IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so I made a horrible mistake in moving from Denver to Columbia MO where NO ONE works on subarus - I am very weary of taking my car to the subie dealership since they all wear chrysler uniforms - it's a Chrysler dealership that sells subies too! :lol:

Anyways, I recently took my car in to get some stuff looked at. I have fresh pistons in it after cracking the rings on 2 and 4.. Anyways because I was having so much leakdown my TMIC and everything was soaked in oil so all of the inlet lines, tubing from tmic to t/b, etc were slipping off. So I sprayed out the TMIC had everything tightened down at the dealership (for free so why not, right?) and I get my car back and the tubing from TMIC to t/b is torn up. I am about to go out and take off that rubber tubing to make sure it can't be leaking.. HOWEVER! After I got my car back from the dealership it was boosting GREAT! They didn't adjust any of the boost lines from my after market solenoid or anything, but recently my car has been dragging ass.. It's only boosting barely over a bar should be peakin' on highway around 1.2 and well if I get a solid gear to gear pull on the streets.. It pulls through the rpm's fine but isn't putting me in my seat.
I don't think it's leaking because as far as I can tell from my greddy boost gauge and ebc it's not falling prematurely anywhere just not hitting target boost.
To simply state my car feels horrible. The worst part is that I have no subie hook ups here.. No one can simply lift my car up check for boost leaks (which I highly doubt I have - I checked the lines) however I'd like to get under it here in the next few days (work permitted) to check the exhaust.. The only source for a solution is the dealership and paying upmost of a $100/ hr!! :eek:
I'm debating to cash in stock and some 401 to get a turbo kit, fmic, injectors and retune (i have all other supporting mods) however no one in this damn state can do it! I have axis power but they don't specialize in turbo kits and what not - they can install and build a motor.. I don't want to buy parts from ebay and online and go to an installer.. I want to do business at one shop for warranty/ service issues and convenience. I checked out GRD Performance (Naperville, IL - the closest "shop" to me) and on their website they only have APS and I was thinking about a GT35r rotated kit or at least an FP Green but so far not so good.. :mad:

Oh and also to note whenver I turn my car on and I do mean whenever I turn it on a nicely sized black cloud of smoke puffs out the exhaust but I am catless (aps tbe 3.5") but what do you guys think about that??
I'm going to clean out my TMIC (spray it out and let it dry) here soon to see if it's just blowby but still... I'm nervous..

At this point I'm thinking about selling the PITA sti and buying an escalade or something more luxurious that I can just drive from point a to point b in some what style without always being pissed that my only release; driving that is in my sti isn't making me happy!
Now I know most of you will comment and say to be patient.. BUT! I had a WRX before this that was just as modded (a lil' more actually with a/m turbo and such) that I never ever had a problem with!! And my STi has been great when it was stock but the BIGGEST PITA when modded!! GRRR :mad:

I don't know anymore.. I'm not a great mechanic if I could even consider myself a mechanic at all.. I'm good at installing my parts and such but diagnosing is a different story.
I simply do not have the time and patience to get under my car and try to figure out a problem and fix it.. and I don't have anyone else to help me do that out here either..

Sorry for venting but I had too.. :cool:
It's just when a v8 transam with pipes on it is pulling you b/c your car is putting power down like s-h-*-t you're gonna be pissed.

So what do you all think? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I wouldn't cash out retirement funds for a turbo. I am sure you can find someone in the area. Do some searching around on some of the boards.

·
Registered
939 Posts
So the silicon/rubber pipe from the turbo to the intercooler is ripped?

Side note: As far as the hose claps slipping on the intercooler( the 2 clamps at the bottom of the intercooler on the short piece of pipe) which is what I assume you're talking about...they are a pain to get to hold in place. You have to mess with it and move the claps and the piping alittle to get them to look like they are doing thery're job.

Hope that helps at all, let me know what tube is ripped too.

If it's the one I said...I had brought my car in to have the dealer install the APS inlet pipe (and I told them it was a PITA)...they took it apart (ie: took the IC off) and called and said no way after looking at the intructions...anyways...they riped the tubing when they went to put the intrcooler back on...and didnt say anything..I found out when I put my Oil press sensor in.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Well after reading all of this I'm not sure what to suggest for you. If you have black smoke at start up then you are obviously burning a little oil from somewhere. You obvioulsy need to fix the immediate problem first before doing any more upgrades. Especially a turbo upgrade. If you think you have problems now then I wouldn't suggest a turbo upgrade. There's always going to be more problems with more mods. I'm still wondering why you are evening running the profec B. You aren't running a turbo upgrade so why not have the stock boost selenoid do its job. There is a good chance that you have a leak somewhere, but I really doubt it is in your exhaust. If so then you would hear it. I suggest you recheck all of the vacuum hoses and check the bypass hose coming off of the bypass valve connecting to the turbo inlet. I've had quite a few problems with my bypass hose loosening from the turbo inlet hose. Another good way to check for leaks is to use a can of brake cleaner and spray around the area you are checking while the car is running. Double check the vacuum lines coming off of the boost selenoid. You may also have to adjust the gain of your boost controller. If you aren't hitting peak boost then it also likely due to the difference in atmosphere or heat. It is probably warmer where you are now as compared to where you lived before. I hope some of this stuff helps. Let us know what you find. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well after tonight my tmic to t/b hosing has come apart so i'm putting it back on... next thing on the list is an immediate retune from GRD in IL with out my PROFEC! I'm attributing many problems to my electronics >> being the greddy profec...
:sigh: it'll get better.. but hey I'm only 22 and if I cash them out ("retirement fund") I'll get taxed hard but oh well turbo kit! - however it would be nice to keep it until I'm at least 40 for future kid's college fund, etc..

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
If you do decide to go with a turbo upgrade, then make sure to get either and AVCR or TurboXS DTEC boost controller. The Profec B is rather limited when compared to the AVCR which most tuners recommend.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ninjaboy76 said:
If you do decide to go with a turbo upgrade, then make sure to get either and AVCR or TurboXS DTEC boost controller. The Profec B is rather limited when compared to the AVCR which most tuners recommend.

yea i've been thinking about avcr a lot lately.. however i think i'm just going to go up to GRD for now and have them relfash my ecutek after i take off my greddy ebc cus it blows and i blame it for a lot of the "inconsistencies" i've been having in how my car runs.. well aside that and crappy subie techs not tightening lines correctly and what not.. oh and some how when i took my car in for some maintenance they did something (i'm not sure) maybe fuse related that is causing my windshield wipers to not work and besides that my car is blowing smoke from the hood scoop because the tubing from the t/b and tmic is loose and torn. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts