sell under MSRP? The other thing is I don't want any of the options, especially the turbo gauge - the black one at Carlsen was loaded with an extra $500 of stuff I didn't want.

oof, that was long-winded, wasn't it?

scott yu
belmont

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't know of any specific dealers staying under MSRP. But you won't find a car with no options if you try to buy off the lot. Your best bet is to ORDER one with exactly the stuff you want. You'll have to wait longer, but it's worth it in my opinion. And I think this way you'll be more likely to get a good price. Deal with the fleet manager or internet people.

Bottom line is if you try to walk in and buy off the lot, and talk to any of the regular salespeople, you probably won't get anywhere.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Missing plug-in buttons for side skirt!

I stopped by Stevens Creek because I lost my key for the wheel locks and most of those guys are just plain rude. I'm not surprised they had 10 STi sitting in their lot. I'm just glad I didn't purchase from them. I picked mine up from Carlsen for under MSRP about a month ago. Best service from any dealer I've been too. If you're serious just get on the Subaru website, check the inventory and email a bunch of dealers. You should be able to get a few under MSRP. Unfortunately, most of them have some options.

·
Registered
858 Posts
look at the bay area forum on i-club.

you wont see a single happy from from stevens creek sube...

when i was there buying my wrx 3 years ago, i was pressured so much...

·
Registered
18 Posts
so where in northern cali can i get a sti for a good price i'm located in san francisco i was thinking of heading over to ron price vw\subaru in san bruno..jus sold my rsx type s and about 10grand in mods to so i'm ready to buy

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
As GSXR said, check out Carlsen in Redwood City. I got my STi there about a month ago and preferred them over pretty much all the other Bay Area dealerships. Stevens Creek were a bunch of slimeballs, so definitely stay away from them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I just purchased mine from Roseville...Sticker was $30k

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I heard Albany has great deals, selection and prices. I test drove in Oakland, but didn't buy yet. Checkout Albany, I read about them in the North America Subaru site and everyone that bought there recommanded them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
HarlanPepper said:
As GSXR said, check out Carlsen in Redwood City. I got my STi there about a month ago and preferred them over pretty much all the other Bay Area dealerships. Stevens Creek were a bunch of slimeballs, so definitely stay away from them.

a i meet gsxr before i bought his rear mugen struit bar from for my rsx haahah i total forgot he got a sti..thanx ill go check out that dealership would you know the exact address so i can mapquest it thanx

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a great experience with Shingle Springs Subaru. I dealt with Bobby Lee there and the price was better than MSRP.

More important they did not give me B.S. like Stevens Creek did. I told them what I wanted to a bunch of dealers, they had it, and they delivered what they said they did.

He should remember me, Steve C.

Hope that helps.

-Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know the Subaru dealership down here in Newport Beach is selling them at MSRP. But realistically, I would not even waste my time with dealerships. I looked on Ebay and there are 4 sti's all between $27777-29500. Granted these cars have between 500-2000 miles on them, but the initial buyer has already taken the depreciation hit. I don't see any reason to ever buy a car from a dealership again unless you want one brand new.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Anyone been to irvine subaru? good? bad? im probibly going to buy my car from there but dont know how good there sevice is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts