IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2005 STi and the other night was working on changing the brake fluid and at the same time replacing the stock bleeder valves with speedbleeders. I'm the second owner, the car has 10,500 miles and I'm sure the previous owner never had the brakes bled so I figured it needed to be done. Each of the four rear bleeder valves had corrosion but one imparticular did not come free easily. It did not snap but it did take the top half of the threads off the Brembo caliper. I re-tapped the hole with a 10 x 1.0 tap and cleaned everything up by there isn't enough material left to really lock the bleeder back in place. It screws in too easily and I'm seeing some very minor fluid leak by on the threads.

I'm trying to figure out what my options are for fixing this so. A new caliper looks like it is $650-$700 (ouch) but I'm wondering if I might be able to have the bleeder hole drilled out a little and re-threaded. I have no idea who might be able to do this type of work.

If you have any suggestions on how I might be able to repair this I'd love to hear them!

Thanks for your help!

- Bill

·
Registered
351 Posts
Which one did you strip? I did the same thing and the only solution for me was buy a new one. Luckily I found a set of rears on ebay for less than one new rear from subaru. If you happen to need a right rear you are in luck I will sell it to you for $300 + shipping. (less than half of a new one and this will get me some RCE springs). It is used and has some dings in the paint, but the left one that I am using I have had absolutely no problems. Let me know.

And I see that you have an 05. I think the parts are the same, but we would definitely want to check before I ship. I would hate to get you the wrong part.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunetly it was the left side, drivers side, like yours. I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. Beyond that I'll watch ebay for a while before I bite the bullet and buy a new one.

- Bill

RabidSTi said:
Which one did you strip? I did the same thing and the only solution for me was buy a new one. Luckily I found a set of rears on ebay for less than one new rear from subaru. If you happen to need a right rear you are in luck I will sell it to you for $300 + shipping. (less than half of a new one and this will get me some RCE springs). It is used and has some dings in the paint, but the left one that I am using I have had absolutely no problems. Let me know.

And I see that you have an 05. I think the parts are the same, but we would definitely want to check before I ship. I would hate to get you the wrong part.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
What about warranty work?

If the car never had its fluid bled and you had never previously touched the bleeders, could it be a "factory" problem, I know of a case where this same (about) thing happened and it was covered, good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was planning on stopping by the dealership tomorrow and see what they say. It would be nice if I could get it covered.

- Bill

AndrewSS said:
What about warranty work?

If the car never had its fluid bled and you had never previously touched the bleeders, could it be a "factory" problem, I know of a case where this same (about) thing happened and it was covered, good luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have had a similar problem I am working on now. A bleeder broke off in the front caliper. I tried everything so far to get it out and no luck. Not sure why it is so dam tight in there but it is. So I think my last resort is to drill out the bleeder and re tap the hole and use a bleeder repair kit. Basically it is a pipe plug with a seat for a new bleeder. I hope to do this on saturday. Then to make sure there is no metal in the caliper from drilling the old bleeder out rebuild the caliper. Hope it works a few bucks for the repair kit and a few bucks on the rebuild kit is better then a few hundred on a new or used caliper.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I came across your post and wondered how things worked out for you. The picture of your bleeder valve and caliper looked just like mine. My car has seen snow so I didn't know how much that played into things but from your account it seems like it might not have been the whole problem. I'm glad to hear the dealer covered you. The car is at the dealership right now and I'm waiting to see what they say. It would be real nice if they covered it. I'll give an update when I hear more.

- Bill

loworbitSI said:
Deja Vu:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32050

Passenger front, outer bleeder. New caliper, hardware and fluid replaced by the dealer - after some "convincing". They came and picked up the car on a flatbed, and had the car back to me the next day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealership said they would cover the caliper under warranty, thank you Subaru! The dealership has to order the caliper and it will be in in a few days. I'm going to make sure each of the bleeders has never-sieze on them so I don't have to run into this again. I'll make sure to move those bleeders at least a few times a year too.

- Bill

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hey cyber dog check your pm. Would love to get that bad one off of you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.