IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The AutoMeter Cobalt boost gauge? Im wanting to know what you used for the 12v lightsource in the car and what you used for the 12v+ to power the gauge.

Im just doing so research before I get started.

Thanks

Mark

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
where are you mounting it?

many tap right into the clock's connector when you pull it out...it has ground, power, and lighting.

you can use fuses for power also...and the cig lighter can be used for power, lighting, and ground.

and any of the connectors to the left of the dash (i/c spray, headlight leveling..there's an extra one in there too).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im mounting it on the Piller. I have the wire ran, the sensor mounted, vacum line ran and installed. All of the connections are made accept for the 12+, Ground, and the light switch wire. I was looking for the 12v source to run off of and test the gauge before I put the gauge into the pod and finished up. It tested fine, light came on, but we didnt start the engine to check if it read right. Well we put everything together, and started it up and it doesnt work right. It Zeros out like its suppose to per Autometers instructions, but it doesnt read vacum and the light on it doesnt work. I dont know if I had it to the right kind of source lead or if the gauge is broke. Im not happy about this, a whole saturday night wasted on a stupid gauge install that should have taken 2 hours tops to do but instead it took 4 and wasted the whole evening. :mad:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have any pics of there gauges installed in the car? Im looking for what they used for the 12v power, 12v dash light source, and a good grounding source. The 12v Power has to be on during starting the engine. Im kinda having trouble finding what to use for this. The wires for the gauge are not long enough to run to the battery for the +/-

Any help??? Please??? :confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only place i could see you not reading vacuum but boost, is the line coming off the turbo. Thats not a boost tap point. Try the intake manifold or bypass valve for a tap. Autozone has boxes of T-fittings, as im pretty sure your gauge box doesnt come with the right size fitting. (i think you want 1/4 by 1/4 by 1/4)

The lighting i used the battery by buying extra long wire and the quick solderless connectors (also available at autozone), a fuse, and a switch. I just ran the wire right to battery positive.

For Ground i used the thin black metal piece thats behind the A-Pillar at the base. (i just fanned the gauge out around it and taped it there). You should get the positive hooked up first and touch around the metal parts to see where a good ground is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts