IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a Helix downpipe with a QTP cutout welded on and once again the cutout broke (nothing new). After 4 motors I have decided to ditch the exhaust and go with a more "normal" TBE. Anyways my real trouble comes in because i need to to make the 8 hour trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Tallahassee this Friday (18th) and do not want to do it with the cutout wide open. I thought of possibly making a manual cutout but i went to Home Depot and couldnt not find any suitable metal. Any ideas how I can make a cover for my exhaust cutout on short notice. Advice is greatly appreciated.

·
The Hoff Fan Club, member #001
9,936 Posts
well if the regular tbe cut off then i wouldn't recommend covering the dump tube because the exhaust gases will have nowhere to go. if you have your stock exhaust system i would put that on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the dump tube is closed 99% of the time when the cutout motor is not broken. I still have the stock catback on my car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea, but if i found a way to close it off, the exhaust wouldnt be trapped it would just come out of the stock muffler and everything would be lollipops and sunshine

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
MZacharski said:
yea, but if i found a way to close it off, the exhaust wouldnt be trapped it would just come out of the stock muffler and everything would be lollipops and sunshine
since you're going to ditch it anyway... weld it shut ;)

J.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
nice thinking j!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
QTP ftl, I would say have a welder weld the cutout shut then.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm not understanding your description very well but I've sealed pipes with a soda can and hose clamps before. You cut the top and bottom off a soda can and slit it down the side so it rolls out flat. You lay it over the hole and use some hose clamps to hold it down tight. You will probably still get an exhaust leak noise and you can't run too hard but it can get you by till you can yank the pipe off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts