IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Initially, this thread was started out of interest to sell my STi. After receiving an overwhelming of fan mail with subject lines like "DONT DO IT!" and "Have you lost your mind?" when I expressed this interest, I started to think more about my reasons for selling the car. I thought it would be fun to move over to an EVO to learn more about that car, but I realized that I had just gotten bored of the STI. I know that sounds absurb and it is absurb, but I lost my passion for modifying it further so I figured it was time to sell.

Well, with all of these secret fans that this STi has on these forums, I realized selling it would let them down. Now that that issue is out of the way, we can look forward and I am looking for help from you, your suggestions, your ideas, and your insights into helping to shape the future of this project.

To get you up to speed, here is a list of mods:

18" BBS REs (S203 style)
Cobb AP
Cobb AccessTuner
Helix DP
JDM STi S202 Titanium Exhaust
JDM STi Group N 4.444 Final Drive Ratio
JDM STi Fog Light Package Plus with Lightweight Bumper Beam & Energy Absorber
JDM STi Recaros (v.7)
JDM STi Rear Seats (v.7)
JDM STi Black Carpet
JDM STi Group N Strut Top Mounts
JDM STi Group N Engine Mounts
JDM STi Group N Transmission Mounts
JDM STi Group N Rear Differential Mount
JDM STi Group N Rear Differential Carrier Bushings
JDM STi 6MT Lightweight Flywheel
JDM STi Pink Brembo Stainless Steal Brake Lines
JDM STi Pink Trailing Arms & 6 piece Lateral Links with metal spherical bushings
JDM STi Short Shifter

KW Variant 3 Coilovers
Kartboy Shifter Bushing
Cusco Front & Rear Adjustable Sway Bars
Perrin Lightweight Pulley
Custom Alcon 2 piece Aluminum Hat Rotors (Sheds 30lbs of unsprung weight)
Braille Lightweight Battery
Valentine 1 Radar Detector
CG Locks installed on both Driver and Passenger Seat
Autospeed Dead Pedal

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Sad to say that you're going to have to find somebody with major $$ to get any return on all of those installed goodies. Have you considered putting some stock parts back on and selling "mods" seperately?

If someone got it for 30K, it'd be a bargin with all those goodies.

·
Scooby Newbie
1,355 Posts
Kevin,

I did not think you were that serious when I talked with you last. You have one nice STi! However, I understand, the new Evo 9 MR is going to be a fast car and a ton of fun on the track. I even considered the Evo 8 MR when I bought my STi. In my opinion, I thought the STi was the better bargin. No doubt, the Evo 9 MR will hand it to the STi in every way. :mad:

Good luck on your decision! :tup:

Mike

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
(originally posted under Ben's account because he did not log out of my computer)

Still just seeing if it makes any sense. Right now, it does not look like it given what 04s are getting. The cost to jump to a new MR could get me some serious mods in the STi, like a new 5th and 6th gear from the JDM transmission, new turbo and FMIC system with a new tune. I am also curious to see what the NEW STi looks like as well as any power gains it might have. Maybe I will just keep tweaking what I have and see where that takes me.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I don't think the new EVO is going to be a kick in the pants like everyone is making it out to be. As much as I would love to get my grubby hands on the stuff you have on your STi, I would suggest keeping what you have. You have a great STi already and this engine is still pretty young so the magic of it still hasn't been found. In the long haul I think you would be better off keeping it but it is your car and YOU make the final decision on what would make you happier!!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Stang2STI said:
I don't think the new EVO is going to be a kick in the pants like everyone is making it out to be. As much as I would love to get my grubby hands on the stuff you have on your STi, I would suggest keeping what you have. You have a great STi already and this engine is still pretty young so the magic of it still hasn't been found. In the long haul I think you would be better off keeping it but it is your car and YOU make the final decision on what would make you happier!!
I agreee. I realized my problem, I just like to change things...alot. My patience has gone to nil with the STi. I will cruise it over to a mitsu dealership and talk to someone about a trade in on a stock STi. Maybe I can get a ride and be better informed to make this decision.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
What's new in the Evo IX besides the MIVEC variable valve timing and the body work?

I think I read Active Yaw Control, this time a 'real' yaw control ... Plus the three-way adjustable center differential from the MR (tarmac, gravel, snow) ...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Kingofimports.com said:
New game plan guys, check out the first post. I am kicking the plan of selling the STi and will be putting a new plan into action!

Thanks for the friendly support!

Alright!!! That is refreshing to know that you are going to keep her around. So after reading your new post up above might I ask what direction you want to go with it?? You have a pretty well hooked up STi already short of a new turbo and FMIC. Also a change in EM might be in store.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Things I am considering:

13.0 Quick Steering Rack
Lightweight Calipers
Twinscroll Turbo
FMIC (What is the best one on the market from a quality and fit standpoint?)

Dream and not likely to happen: Spec C Motor & Tranny

OH and in between my realistic mods and dream mods is this body kit if I can get the 05 moldings to fit on the 04 (not sure if anyone has done that) and painted a different non Subaru color:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Glad you changed your mind.

Alright, now for a gameplan.....you need to ditch those rims. They just don't give your car the feng shui it truly deserves. That car above has some feng shui to it, don't you feel it???

·
Registered
603 Posts
Nivek said:
FMIC (What is the best one on the market from a quality and fit standpoint?)
Definitely APS (DR725). I installed mine by myself in a couple of nights (err... long nights). :D

If I had to do it all over again, I'd just get a body shop to trim the bumper skin. That's what ate up most of my time. If you want to see it in person, I'll be back in L.A. around the 28th. :)

-Mike-

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.