IW STi Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys half of my freaking day is wasted on this stupid drain bolt.

What freaking size is it supposed to be????
10MM? Well a 10mm allen is too big. I ran out to the store to find a 9mm. Turns out that is too small.

A T55 fits but man I'm not getting a good bite, this thing is on there....

[/IMG]

All I wanted to do is be nice and change all the fluids. So far nothing done yet :(.

The T70 was a piece of cake, I may end up ruining this drain.

Has anyone else had issues?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Guys half of my freaking day is wasted on this stupid drain bolt.

What freaking size is it supposed to be????
10MM? Well a 10mm allen is too big. I ran out to the store to find a 9mm. Turns out that is too small.

A T55 fits but man I'm not getting a good bite, this thing is on there....

Image Link
]Image Link
[/URL]

All I wanted to do is be nice and change all the fluids. So far nothing done yet :(.

The T70 was a piece of cake, I may end up ruining this drain.

Has anyone else had issues?
I use Snap On tools all the time no Issues but the tools cost an arm & a leg.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well all the write-ups say 10mm. My 10mm fits in the top no problem.
the bottom one for some reason has a different size. I'm wondering if they used another subaru one.

This one is not 10mm.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,136 Posts
Thought mine were 10mm, not positive, but never had an issue.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
It should be a 10mm allen. I just did my trans and diff flush on my GV a couple of months ago and thats really all i remember using along with a T70 and 22mm semi deep socket for the rear diff.

If its not 10mm or 9mm then maybe someone replaced it with something else at some point. Try using american standard sizes and see if you find one that fits.

BTW, your image doesnt work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys....
You are right... supposed to be 10mm, but this one has been effected by bad tooling. I was nervous getting it out but I did.

Now I just need to find another drain.
The dealer here wasn't very helpful and said none in a 50 mile radius :(

Does anyone know where I can get one quickly?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I might have to bite the bullet and re-use this one for now.

I might use the better one on the bottom and switch with this on on the fill.
I will slightly under torque it so I can get it back off.

I'm having a hard time finding the part number for this style.

I search google and none of the allen styles come up?

·
Registered
859 Posts
I had the same issue; multiple dealerships didnt have them in-stock. i would call around tho and not rely on one dealership saying it's all out of stock elsewhere.

My drain plug was still useable, tho slightly marred. Ended up ordering online for replacements - my next tranny flush, i'll replace the bolts. the drain and filler on the transmission were the same plug according to 2012 diagrams (and from what i remember pulling off of the car) - the gaskets were different tho. i think i ordered from subarugenuineparts.

807018060 - Drain Plug x 2
803918060 - oilPan gasket (gasket for the bottom)
803918040 - copper fillhole gasket (gasket for the filler)

32103AA080 - clutch drain
803926090 - clutch drain plug gasket

edit: you got hte torque specs for them right? i downloaded a FSM and one of them had the wrong specs, something like 150 ftlbs when its supposed to be like 50 ftlbs or there abouts for the t70, and 34 or something for the two smaller plugs. dbl check those numbers!

·
Registered
859 Posts
also when searching for the parts off of parts.subaru.com, they'll be listed under manual transmission when navigating to it (after year and model blahblah blah car, goto "all categories" instead of staying in the "popular" tabs, then go to "manual transmission" category):

these are all for 2012, but i think the parts are the same. you can still just backtrack and select your MY.

clutch housing parts:

MT, CLUTCH HOUSING.. For 2012 Subaru STI WAGON 2.5L TURBO 6MT 4WD | Subaru Parts Online

oil pan parts

MT, TRANSMISSION CASE. CASE & OIL PAN.. For 2012 Subaru STI WAGON 2.5L TURBO 6MT 4WD | Subaru Parts Online

and for transmission case, where the filler hole is:

MT, TRANSMISSION CASE. SWICH & PUMP COVER.. For 2012 Subaru STI WAGON 2.5L TURBO 6MT 4WD | Subaru Parts Online

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crick, thanks a lot...
Man the dealers do not seem very helpful....

DO you have the gasket numbers for the rear diff?

I'm re-using for now. I can get away with it. I will get new plugs and gaskets for the next time.

Thanks guys....

·
Registered
859 Posts
DIFFERENTIAL (INDIVIDUAL).. For 2012 Subaru STI WAGON 2.5L TURBO 6MT 4WD | Subaru Parts Online

32103KA000 - Bottom Drain Plug (tho i didnt need to replace this, came off easily; looks good for reuse)

The top one is listed in the diagram, but it's $150 cuz of the sensor its attached to.

803920050 - gasket, for both filler and drain plug.

Hey when you did your rear diff, was there any sorta gasket material in the threads?

I heard the WRX's had them, but not needed in the STI. i think when i had my rear diff done the first time, the guy put some in. was messy to cleanup. i noticed it doing my rear diff a few months ago. used none of that pastey gasket material and just the regular gaskets and no leaks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No gasket material in the threads on the diff. I ended up re-using those gaskets also for now.

Next time I will change all gaskets.

Man I hate the smell of gear oil. I still smell traces of it.
Gear oil is the worst.

If it doesn't leak don't bother. You definitely want a metal gasket but sometimes that thread locker can make a mess and sometimes and do more harm than good.

If you are doing the right thing using new gaskets and regular intervals, you should not have leaks.

Now some rear ends have pipe threads, tapered threads. Some people like to use sealer in those cases but we have nice metal gaskets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts