IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 WRB STI Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm in the process of purchasing a 2019 STI from out of state, so I can't see it in person. The car for sure has an Invidia N1 catback exhaust. I requested additional under body photos, and the dealer sent over the ones below. I think the car has a downpipe, but unsure which one (unless it's just a heatwrapped OEM?). Just preparing myself, as I know it will need a protune.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! (sorry in advance for the terrible photos).

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Wheel
Tire White Automotive tire Light Vehicle

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I agree, not an OEM down pipe. It looks like it might have a cat near the end of it but its hard to tell with the heat wrap. It would suggest getting more pics of the down pipe for multiple angles. Like Yamaha suggested, pics of the top may help.

·
Registered
2019 WRB STI Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, after comparing with photos of OEM, doesn't look like it to me either. Will try to get dealer to take some photos from the top down. The only photo/screenshot I have doesn't really show the top of the downpipe. BUT, upon closer inspection, I see what might be an EBC of some sort...

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well just based on the pictures, the car seems to have intake, exhaust, downpipe, BOV, and an AOS. I really hope this car has a tune on it. Since you are purchasing this car out of state, I would recommend you pay and have a compression/leakdown test done prior to the final purchase. It will be some good peace of mind.

·
Registered
2019 WRB STI Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Jay11STI unfortunately a lot of these mods were not discovered until after papers were signed. I believe there was a tune, due the the evidence that there was an accessport installed at some point prior to sale.

I am trying to find someone to do a compression/leak down test as soon as it arrives. Was originally going to swap the air box back to factory, adjust BPV to full recirculating, revert any tuning, and take it to the dealer to get checked out. But after discovering the extent of modifications, I don’t think the dealer is the best place for sale of whatever warranty is there.

Previous owner “misplaced” the AP before sale, so it was not included with the sale. The car has 16k miles, and was only on the dealer lot for a week. Already purchased a replacement AP, ready to go. Pending successful engine tests, I will be getting it protuned.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
@Jay11STI unfortunately a lot of these mods were not discovered until after papers were signed. I believe there was a tune, due the the evidence that there was an accessport installed at some point prior to sale.

I am trying to find someone to do a compression/leak down test as soon as it arrives. Was originally going to swap the air box back to factory, adjust BPV to full recirculating, revert any tuning, and take it to the dealer to get checked out. But after discovering the extent of modifications, I don’t think the dealer is the best place for sale of whatever warranty is there.

Previous owner “misplaced” the AP before sale, so it was not included with the sale. The car has 16k miles, and was only on the dealer lot for a week. Already purchased a replacement AP, ready to go. Pending successful engine tests, I will be getting it protuned.
One thing to mention about the misplaced accessport. If the original accessport wasnt unmarried and is still married to the car, then you wont be able to pair a new accessport. You will have to contact Cobb if you run into that issue. Of course this isnt something you will know until you try lol.

·
Registered
2019 WRB STI Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did think of that! I both called and emailed Cobb and explained the situation. They said that if you attempt to marry an AP to a car that is currently married to another AP, the new AP will prompt you and ask if you want to overwrite the existing marriage.

Once overwritten and married to the new AP, it renders the old one useless (unless you pay Cobb $$$ to get it unlocked/unmarried).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did think of that! I both called and emailed Cobb and explained the situation. They said that if you attempt to marry an AP to a car that is currently married to another AP, the new AP will prompt you and ask if you want to overwrite the existing marriage.

Once overwritten and married to the new AP, it renders the old one useless (unless you pay Cobb $$$ to get it unlocked/unmarried).
Pretty sure they unmarried the AP and sold you a car that needs to be protuned. Pretty common practice it seems sadly. Unethical in my view.

Just don't go WOT before you get that tune and ask why the car's behaving funny and you should be fine :LOL:

·
Registered
2019 WRB STI Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think so too. But all along I was told previous owner simply forgot to put the AP back in the car before trade-in, and that the car was fully driveable without issue as is. Possibly because it still had the old AP married and tune installed (obviously I don’t 100% believe them). Previous owner was supposed to meet up at the dealer to hand over the AP a day before signing. But that never happened.

Doesn’t really matter I guess, since regardless, I would get a retune anyways. I just hope the original AP isn’t still married and passed off to another poor soul expecting to be able to use it right out of the box.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

Wow thats good to know. Better get that new AP quick, real quick lol

·
Registered
2019 WRB STI Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another question to those of your more familiar with the later STI's...Will an OEM downpipe and/or full exhaust fit on a 2019 STI? I've read that Subaru redid a few things starting 2019 to make them more efficient/higher flowing/etc etc. I don't know if any of those affect how it is physically bolted on.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,158 Posts
Good aftermarket DPs are what most people want and run - at least for best performance.

·
Registered
2019 WRB STI Limited
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, got another photo of the downpipe (sort of). It looks like it’s possibly a heat wrapped Cobb catted downpipe with a Cobb heat shield, but I suppose it could be some other downpipe with just the Cobb heat shield.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive exhaust

·
Super Moderator
8,851 Posts
It's wrapped... Not much we can tell you, other than to remove the wrap.

The Cobb DP I had, had an allen head for the O2 bung.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts