IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I got caught in a downpour and the intersection was flooded much deeper than I thought.
I entered the intersection in 2nd gear relativly slow and was going ok and it got deep and stalled out. The starter is not turning the motor over just a strange whining noise.

I have never experienced hydrolock before but maybe this is what has happened?

I got a flatbed tow truck to get me back to the house. My question is what should do next?
Let it dry out for a few days and see if it will crank? I know the oil needs changed first thing. Or should I just get it towed to a shop and have them go through it?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated !!!

Thanks,
Parky

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Pull the spark plugs before cranking it. If there is water in the cylinders it can escape from the spark plug ports. If the engine was in fact hydro-locked then do a compression check. I think I've heard it's possible engines can survive under light load, but hydrostatic lock under heavy load usually bends things.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The whining noise in the starter could also be a fried solenoid, not engaging the starter.

Don’t know a lot about water in engines, but water will short electronics for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Pull the spark plugs before cranking it. If there is water in the cylinders it can escape from the spark plug ports. If the engine was in fact hydro-locked then do a compression check. I think I've heard it's possible engines can survive under light load, but hydrostatic lock under heavy load usually bends things.

Yes you are correct in that statement. I too have gotten other engines that have hydrolocked before to run. Sometime they run ok and sometimes they dont.

To the OP, i would remove the plugs and try to spin the engine by hand to see if you can get any water out. Then try cranking it. Replace the spark plugs and air filter. Change the oil and then attempt to start the engine. Its also possible the starter could have shorted due to water. If you do manage to get the engine to run, it may not be a bad idea to do a compression/leakdown just to verify engine health.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the suggestions thus far...

I will pull the plugs and see if any water comes out as well as pull the CAI and dry it out as well.

Yes, I have a AEM CAI that likely pulled in water.
The water level was at the bottom of the doors, so the exhaust was also under water too.

It was in the water for about 20 minutes before I got help pushing it out of the flooded intersection.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Yes you are correct in that statement. I too have gotten other engines that have hydrolocked before to run. Sometime they run ok and sometimes they don't.
Right. A buddy with an old XJ did a water crossing and though it ran for a bit after hydrolock it ended up throwing a rod.

Then there was another guy I met on the same trail at a different time with a 6.5L diesel powered FJ40. That thing was some feat of engineering. Anyway the turbo inlet tube wasn't secured and fell into the river. It sucked up the water and locked hard. We pulled the glow plugs and cranked it.That was some nasty water that came out of there. After we got it back together it ran perfect. I figure it takes a lot more to bend a diesel.

I guess the only SNAFU was since I didn't know much about diesels and neither did the owner we didn't pull the glow plugs at first. I asked if they went into the cylinders and he said no. So we pulled an injector. Well we pulled the top off anyway. When he cranked it 27 small pieces of the mechanical injector went airborne and landed in the sand. We had to pull the rest of that injector, then another injector so I could figure out how the bits went back together. After pulling the whole injector we realized the glow plugs would work to evacuate the water. So he pulled the rest of the glow plugs while I found all the pieces then disassembled the second injector. I managed to find them all with a magnet, clean them with Brakleen then reassemble both injectors. I want to say that all took something like 12 hours on the sandy banks of the Platte river.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I did the same exact thing last year with my DD, TL Type-S, also with a CAI. The puddle killed the engine around ~5mph, and I tried starting it about 2-3 more times just to see if I could drive her out :p She also spent around ~20minutes in the water.

I was 300% positive that I was needing to rebuild/replace the engine myself so I begun the trouble-shooting and diagnosing myself.
Step 1) pull plugs.
Step 2) Put a wrench and socket on the crank pulley, and try to spin it by hand. If you can make a couple revolutions by hand you'll most likely be out the woods. Then you can continue cranking her via starter to shoot all the water out of the engine.
BUT... If it comes to a HARD stop while spinning by hand, you might as well start pulling the engine now. Orrrrr keep on reading....

But the silver lining in my case, is that INSURANCE FRIGGING COVERED ME!!!! (GEICO)
A claims adjuster came to inspect the car and I already had half the engine disassembled at that point, fully expecting not to be covered, she looked at the air filter and even said "ut oh, the air filter is dripping wet, that's most likely not a good sign" which is why I didn't keep my hopes up.
Luckily I remained patient while they decided (I had 2 other cars to drive at the time) and that was the best call I've ever received, saying I was covered :D:cool:

*edit* also right now time is of the UTMOST essence in case there is water inside the engine, you want to get it out as SOON as possible!! Not wait a couple days.
And if you do see evidence of water you'll want to pour something water displaceable (WD40, Marvel Mystery oil, regular oil, etc) to prevent rusting ASAP.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So did you manage to get it started? Any damage?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unable to get it started, had it towed to the shop.
They called and the were unable to get it turn over by hand.
They have started the tear down and will let me know what they find.

I'll keep you all posted as to what they find.

My poor baby :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unable to get it started, had it towed to the shop.

They called and the were unable to get it turn over by hand.

They have started the tear down and will let me know what they find.

I'll keep you all posted as to what they find.

My poor baby :(

Total bummer....good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
How does water gen onto the oil - especially if not hydro-locked.

I helped a friend get a junkyard engine that sat with a head off with dirt and water in some cylinders. He work oil into em and honed em after he got they assembly rotating, honed em above the pistons.

Not what I'd want to see at my shop, but it ran fine for a couple of years . . . Changing the oil can't hurt, but water doesn't normally get there easily :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heard back from the shop today.
Top end looks ok, but lower short block is stuck and will not turnover by hand.

The insurance adjuster is going to swing by the shop tomorrow and go over with the mechanic to see what will need to be done. I'm thinking new short block is going to be next...

<fingers crossed> hopefully get my baby back soon.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Heard back from the shop today.
Top end looks ok, but lower short block is stuck and will not turnover by hand.

The insurance adjuster is going to swing by the shop tomorrow and go over with the mechanic to see what will need to be done. I'm thinking new short block is going to be next...

<fingers crossed> hopefully get my baby back soon.

IFyou're covered like me, you'll most likely receive an entire long-block. It'll be way cheaper AND EASIER for insurance to simply swap out the entire long block, rather than a dealer having to worry about getting the heads disassembled, inspected and skimmed if needed, then needing to worry about correctly torque'ing the heads onto the block (which we all know is an entire can of worms in and of itself.)

Production numbers of my Type-S (with the specific J35) are much less than the STi so if they were able to source me a J35, an EJ25 should be no problem for you. :cool::tup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update:

Got the car back from the shop today... $ 5k later.
Insurance covered most of it thank goodness.

Breaking in the new short block and enjoying the new clutch.

Thanks all for the advise and suggestions !!! :tup:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Wow I'm surprised to hear they reused your heads.

I did the same thing; while the engine was out I had them install new rear motor mount and clutch/flywheel. Out of my own pocket, obvi.

Glad to hear it worked out :tup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts