IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, having the worst morning ...

Sitting at a stop light .... turns green and I just start to get going when .... BAM, a girl in an old F150 slams into me from behind! :evil:

Bumper, truck, both quarter panels, and exhaust look to be damaged ... we'll see if the fram is damadged later on I guess ..

Here is the help I need: This is my first Subaru, and my first accident with an insurance claim. Besides contacting the insurance company and all of that, does anyone have any advice for me? Should I just take it to the dealer (Ann Arbor Subaru), or should I take it to a bodyshop?

Anyone have experiences with fixing a car that got rear ended ... frame damage ... paint trouble .... finding parts??

All help appreciated,
Smitty

M

·
0 Posts
If the damage estimate is a couple thousand dollars or more, I would definitely get a lawyer and sue for the lost value of the car. It's an easy process and other than seeing him a few times, you don't have to do anything except cash the check.

ps: I would then pay down the balance of the car with this money, so as not to be upside down (assuming you are doing some sort of 5 year loan on the car).

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Smitty. Contact your insurance co. and tell them you want to take it the dealer. Sometimes your ins. co. will have preferred shops in your area and you might have to take it there.

Make sure you get that girl's info and any witnesses. Tell your ins. co. that she was at fault. It would help to get a police report if possible.

Good luck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, made sure to get the police there ... got a report number, and she got a ticket for "failure to stop in a reasonable distance" ... so she is definitely at fault.

You think I should take it to the dealer?

mistkerl: how tough of a process is this? i've never heard of doing this in michigan ... It sounds like a great idea, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting a ton of money on a lawyer ....

thanks,
Smitty

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i had an accident that involved body damage. my fault. anyway i called my dealer and they don't do body work on site so they told me to take my car to thier recommended body shop. i think its best to go with whoever the dealer recommends with a new car. simply because in my case the bodyshop in question has extensive experience in fixing Subies.
one thing you might have to look forward to is a long wait while any bodyshop tries to get parts. my bodyshop and dealer worked together on getting the parts in question. at the time of my accident they were unavailable. they had to call Japan. it took 2 months. i had scratched a BBS wheel too. apparently threre were none available in the whole country. this was june/july so things have probably gotten a bit better.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red .2 light bulb condoms

crashsti,
thats what i was afraid of, the parts wait ... it shouldn't be too bad bc the quarters are regular wrx quarters right? i am worried about getting the trunk though, figure that might take a while ...

anyone else have to dig for/order parts ... trouble?, recommendations?

Smitty

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
mistkerl said:
If the damage estimate is a couple thousand dollars or more, I would definitely get a lawyer and sue for the lost value of the car. It's an easy process and other than seeing him a few times, you don't have to do anything except cash the check.

ps: I would then pay down the balance of the car with this money, so as not to be upside down (assuming you are doing some sort of 5 year loan on the car).
This can turn into a big debacle though, depending on the other person's insurance. My g/f and her mom were in a rear ender, scratched up her car and wasted a lot of the other person's car. It was the other person's(edit:NOT my g/f's) fault (as they were trying to eat soup and drive ::: slap forehead smiley :::) and slammed them from behind at a light. Now its been a year andthey are still going to court, although instead of about ~1000 in repairs they are working at about $10,000 each i believe (both my g/f and her mom). lol. these things can get a little carried away. Also NEVER EVER answer any questions from people you dont know. The other person's insurance company would call, pretending to be a relative or a friend or something, asking if they were alright to use it in court against them. Man I really hated progressive or whoever for doing stuff like that. They even had people spying on them to see if they were doing normal activities or were actually hurt (obviously they were hurt, as a jar in the ### at 30mph while you're stopped is goin to hurt). *sigh* anyways, just get ready for what you might be getting into.

Robert~

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Re: Is it me or is my sti feeling slow???

i'm pretty certain the parts are out there now. it is november. definately work with you subie dealer. they'll get the parts you need and they will be real subaru parts. my dealer was excellent at helping me. back when i crashed in June SOA was still shipping out STi's as allocations. i don't think they were worrying about parts at the time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
staticx -

thats what i was worried about ... especially bc she said to me "i swear i changed this thing to full insurance yesterday", while she was beeping her hubby to go get it changed or some crap like that ...

all i know is ... my neck is startin to get stiff, grrr

anyone else have any input on this? any other advice about goin after the lost value of the car?

smitty

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
mistkerl said:
...the lost value of the car...
what does this mean?? if there's $10k of damage, your (or her) insurance pays it. what's the "lost value"?? and once you tell me what it is ( :) ) how is it assessed?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't know how fast you need to get it fixed (daily driver) but it's good to see a few different body shops. Find a few quality body shops by going to some car shows (or motorcycle shows) and asking the people with the nicer paint jobs where they got their car painted. Also, call some of the high end dealerships (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus) and ask who they use for paint repair. You might try posting on Nabisco too (to see if anyone in the area knows some good shops).

Ask some questions about the shop when you get there. See what type of paint they use, what type of guns, what type of booth, and how they plan to repaint any damaged areas (by this I mean how they plan on layering the paint and primer). Check out the other cars in there and if they've got some cars outside that they just fixed, check them out. Don't be mean but show them that your car is very important. It's gonna take about 15-30 mins to get a good estimate (including a pricing report). Then you can see exactly what needs to be replaced.

When it's being done, you can stop by every once in a while to check things out.

Sorry to hear about the accident. I don't have any legal type advice, but I worked at a paint store for a little bit so if you wanna pm me, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Of topic, I'm hoping to be in Ann Arbor come January of 2005 for grad school so I might need somebody to show me around :)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i wish you good luck!!! and i hope you're STi is back to its old self soon. as for going to court. even if you do go and the judge decides in your favor there is no guarantee that the other person will pay. so many deadbeats out there it makes me sick.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lock your doors when driving!!!!!

thanks guys, appreciate all the help and support so far

posted on NABISCO too just to see what they thought ...

Fhqwhqads - yeah, I plan to check out the shop that I am taking it to, before I actually have my car taken there ... its not in drivable condition right now, so I don't want to tow it all over the place ...

As far as Ann Arbor goes, I live and work in town now and graduated from UMich ... so feel free to get a hold of me if ya have any questions, or want an unguided/guided tour of town ...

::crossing fingers that parts come back and i get my car back soon::
Smitty

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Fhqwhgads said:
...I'm hoping to be in Ann Arbor come January of 2005 for grad school so I might need somebody to show me around :)
woohoo!! go blue! 1998 grad (phd, comp sci & engr). my wife's there now on a recruiting trip for her job. i'm stuck at home with the kids. :( ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Well in my ex-wifes case, she was driving a 2000 honda accord coupe and got rear ended pretty severly. The damage estimate was about 5 grand. But, they still wouldn't total the car. She also had some pretty bad neck and back injuries.

All told, it took about 8 months, but she receieved well over 10 grand after paying out the lawyer. She was not given any static and she didn't have to go to court. I don't know how they determine the lost value, but it is very favorable to the victim.

But, since you indicated you were physically fine, you shouldn't expect any kind of hassle from the insurance company. It would be purely based on what the lawyer could show was lost in the value of your car and not you faking a neck injury. Anyways, the first consultation is always free in situations like this, you should make the effort and talk to them if the damage is really bad on your car.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4MLA1FN said:
woohoo!! go blue! 1998 grad (phd, comp sci & engr). my wife's there now on a recruiting trip for her job. i'm stuck at home with the kids. :( ;)
Man, phd at UofM?? How long did that take you, 10 years???? I think my masters will be enough for me ... will be going back for it soon.

Smitty

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mistkerl said:
But, since you indicated you were physically fine, you shouldn't expect any kind of hassle from the insurance company. It would be purely based on what the lawyer could show was lost in the value of your car and not you faking a neck injury. Anyways, the first consultation is always free in situations like this, you should make the effort and talk to them if the damage is really bad on your car.
mistkerl, thanks

If I can find a free consultation somewhere reputable, think I might check it out.
Smitty

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
SmittyTi said:
Man, phd at UofM?? How long did that take you, 10 years????
5yrs; not an uncommon time for doctorates in science and engineering. liberal arts? well, now you're talking 10yrs. ;) dunno why.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anyone think I will have problems with the insurance company trying to make me get stock WRX parts (especially the trunk?) ... or not replacing the IC waterspray bottle?? I just started think about this, and since my insurance company doesn't have a listing for the STI, I don't wanna get screwed. I gave them the right VIN, thats all I needed to do, correct???

4MLA1FN - my respect goes to you ... I wasin a hurry to get out after undergrad :) .... wonder how many STi owners are UofM grads?? Would love to get us all together for a tailgate at a football game or something! :)

Smitty

1 - 20 of 44 Posts