IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I am looking for a catback system for a “stock” 2021 STI that can provide a deep rumble, but produce minimal drone. I don’t have too much issue with price as long as it’s not like $2k+. I’ve looked at AWE touring, COBB, and Borla, but don’t know how badly these drone. Any suggestions?

For reference, I actually had a 2020 STI earlier this year which had the Invidia R400 catback and thought it was a bit too droney for my taste. Sadly my 2020 STI was flooded and claimed as a total loss, which is why I would like to do things right for my new one.

Anything helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have remark non res mid pipe and muffler deletes. With just the muffler deletes (or any for that matter) was really good. The mid pipe sent it over into loud town, it’s not as loud now that I have some miles on it but still loud.
I can’t imagine any other brand being any quieter / less drony if there’s no muffler/resonators.
I don’t think you can go wrong with the brands out there all personal preference.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I put a nameless axleback on my...4" double walled tips and 5" mufflers...have neighbors. I still like it. It is not too loud but is enough for a place with neighbors. Good warranty. High quality. On my car, minimal drone.

Someone once told me that pretty much all exhausts have some drone...even those that say they don't....even factory. It is a personal thing. If a straight pipe is a ten and factory is a 2 on drone, these are a 3.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Drone can be a little subjective but none of the three you mentioned has any drone. Of the 3, the AWE Touring will be the loudest, Borla and COBB are about the same in volume. Borla, IMO, has a deeper tone than most other CBE. With that being said, when it comes to sound, it is best to hear them in person. Ask your local owners and see if you can meet with them and hear them to decide which one you like best.

If you haven't seen it yet, this is one of the best Borla video from the sound POV.

Since axel backs are being mentioned here, for reference, this is a great video that compares an axel back to the Borla.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have remark non res mid pipe and muffler deletes. With just the muffler deletes (or any for that matter) was really good. The mid pipe sent it over into loud town, it’s not as loud now that I have some miles on it but still loud.
I can’t imagine any other brand being any quieter / less drony if there’s no muffler/resonators.
I don’t think you can go wrong with the brands out there all personal preference.
Which exhaust you using?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put a nameless axleback on my...4" double walled tips and 5" mufflers...have neighbors. I still like it. It is not too loud but is enough for a place with neighbors. Good warranty. High quality. On my car, minimal drone.

Someone once told me that pretty much all exhausts have some drone...even those that say they don't....even factory. It is a personal thing. If a straight pipe is a ten and factory is a 2 on drone, these are a 3.
That actually doesn’t seem bad. Yea I’m not bad when it comes to drone, but imo with the R400s I had, it’d be difficult to have a convo when cruising at like 70-80 mph. Or even when letting off the throttle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drone can be a little subjective but none of the three you mentioned has any drone. Of the 3, the AWE Touring will be the loudest, Borla and COBB are about the same in volume. Borla, IMO, has a deeper tone than most other CBE. With that being said, when it comes to sound, it is best to hear them in person. Ask your local owners and see if you can meet with them and hear them to decide which one you like best.

If you haven't seen it yet, this is one of the best Borla video from the sound POV.

Since axel backs are being mentioned here, for reference, this is a great video that compares an axel back to the Borla.

I’m heavily debating the Borlas at this point, but it does seem a bit more raspy. Not too sure on the AWEs specifically regarding drone and stuff. I don’t mind the loudness, it’s just the drone I want to try to keep to a minimum.
The R400s I had on my previous STI I would probably rate like a 7 out of 10 on drone. Just looking for something a bit more manageable

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nameless has a nice site and you can customize them...tip, muffler.... I went the most "high tier" route....the double wall tips are really nicely done... 5" muffler is the quietest....no issues commuting to work or in neighborhood. Then you can add the midpipe later if you want... Their reviews speak for themselves.

Most of these vendor do a good job. These guys are a local (meaing one place, real people) shop, handmade stuff, and they answered the phone and my questions quite nicely. Anyway, a year and bit later and two winters later...no issues and no quality control concerns (no rust etc.). I'd buy them again. And, I think keeping my stock midpipe was a good move. My local shop says 400whp will not be an isssue with it when and if I go to tune the car.....if that matters to you. The type RA cars get 2.5" exhausts and frankly that is plenty probably to pretty big power...it is the downpipe that is the restriction stock from what I have been told by all parties.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I’m heavily debating the Borlas at this point, but it does seem a bit more raspy. Not too sure on the AWEs specifically regarding drone and stuff. I don’t mind the loudness, it’s just the drone I want to try to keep to a minimum.
The R400s I had on my previous STI I would probably rate like a 7 out of 10 on drone. Just looking for something a bit more manageable
As good and as popular as the R400 once was, it was also well known for it's drone. And again, sound is highly subjective. Personally I have not noticed the Borla being "raspy" in person, I do notice and love the uniqueness deep growl and the purr of the Borla as you accelerate through the RPM range, as if it is a V8. If you are open to more than the above mentioned 3 CBE, I would also recommend that you look into Corsa and Milltek (Most expensive out of all the non-Titanium CBE because they are from GB). Borla and Milltek sounds very similar in tone but neither are as loud as the AWE, but both have a deeper rumble/tone than AWE does with Milltek a tad deeper than Borla. Corsa is a very nice CBE but with the huge mufflers, it sounds a bit more tame even if it is a 3" CBE straight through.

Again, my best advise is try to listen to them in person. Each CBE is slightly unique and that can not be picked up by any mic or videos.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
My 2019 STI I was running the Borla S-Type. I have the same Borla S-Type on my 2021 STI too. I am also running GrimmSpeed DownPipe adapter. I get no drone plus so many compliments.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just put a corsa on yesterday so will have some feedback soon… What kind of volume are you looking for, or what kind of sound characteristics? Think you’ll ever add elh or a downpipe?

The borla video is nice above, theres also one made by borla that has some really nice quality recording too. Unfortunately cell phones just don’t capture an exhaust well, also when listening your best bet is to use headphones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone! I think I'll actually be opting for the Borlas. My STI is stock and don't think I'd be getting ELHs or a downpipe - at least not any time soon.

I do like the Borla "throaty" and deep sound it has to it, and from the reviews I've seen, people mention it does not produce much drone. We'll see the results!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks everyone! I think I'll actually be opting for the Borlas. My STI is stock and don't think I'd be getting ELHs or a downpipe - at least not any time soon.

I do like the Borla "throaty" and deep sound it has to it, and from the reviews I've seen, people mention it does not produce much drone. We'll see the results!
So, just to make sure you’re aware there is the standard and also black tipped version, could look great depending on your car color. A little more, but the borla is pretty reasonable to start with. (It was under 1100 on Amazon of all places when I was looking). Enjoy the borla, post back with how you like it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, just to make sure you’re aware there is the standard and also black tipped version, could look great depending on your car color. A little more, but the borla is pretty reasonable to start with. (It was under 1100 on Amazon of all places when I was looking). Enjoy the borla, post back with how you like it.
I'll try to keep it posted (honestly first time I've been within a forum haha). But definitely going for the black tips on my white STI. Gotta do the black/white contrast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No one mentioned the invidia Q300? seems like the right street version. I don't know why people buy "RACE" exhausts with no resonators or mufflers and complain they are loud afterwards?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the Cobb titanium catback and I think it is fine. no drone....to me. having a bunch of experience with that on a previous car.

·
Administrator
8,158 Posts
I have the Cobb titanium catback and I think it is fine. no drone....to me. having a bunch of experience with that on a previous car.
The cobb catted TBE on the GD's was a thing of beauty. Very stock looking, good gains, no drone at all, enhanced subie rumble and honestly I think it looked better than stock. I've seen the newer GR/15+ versions and wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if I had an STI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all,
I am looking for a catback system for a “stock” 2021 STI that can provide a deep rumble, but produce minimal drone. I don’t have too much issue with price as long as it’s not like $2k+. I’ve looked at AWE touring, COBB, and Borla, but don’t know how badly these drone. Any suggestions?

For reference, I actually had a 2020 STI earlier this year which had the Invidia R400 catback and thought it was a bit too droney for my taste. Sadly my 2020 STI was flooded and claimed as a total loss, which is why I would like to do things right for my new one.

Anything helps!
I personally love my Invidia r400 on my 2021 STI. When I first put it on it was RIDICULOUSLY loud and droney, and I started having second thoughts but once it broke in it quieted down a got and was a lot less droney. Definitely the deepest tone exhaust, I absolutely love it and it's crackles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts