IW STi Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
8,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ask Renee to come by to take a test drive on his Tein SS-P after his alignment.

I shifted hard into second and I got a serious hesitation, the CEL came on, thought it was boost creep so we pull over and restart the car a few times and its gone.

I get on the highway again, rip it into 3rd, and bam, again....car is acting funny as hell.

so we are sitting there on the side of the road. No clue whats up...

The car idles are 3k, pressing the gas didnt do anything at one point.

Then all of the sudden the gas pedal works, and we are off, but this time the car wont go past 3k rpms, its like a fuel cut type thing, it just hesistates and wont make boost.

So I conclude that this only happens when you shift hard into gears. Somehow the car fixes itself after a few mins, or just a few restarts.

Now Renee doent drive like me all the time, and I was also "testing" the car out so I was being hard on it, but still, this should NOT be happening.

We go and plug in the cobb AP to read the code, and NOTHING!

It doest see any codes.... :confused:

So any thoughts guy?

Seems to me like a sensor is loose. Only happens when shifting hard. When it does happen the idle sticks to 3k rpms and the gas pedal has no function, or the gas pedal does work and it wont go past 3k rpms.

very strange... help him out guys. hes outside now!

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
the 3k rpm idle sounds like it's going into limp mode for a little while. it's ashame you weren't able to plug the ap in when the cel was on. i hate to ask the obvious but, does the car have enough oil and gas in it?

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
check your throttle position sensor maybe?

theres a sensor on your pedal, and a sensor near or in the throttle body.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
The AP does not show you all the codes. You need to find out what code was thrown to diagnose the problem. Next time it happens don't reset the ECU. Either go to an Auto Zone or you can use my ODBII reader to find out whats up......PM me up if you wanna meet up.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
yea, the AP only has a listing of the more common codes. also you might want to double check the intercooler hoses as someone suggested in renee's journal

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
ok so i think i solved the problem, i pulled out the maf just now and dirt was caked all over the sensor. so i went to autozone and got some cnc maf cleaner and sprayed it, it was so dirty that i had to take a q tip and gently get the dirt off and then i reset the ecu and i went up and down my street at wot and the car actually felt better than it was before. im not positive if thats why the car was throwing the cel but the cel is gone and the car hasnt done anything weird this morning.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Why was it so dirty in the first place? What filter do you have? How many miles are on your car?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts