IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without being biased please help me choose between these cars. I need an all yr round car since my wife 2 seater and a winter car i dont need to have 4 cars and a harley. So here is what i have come up with for my choices. Please give me a reason for choosing one over the other also

thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
what kind of car are you looking for anyway? are you looking for all out performance over comfort (i.e. STi), mostly comfort (i.e. 330xi) or a blend in between (i.e. S60R)?? you've listed cars that fall into any of these descriptions so it all comes down to what type of car you're looking for IMO.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
This isn't really the kind of decision you want to make based on other people's recommendations....

All are good cars, you just need to decide which is best for you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
PHiL2 said:
Without being biased please help me choose between these cars. I need an all yr round car since my wife 2 seater and a winter car i dont need to have 4 cars and a harley.
Maybe if you help us decipher what you are trying to say in the above statement, it would help us decide what you need to be driving. If you need a "round" car, you need the New Beetle. :D

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pic Request: 18" Prodrive GC-07 on an STi

Well i have driven the sti and i must say i am in love with it! The only drawback is the interior IMO. All of the other cars i listed are in a different "class" in every sense of the word! In my career the image is kind of important, not to me, but to other people (i.e. employees, reps, vendors, etc.), reason i say this is my wife seems to think im regressing back to my college years with my old turbo type-r...and maybe i am for considering the sti, but ya only live once.....i am just looking for the drawbacks/positives & your opinions or experiences of the above mentioned cars :(

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
260 Posts
'04 Acura TL, 270 hp, looks clean and sleek, has all the interior amenities that one would hope to have, maybe too large of a car for you?

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
Every one of the other cars in your list would certainly convey more of a mature image than the STi. The STi does have its boy-racer image that some people simply will not be able to live with. Being 32 myself, I debated for a short time on this with myself. . . almost got a 350Z / G35c.

Fact of the matter is, for the money you simply cannot beat the sheer fun, versatility and practicality of the STi. It has 4 doors, a real trunk, AWD and incredible brakes, and it's just above the $30K mark. The G35 and A4 are in the $30K bracket, but can easily approach $40 with options. I fell in love with the Volvo S60R . . . but the $40K pricetag was a bit more than what I was looking to spend right now. However, with performance figures rivaling the STi, and luxury appointments rivaling the BMWs, it is certainly in a class all its own at that price. The 330 is a staple of the affluent or the affluent wannabes, in my opinion. Still a fabulous car, it's viewed as the "Poor man's BMW" by those who have nicer cars. . . and for the image purpose, that can be counter to what you're trying to accomplish. One of my good friends just bought a 2001 330i and loves his car. . . . as do I. However, it's already been in the shop a few times this last 6 weeks . . . albeit for minor things, it has still nonetheless been worked on. BMWs are certainly going to be the most-costly to maintain. . . no doubt about that.

If you love the STi as much as you do, I would recommend seriously looking at it again. The wing can be traded with a MY04 WRX owner who would LOVE to have one. . . . via a trunk swap that has even been outlined on this site. A couple hours of your time, and perhaps a couple hundred dollars in trade with the WRX owner's trunk makes for not only a far more subtle STi . . . but you end up with some money back in the process. The interior is something that could also be addressed. If you can get past the blue carpet and door panels, the seats can always be recovered via a Katzkin kit. (For this I would recommend selling your STi seats for cash and trade with a MY04 WRX owner and using the WRX seats for this. They're the exact same shape, but the sweet fabric won't go to waste this way as someone else would get to enjoy them.) An aftermarket stereo system will sound better than the stock system you could buy . . . and you'll probably even save money on that, as well. There are plenty of aftermarket rims that fit the STi not too unbecoming of a mild-mannered sports sedan. . . and you really can't go wrong with any of the four color options to complete the look. I would recommend either the Java Black or the Platinum Silver in this case.

Honestly, the STi can fit the bill with some very minor attention . .. for far less money than the alternatives.

Although the G35's intertior is nice-looking, feel the controls, etc. To me, they felt far cheaper than the STi's. Not only that, but the Nissan paint these days leaves a lot to be desired. The Audi A4 would probably be my next choice in your case. . . although without the Quattro package, the performance and the all-weather capabilities will fall very short of the STi's. . . and it'll cost you far more to achieve that with the A4.

Am I fan of the STi you ask? You betcha! But first and foremost, I am an auto enthusiast. For this reason, if another car better-suited you, I would certainly have no reservations in saying so. Quite honestly, though. . . since you really like the STi, I would go ahead and buy it. ;)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yukonart said:
Every one of the other cars in your list would certainly convey more of a mature image than the STi. The STi does have its boy-racer image that some people simply will not be able to live with. Being 32 myself, I debated for a short time on this with myself. . . almost got a 350Z / G35c.

Fact of the matter is, for the money you simply cannot beat the sheer fun, versatility and practicality of the STi. It has 4 doors, a real trunk, AWD and incredible brakes, and it's just above the $30K mark. The G35 and A4 are in the $30K bracket, but can easily approach $40 with options. I fell in love with the Volvo S60R . . . but the $40K pricetag was a bit more than what I was looking to spend right now. However, with performance figures rivaling the STi, and luxury appointments rivaling the BMWs, it is certainly in a class all its own at that price. The 330 is a staple of the affluent or the affluent wannabes, in my opinion. Still a fabulous car, it's viewed as the "Poor man's BMW" by those who have nicer cars. . . and for the image purpose, that can be counter to what you're trying to accomplish. One of my good friends just bought a 2001 330i and loves his car. . . . as do I. However, it's already been in the shop a few times this last 6 weeks . . . albeit for minor things, it has still nonetheless been worked on. BMWs are certainly going to be the most-costly to maintain. . . no doubt about that.

If you love the STi as much as you do, I would recommend seriously looking at it again. The wing can be traded with a MY04 WRX owner who would LOVE to have one. . . . via a trunk swap that has even been outlined on this site. A couple hours of your time, and perhaps a couple hundred dollars in trade with the WRX owner's trunk makes for not only a far more subtle STi . . . but you end up with some money back in the process. The interior is something that could also be addressed. If you can get past the blue carpet and door panels, the seats can always be recovered via a Katzkin kit. (For this I would recommend selling your STi seats for cash and trade with a MY04 WRX owner and using the WRX seats for this. They're the exact same shape, but the sweet fabric won't go to waste this way as someone else would get to enjoy them.) An aftermarket stereo system will sound better than the stock system you could buy . . . and you'll probably even save money on that, as well. There are plenty of aftermarket rims that fit the STi not too unbecoming of a mild-mannered sports sedan. . . and you really can't go wrong with any of the four color options to complete the look. I would recommend either the Java Black or the Platinum Silver in this case.

Honestly, the STi can fit the bill with some very minor attention . .. for far less money than the alternatives.

Although the G35's intertior is nice-looking, feel the controls, etc. To me, they felt far cheaper than the STi's. Not only that, but the Nissan paint these days leaves a lot to be desired. The Audi A4 would probably be my next choice in your case. . . although without the Quattro package, the performance and the all-weather capabilities will fall very short of the STi's. . . and it'll cost you far more to achieve that with the A4.

Am I fan of the STi you ask? You betcha! But first and foremost, I am an auto enthusiast. For this reason, if another car better-suited you, I would certainly have no reservations in saying so. Quite honestly, though. . . since you really like the STi, I would go ahead and buy it. ;)

Well i hope your a salesman like myself because now i am really sold!!!!!

thanks for the input and reassurance cuz i dont want that wannabe image and maybe in my business people will respect me more now that im thinking of it.....now they wont think im charging them an arm and a leg :wink:

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
To put it simply: Your average person knows that a Subaru owner is not hung up on any particular image or status symbolism. They are mostly practical folk who want something they can depend on, get them through almost any weather, and do so comfortably and safely.

That said, I'm not a salesperson. . . but I've been around long enough to know what most people want, given a little information. And I also hear about what people think of other people's preferences . . . which as sad as it may be, can sometimes influence our purchase decisions.

Honestly, my rather young girlfriend got me very interested in Subarus through her incessant thirst for knowledge on the Legacy Wagon she inherited. When looking for a new car, I gave the STi, as well as standard WRX, a very close look. While I shopped through several fierce competitors (350Z, G35c, S2000, RX-8, S60R, 325i, Evolution, Acura TL, etc) I finally found myself coming back to the STi.

Phil, if you're in an area where you know someone who's got an STi broken-in, and you can truly witness the performance (and fun) factor to its fullest. . . . I highly recommend you go for a ride / drive. I had the rare opportunity to test drive one that was fully-broken-in about two months ago. . . and that was the seal on the deal. Since then I've been patiently awaiting the arrival of my own. ;)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It's funny I was just thinking about this a while ago.

With a few minor changes you could really make the STi look like a pretty average streetcar. Sleeper look to the max.

Swapping seats with a WRX, trunk with a 2.5rs, get a front mount intercooler kit and swap the hood for a 2.5rs too, if you really wanted.... take off the STi badges and stickers.....

And it looks like a 2.5rs..... nobody would ever be the wiser. (except of course, your insurance company....)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Not sure what your business is, but you need to decide how important image is to you. If you have doubts, and the opinion of others is that important, I would not get the STi if I were you. Get an Acura sedan or something else that is nice but conveys professionalism without too much snob factor.

Personally I'd never own a 3 series bmw just because of the types that often drive them (sorry all, just have seen to many idiots in bmw's cutting people off, wanting to race everyone, and generally cutting in line as though they were the most important people on the planet). They also aren't any quicker than certain other sedans costing less money.

An STi is probably not going to convey a conservative, professional business image. If that's what you need because of clients (who cares about your coworkers, seriously) then get something else. That's just my opinion.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If image is very important to you, you may not want an STI. For business purpose, I would get G35, BMW 330, Acura TSX or TL and so forth. My job does not require me to take clients around and I don't care what my co-workers think of me driving an STI. I buy it because I like it. This is a very well-balanced performance car. You can drive it as a daily driver or take it to the mountains or tracks to have some fun. Good luck.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Klui said:
If image is very important to you, you may not want an STI. For business purpose, I would get G35, BMW 330, Acura TSX or TL and so forth. My job does not require me to take clients around and I don't care what my co-workers think of me driving an STI. I buy it because I like it. This is a very well-balanced performance car. You can drive it as a daily driver or take it to the mountains or tracks to have some fun. Good luck.
I have an ACURA now and its the biggest pile of shit i have ever owned....i wouldnt recommend an acura to my worst enemy or my motherinlaw (jk)!!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mistkerl said:
Get an STi, screw everyone else, and enjoy your life like the rest of us are

'nuff said

:)
I am a mortgage broker and a realtor. Im still pretty young at 27 and i deal with 40+ yr olds on a daily basis....that was my IMAGE concern, didnt want them to think im little 2f2f boy racer :oops:

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I wouldn't recommend an STi for a realtor, personally. Being a realtor is one occupation you do want to look somewhat professional and successful. Plus it's nice to have something you can drive your clients around in rather than having them follow you everywhere. Makes it easier to talk things over. Not sure how many 40 year olds are going to be really comfortable in the back of a wrx if they are used to something a little more "upscale".

Also, to your comment on the Acura's being junk - I'm kind of anti-honda right now only because they are everywhere, tired of all the riced out tegs and civics, and you can't throw a rock w/o hitting an accord. And for some reason every Honda driver around here seems to think they've got a Honda F1 engine onboard, apparently believing the honda badge adds an extra 100 or more ponies. But I've never known honda to make junk. Seriously, you must have had a lemon. Their cars do have nice fit and finish and quality.

·
Registered
113 Posts
For realtor, I wouldn't recommend an STI. I don't think you would do a 25mph corner at 50mph with your clients inside. Let alone going 120mph on the freeway. If I were you, I would get at least a four door (BMW or Infinity). A 7-passenger van or suv is even better to take your clients around (especially if they come with the family). If you can afford, get an STI for non-business hours to have fun.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well actually i never have clients in my car i always meet them at the property or have one of my employees. and if i want to impress them i can drive the wifes slk320 :-?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I suppose people who don't know much about cars would probably see the STi and not envision a successful broker....

If it was me, I'd be more likely to buy my house from that guy because I'd know that he knows a good thing when he sees it. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts