IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 WRX STI Hatch all stock. Downloaded the Torque Pro app and connected Bluetooth OBD II adapter. Everything worked fine for a bit then suddenly CEL went on, flashing traction lights, and C.Diff flashing "Lock". I cleared the CEL code which was U0073.

Anybody experience this before?

Should I be worried?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Torque does nothing more than read from the adapter. It can't be the cause. If anything it's the adapter. Which one did you get?
Agreed, this has nothing to do with the app but likely is related in some way to your adapter. It's basically a communication lapse or error.

Check that the adapter is securely plugged into the OBD port and that there's nothing abnormal about your battery voltage. If neither of those is a problem then you're adapter should be changed out.

Particularly if you're running one of the inexpensive Bluetooth adapters, it's very common to get a dud. See if you can get your money back or exchange it, but it's not worth $30 to risk damaging your ecu. There's generally nothing wrong w these cheap adapters if you get a working one, I use one that was about $30 without any issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Torque does nothing more than read from the adapter. It can't be the cause. If anything it's the adapter. Which one did you get?
I picked up the highest reviewed one on Amazon. I believe it's called BAFX. I saw that it was recommended in a couple of forums.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, this has nothing to do with the app but likely is related in some way to your adapter. It's basically a communication lapse or error.

Check that the adapter is securely plugged into the OBD port and that there's nothing abnormal about your battery voltage. If neither of those is a problem then you're adapter should be changed out.

Particularly if you're running one of the inexpensive Bluetooth adapters, it's very common to get a dud. See if you can get your money back or exchange it, but it's not worth $30 to risk damaging your ecu. There's generally nothing wrong w these cheap adapters if you get a working one, I use one that was about $30 without any issues.
Everything was secured. I'm generally pretty paranoid about connections and I'm always checking.

My car had a bad battery so I recently swapped in a new one since the original was 6-7 years old. I also have my battery trickle tendered when parked for long periods. I believe the volts should be ok but I haven't gotten a chance to check.

I bought the BAFX Bluetooth OBD II reader on Amazon. Although highly reviewed it is a cheap device. I just sent it back for a return this morning. I'm thinking of picking up the OBDLink LX to see if I still get the same issues.

Thanks for the feedback hopefully this resolves it.

On a separate note, do you know if the torque app can monitor oil pressure/tempature, knock, and misfires?

·
Registered
951 Posts
This happened to me one time with my Accessport years ago.

the AP plug on the OBD2 was loose I guess, and it caused this erroneous code.

I unplugged AP, re-plugged back in and cleared code. Hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
On a separate note, do you know if the torque app can monitor oil pressure/tempature, knock, and misfires?
No, the engine doesn't have oil pressure or temp gauges.

Knock--only when you're using the "knock plug-in" but not on-going, in real time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, the engine doesn't have oil pressure or temp gauges.

Knock--only when you're using the "knock plug-in" but not on-going, in real time.
Do you know where I can find the knock plug on? The torque wiki had a dead link. Also can't find it in the app store.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Might not be able to get it anymore, it was an add on in Google Play when I downloaded it. It's really of very limited utility, you start the plugin, it prompts you to go WOT, and then it watches for whatever it thinks is indicative of knock within the monitoring abilities of the ECU for that one run.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might not be able to get it anymore, it was an add on in Google Play when I downloaded it. It's really of very limited utility, you start the plugin, it prompts you to go WOT, and then it watches for whatever it thinks is indicative of knock within the monitoring abilities of the ECU for that one run.
It sounds like it is no longer supported. The Btssm app in the Google play store looks more promising than torque. Have you had an experience with that app?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
It sounds like it is no longer supported. The Btssm app in the Google play store looks more promising than torque. Have you had an experience with that app?

I do not, but I am interested. That app appears to be able to display DAM (IAM), fuel trims, feedback knock, and fine knock learn. These are the most important ones to me and the reason I don't use torque anymore (because I use my accessport instead). I'll have to look into this app, it would be nice to have the option of stowing the AP without losing the ability to monitor those items.

Plus that's a nice thing for people who want to monitor those without tuning. I had a leak on my intake manifold for likely around a year without realizing it. I had occasional misfire CELS etc but overall the ECU was compensating, I just never knew this until I got an AP and the fuel trims were way off (but still within the abilities of the ECU).

Importantly, a lot of the cheap OBD devices such as the ELM one I have, do not support SSM, so there would be some loss of functionality there without buying a new adapter. The one you're looking at does support that, but it says it polls pretty slowly in K-line mode, which I think is generally the basic parameters you're able to monitor with any old OBD adapter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not, but I am interested. That app appears to be able to display DAM (IAM), fuel trims, feedback knock, and fine knock learn. These are the most important ones to me and the reason I don't use torque anymore (because I use my accessport instead). I'll have to look into this app, it would be nice to have the option of stowing the AP without losing the ability to monitor those items.

Plus that's a nice thing for people who want to monitor those without tuning. I had a leak on my intake manifold for likely around a year without realizing it. I had occasional misfire CELS etc but overall the ECU was compensating, I just never knew this until I got an AP and the fuel trims were way off (but still within the abilities of the ECU).

Importantly, a lot of the cheap OBD devices such as the ELM one I have, do not support SSM, so there would be some loss of functionality there without buying a new adapter. The one you're looking at does support that, but it says it polls pretty slowly in K-line mode, which I think is generally the basic parameters you're able to monitor with any old OBD adapter.
Interesting. I just changed my stock air filter the other day and noticed that my car idles a bit more rough. Maybe i'm just paranoid but I guess this app might help me identify something. I just got the torque app not to long ago but was a bit disappointed with the limited features.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts