IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Canada where the STi doesn't get the HID's, I realy want to have HID's on my car, What is the best way to go about it?
I would prefer the stock (US modle) HID's.
Price?
Advantages?
Any suggestions?
:(

·
Registered
142 Posts
Honestly, I'm not that impressed with the HIDs considering the cost. Don't get me wrong they are good headlights but I would be pretty upset with myself if I payed $1000ish for these things.

I was more satisfied with my setup on my '02 sporting OEM headlights with OEM bulbs and Hella 500s replacing the OEM fog lights and triggered with my brights.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i can tell you that a STi HID setup goes for $1500. i know this cause i crashed and broke one. $750 each!!!!! and that was paid for by insurance. i imagine just buying them out right could cost more. definately go with what Istepnio offered up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there.

I upgraded our A4 in the past from halogen to xenon with a kit from www.lltek.com. Unfortunately, they don't offer a kit for Subies. I paid $600US for the whole kit. The difference is amazing. The lights are much more clear, not yellowich and the distance is much greater. There are numerous discussions on audiworld.com (A4 forum) if you'd like more scientific data. One more thing to consider is that kits don't include the leveling mechanism that you get with the stock option. I think its some kind of law in the US that if a car has xenon lights, there must be a way to level them. On the STi, it is a kittle knob, on Audis, they are self leveling (pretty cool).

They are definately worth it in my book.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Re: Blue/Silver high resolution STi pics

Please don't buy a set on e-bay. It's been a while, but I haves seen 1 post, somewhere about a stolen set. Don't create a market...

·
Registered
524 Posts
Does the $1500 for the US OEM HID lights include ballasts and capsules?? If so, this would be worthwhile for the price. You would get the correct optics in the headlight housing for HID and quality components for the ballasts and capsules.

for people who aren't satisfied with the US HID lights, have you considered maybe just changing the capsules? Unless you're changing the lights to projectors or upping the wattage in the ballasts, you're not going to get significantly more light out of your headlights. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
You might want to check out Gruppe-S. They had the JDM HID kits for sale on NASIOC for a pretty good price a little while back. I think they are currently sold out, but the would give you an idea on price.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a set of Subaru 2004 OE JDM HID headlights from Japan for my Canadian model 04 STi which came from the factory with halogen lights. I have a question for anyone who can help. Firstly does anyone know if the Japanese model has a six wire HID headlight leveling switch or a four wire switch like the US model. I read somewhere that the Japanese model is adjustable for both hi and low beam and the US model is just adjustable on low beam. Is this true?

·
Registered
347 Posts
The US model only has HID low beams; the highs are normal halogen. Since only the HID portion needs to be adjustable, then there is no reason to make the highs adjustable.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Japanese Model STi HID headlamps

akillya said:
I bought a set of Subaru 2004 OE JDM HID headlights from Japan for my Canadian model 04 STi which came from the factory with halogen lights. I have a question for anyone who can help. Firstly does anyone know if the Japanese model has a six wire HID headlight leveling switch or a four wire switch like the US model. I read somewhere that the Japanese model is adjustable for both hi and low beam and the US model is just adjustable on low beam. Is this true?
Where did you buy it? How much was the cost?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Upgraded Gaskets...

I bought the light assemblies off of ebay from a wrecked 2004 JDM Sti model. It had 5000 kms on it. The cost was $650US. I do not have the dash leveling switch or the harness for the switch yet but assume its another $150.?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
You also need to remember, the JDM version is setup for RHD and the focus of the HID's are different than the USDM.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I found the part number for the JDM dash headlight leveling switch. Its 83011FE010. My dealer here in Canada will sell it for $68.00cdn.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts