IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks. I am trying to swap out my stock HID bulbs for some that are a little bit more "blue-white" in color. I checked the owners manual, but am having a bit of a problem. The manual says to remove the bulb cover by turning it, which went smoothly. It then says to remove the electrical connector pin, and then to remove a "spring clip" in order to access the bulb. These last two steps are proving problematic.....in that all I see when I remove the cover is a silver metal piece w/a yellow wire going across it. I don't see any "spring pin" (my terminology may not be as it appears in the manual) nor any electrical connector which I can disconnect. Has anyone done this that can shed some light (yes, pun intended) on the process for me??? As always, ANY help is most appreciated!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Piece of cake....but I had to look it up as well when I baked my headlights.

When you pull the cover off, you see the back of the ballast...looks like this....

Push in on the ballast a little and turn it counter clockwise. You'll feel it pop loose. When it doesn't want to twist CC any further, pull it off. Should kinda 'pop' off the back of the bulb. With that loose, unconnect the yellow wire (simple spade terminal) and you should be left with just the bulb. Now you'll see the spring pin. Unhook it and your bulb is free.

Be sure to post up pictures of the different bulbs. Which ones did you get and from where BTW?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow. Rob, I am so appreciative you have NO idea. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this. I got Phillips 6000K bulbs from Dan over at Godspeed. It took them awhile to arrive as customs had them hung up in Germany, but they should look really nice once installed. I also did a high beam HID conversion, but need to swap those bulbs as well (they're 8000K, and just too "purpley" for my taste, and eyes for that matter). I'm a techo-retard though.....don't know how to post pics yet. (remember me, with the mudflaps on the Java Black STi?) I will figure out the pic aspect ASAP though, as I want you guys to see my pride-n-joy! Are you still up for hosting those pics for me??? If so I will get some taken and try to get a Kinko's or something to send them thru to you. Just let me know and thanks again, very very much!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
No problem at all man...that's what this forum should be all about. Like I said, I ran into the same problem when I was pulling my headlights apart. No reason not to spread the knowledge around.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your ride. The offer to host is always there, just email them over to [email protected] and I'll throw up a gallery for you.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do man, and thanks again for your help on everything. If it wasn't for you and MKIV (among others) my STi would still be stock! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts