IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I need to replace my Falken 615's.
Winter is at the door (if you can call what we have winter).
We usually get mild winters (Israel), coldest is a few degrees Centigrade warmer then freezing and even if it pours rain it might be sunny and warm the same day.

First, I don't know if I should get 225/235/245's.
Second, since it's not very cold here, and not very wet as well, I think I can install high performance like Another set of the Falkens or some Advan tyre or maybe the Bridgestone RE01R?
Can these tires handle rain and wet conditions OK?

Also, I understand some of the 245's add to the wheel diameter and obviously to the height of the car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Max Performance Summer tires, mainly because of the rubber compound they're made of and tread design, generally don't preform well in cold weather. This coupled to snow or ice could lead to disaster. Unfortunately, I'm not familar with the Israeli climate, but from what you described you may be able to get by using summer tires.

As for the 245 question. The "225" refers the width of the tire in millimeters, measured from sidewall to sidewall. Increasing a tire from 225 to 245 will only change the amount of rubber you're putting on the road, and not the height of the car. The aspect ratio is the number that tells you the height of the tire, which does influence the height of your car. As long as you keep similar sidewall aspect ratios when upgrading wheels/tires, your car's height should remain relatively the same.

(IE going from a 17in wheel with 225/45/R17 tires to a 18in wheel with 225/40/R18 tires. Or if you upgrade tires, but use the same 17in wheel: 225/40/R17 to a 225/45/R17, then you will using a tire that has slightly larger sidewalls, which will affect the height of your car.)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
245/40/17 is approx. the same height as 225/45/17 from what I have read around here.

the second number (sidewall) is a percentage of total width of the tire. So, a 245/45 would be wider AND taller than a 225/45.

as for a specific tire, there are others here much more qualified to answer that

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I mount 245's on my stock rims? (the ones you see in my avatar).

Anybody can help with how the Advan high performance / Falken 615's / RE01R are in the rain/wet?

Some other tire that has much grip and is predictible and can handle wet conditions as well?

·
Registered
89 Posts

·
resigned
5,609 Posts
IDK how the are in the cold but the Goodyear F1 GS something or other is supposed to be a pretty damn good overall tire, but the sidewalls are a little soft...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Changing the width of the tires will also change the overall diameter. You would want to maintain the same overall diameter and prevent accuracy in your speedometer and others....

I had mine from a 225/45/17 to a 235/40/18. Not identical but okk...

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Btw, I'll get the Kumho MX. I would say Advans and Bridgestones are not the best if you consider $$ issue. When you get Kumho, go ahead and wear those tires. Then get a new one! Unless of course $$ for tires are pocket change for you :)

- Charles

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need to think of availability at my area as well... I think I can get Yokohama's and Bridgestone the easiest and with at better discount.

I read on Tire Rack that the RE01R's don't really fall short on performance compared to the Advan AD07's (Thanks Prophet!), but they do much better in ride comfort and quality.

So I think the RE01R's would be the right tires for me, either that or the OEM RE070's, not much price difference and I know the RE070's handle wet well, but I only see RE070's in 225/45-17 stock size on tire rack, can I get them in 245? What would you take?

I checked the tire size differences in that link chaddeus, I saw the difference between a 225/45-17 and a 245/45-17 tire will be +2.8% to overall diameter (0.7inch), so as long as it doesn't damage anything that don't matter to me much.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can only get the RE070s in the stock size. (They might have more sizes in Japan but I doubt it would be worth the money)

Next summer I will get RE-01R (235/40/18) for my car so thats where I place my vote.

If I was staying with stock size wheel I would probably get the RE-01R just to see if I liked them more then the RE070.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts