IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currenty own a VW VR6 Jetta, pretty heavily modded. It is a fast car, i just kind of decided it is time for a change. i have a couple questions for you owners:
1. If you had the choice, would you buy it again?
2. Are they a fairly reliable car, i know most of the STI's out there are brand new, but have any of you experienced any problems yet?
3. If i buy one, which extra's would you recommend?
4. Are there very many aftermarket parts/mods to do on these cars?
5. How do they compare to your last car?
I guess what i am asking is for you to talk me into buying one...
Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
1.definately yes 2.as far as i know they are one of the most reliable names on the road,the only problems i've heard about are rattling glove boxes,hanging trunk latches(i think the cable needs more tension)and parking scrapes on the front splitters(they are just about the right height to hit every curb) 3.the mirror,armrest extension,security upgrade,lugnuts,and the stereo if you like factory stereos 4.the aftermarket for these cars is still beginning, regular wrx parts that fit now are turboback,catback,and axleback exhaust,uppipes(unnecassary no cat in sti uppipe) all headers,most wheels,intakes,freedom design front strut bar(w/ trimming of intercooler ducting),and rear strut bars. check out www.airpowersystems.com.au 5.it blows my last car out the water
2001 honda prelude hooked up all i can say is get one of em (evo,sti)if your able to afford it.or save up for the evo rs.or wait for the twin turbo sti legacymmmmmmmm yummmy

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quick APS question...

I’m actually amazed at the reliability so far. I have not heard of any real major problems with the Sti in any way. I came from 10 Hondas that were extremely reliable but always had something or another wrong with an amount of them. My Del Sols had leaky targas, my S2000's had the "clutch" issue, my TLs has the "rattling" issues. All of these showed up on a large amount of the cars. So far, as a member of 3 different Sti forums, I have not heard about any major problems. A few here and there but they were so far specific to that car. Sure, my trunk latch sticks like everyone else's but I don’t consider it a problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When does the TT legacy get released. i probably wouldn't be doing much to this car until the factory warranty was gone, unless the mod could be easliy hidden from the dealer. do you guys find that a lot of people try to race you with this car?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I only have 1200 miles on my STi, so my experience is limited....
1) So far, yes, I would do it again. Initially, I was a little put off by the constant shifting of the 6spd to keep it under 4k rpm's and was starting to wish I went for the Evo and the 5spd. Once broken in.....no more wishing.
2) I've heard they're reliable, but this is my first Subaru and I only have 1200 miles.....so far, so good.
3) I didn't get any options. The only option I wanted was the auto-dimming mirror and the only option I didn't want was the boost gauge.
4) As previously stated, the aftermarket is still growing. We're all waiting for some engine management.
5) Compared to my last "daily" driver, a '99 Mazda Protege which I traded in for the STi, it is much better :D Compared to my last "toy", a '94 Supra w/ 700hp, it's not quite as fun, but it drives better in the snow :wink:
Scott
'04 STi
JBP/Gold

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
do i need a 90 watt amp?

i think it is going to be 2005 as a 2006 model.the sti is like any other nice car.you find people of like interests(porsches,mercedes,bmws,mustang svts-cobras,etc.)will give you the head nod or wave.every evo i've seen has waved or acknowleged me,even at night they turn on the light to wave.but the same rice boys will try to race you in traffic,in front of a cop,in inclement weather.but once you got the car you will find its not worth it to play with the little boys.take it to the track,autocross,rally,strip whatever just play it safe

·
Registered
117 Posts
At 9000 miles:
1) Most certainly would buy again
2) No problems AFTER the reflash. Trubk Latch is an easy fix, search the forum and you'll see how.
3) Security is always nice.
4) Yes, but pricey. As more hit the road I would suspect they'll drop a bit in price.
5) Blows away my other vehicles. Have had cars with more power, or more refined luxery, but as an all around TOY it's tough to beat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what is a good price on a new STI i would probably get most of the upgrades. except for the radio.. just wondering cause i just got an email sent to a bunch of TN dealers. what is an average price and what is a good deal?

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
msrp is the best deal your gonna get probably.30,995 as a stripper
close to 36,000 loaded.i paid 32,000 w/mirror,lugs,and security.paid
1,200 for the stereo off the net.so if you can get a price below 30k
thats a good deal.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Fuel Rails

if you shop around and are willing to drive a few hours to pick it up, you can find less than MSRP. There's a couple places in Chicago and St. Louis taht offered me 1000 below MSRP. But I bought from a dealer that offered me 2200 less than MSRP (about 400 over invoice).

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
thermobox said:
msrp is the best deal your gonna get probably.30,995 as a stripper
close to 36,000 loaded.

Mine came with the compass/dimming mirror and upgraded security and I got it for just over $29k. Use the internet (vehix.com, carsdirect.com, etc) and you can get a decent quote from your local area dealers. Don't go waltzing into the dealership and start negotiating from the msrp down unless you like unnecessary wasting of time. You do not need to pay msrp for these cars anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts