IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i got an 2004 WRX STI now, traded the 2004 350Z in for it. just b/c i like the blowing off sound of the car. my friend has one, but his is an 2002 WRX(NOT STi). well he told me that that car cant be tuned any better, is that TRUE? he said that b/c factory parts already crank as much HP out of it as possible already, so aftermarket upgrades doesnt effect anything.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Hes incorrect and welcome to the forum! Read through the modifications forum... you will see that it is modified and will be/ is tuned as more tuning options/products are available (I have a bunch of goodies myself :D hehe). a couple of us are even on the preorder list for UTEC ecus ... so its definitely able to be modified and tuned. :) Enjoy your stay and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Robert~

Also companies like APS and such have ran 11s which is beyond stock so obviously there is still potential there... your friend may just want you to not be able to beat him hehe ;) even though you already can. Plenty of parts are already out there adn the car isnt even a year old. You will see how well built this car is too once you're done breaking it in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Congratulations on your new STi.

What are your thoughts on the 350Z?
I am in the market for a new car and as many others I am seriously considering the STi as well as the 350Z and G35 Coupe. My only concern with the other 2 cars is the fact they are RWD...I live in Canada, Toronto, and I don't know how well these cars would drive on snow, even with a good set of winter tires. Also, the difference in power must be so amazing!!!
I test drove the STi and love it but again, I'm 38 and the looks of the wing and scoop bother me a lttle bit although the style of the STi keeps growing on me.

Any thoughts?

With thanks,

Amsa

2001 Nissan Maxima SE AE 5 Speed
2002 Nissan Altima SE V6

·
Registered
106 Posts
Re: Nice wheels

WRXtreme said:
he said that b/c factory parts already crank as much HP out of it as possible already, so aftermarket upgrades doesnt effect anything.
He was probably talking about the 350Z :wink: Welcome. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Limitations of the STI powertrain

well... my experience with the Z... it's a pretty nice car, i like the body design, interior, and the engine compartment. everything in the engine is pretty much hidden and covered. interior design gives you a feeling of driving a futuristic car. although i've never encountered any problems on the car yet, but i heard so many complaints from ppl about the car on the 350Z club websites.

problems so far...: transmission, tires feathering, CD player(it skips), Navigator screen shuts down for some reason(if you have it as an optional), noise from the back?!?!! and a couple more... that's why i decided to trade it in before it's getting old and start the problems. beside the car perspective... it's such a "chick" magnet!

performance upgrades...: because of the ECU, NO matter what you've installed on the car(exhaust, intake, headers, camshafts, etc...). the ECU will compensate it and still make the car runs like stock, so you'll have to have the ECU reprogrammed for about... $1300 according to the guy who "knows" about the car(Nissan's engineer). that's why i had the car for 4 months and didnt have any upgrades, would be a waste of money.

here's the website for you to goto to see what im talking about, it's a long topic but is very interesting. you'll have to sign up first to be able to read the forum. http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8638

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
G35 AWD is gonna be sedan only....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well according to everyone in the forum, they said that the AWD G35 sedan was not built for performance but rather stability. it wasnt built for speed, just for traction.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Amsa said:
Congratulations on your new STi.

What are your thoughts on the 350Z?
I am in the market for a new car and as many others I am seriously considering the STi as well as the 350Z and G35 Coupe. My only concern with the other 2 cars is the fact they are RWD...I live in Canada, Toronto, and I don't know how well these cars would drive on snow, even with a good set of winter tires. Also, the difference in power must be so amazing!!!
I test drove the STi and love it but again, I'm 38 and the looks of the wing and scoop bother me a lttle bit although the style of the STi keeps growing on me.

Any thoughts?

With thanks,

Amsa

2001 Nissan Maxima SE AE 5 Speed
2002 Nissan Altima SE V6
I live in Alaska and the STI has performed great so far in the snow. Of course I have all season tires on it. But being able to adjust the split on the differential is great. It being slick on the roads right now, I lock it in (50/50) and it handles great. Punch it and it goes. The rearend does slide out the smallest little but let up on the gas and it immediatly straightens out. ( My own traction tests) just my opinion though, and you would have to conduct your own tests. Deffinetly better than 2 wheel drive, front or rear, car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks to all.

I will decide what to buy within two weeks, I've got a good deal on a 2004 silver STi...my preferred choice based on power and AWD but have not test drive any other car yet so I just can't decide.

I am planning on driving both the G35 Coupe and 350Z Track today to get a feeling of these car's power, control and refinement.

Thanks again for your comments and I will keep you guys posted on what I decide.

Regards,

Amsa

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh and mine was Track too! with necessary options.

i still prefer an STI, just b/c it's turbo and is much faster than the Z. just by .8sec??

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
coxSTI said:
I live in Alaska and the STI has performed great so far in the snow. Of course I have all season tires on it. But being able to adjust the split on the differential is great. It being slick on the roads right now, I lock it in (50/50) and it handles great.
The split is always 65R/35F. What's adjustable is the degree of lock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts