IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1. I really REALLY need to find a way to safely transport my bike(s) on my STi. I am tired of having a racing teammate do it for me.

2. I worry about parts touching the paint and causing it to warp, etc. This includes the roof paint.

3. My bikes are anything but cheap, and since i built one of them myself, I need them to be safe.

4. I have *read* NO experience with racks. So treat me like a 4 year old (Dave does that any way).

5. Seriously, help me here. Anyone have a rack system on their STi or know of a rack that will fit all my criteria?

Did some searching. Looks like Subaru offers a rack or two that might work. Does anyone have experience with these racks? For example:

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1483326&showprevnext=1

and...

http://www.cheammotors.co.uk/content.php?categoryId=53

These are the two I am talking about.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
i have a friend that uses the thule one but its for the rear. ive seen alot of oem roof racks for t he sti and it lood good. alot of people put on the ceal bra on top of the roob to help it from scrating

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
perhaps i will consider the clear bra stuff. Can i assume you only apply it minimally --> just enought to cover the contact points between rack and roof paint?

thanks, mate.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
i have a rack and transported my litespeed ultimate on it, and my klein attitude. i basically waxed the crap out of the section of roofline that the pads were going to touch. Most of the time for convenience though i take off the front wheel and put the bike in the back seat, cable locked to the front headrest.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Just ordered my Yakima roof rack. Trust me, I could have gotten a new turbo kit for the cost of my new bike (Felt F3C). I was literally debating a turbo kit or a bike. I eventually want to clear bra the spots on my roof that are going to come into contact of the rack, but for now, Im going to try some painters tape and some rags. Ill post some pics when it comes in on Thursday.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Check THIS link. I asked the same question a few days ago. It looks like that Yakima or Thule is the way to go. Someome suggested the Subaru racks which will not touch the paint at all. They are not available at US I think.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I got a Thule roof rack, and have no problems at all. Great rack, and its solid! Definitely spend some cash on a rack, don't cheap out. Thule or Yakima are the way to go.

Adrian

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
my old galant VR4 had two strips of weather stripping on the roof with little sections you could remove revealing bolt on points for a special thule rack that thule made for the VR4 only. it was super sweet and solid as a rock. wish we could get that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a similar dilemma a few months ago and decided to get a draw-tite hidden hitch and a Thule hitch mounted bike rack. It's rock solid, very secure and there's no chance of a bike scratching up the roof. Better for wind resistance, car looks clean when you're not using it, and it can be done for about 250-300 bucks if you install the hitch yourself. You just have to be careful about aftermarket exhaust rubbing issues, but I've got the borla XR-1 on kartboy XL hangers and it works out fine. Just an alternative option for ya.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anyone consider the saris bones trunk rack? I would clear bra the contact points with some rockblocker film. The whole thing would cost me under $100. Which is nice considering my road bike build is costly.

your thoughts, gentlemen?

·
Registered
322 Posts
bah14 said:
anyone consider the saris bones trunk rack? I would clear bra the contact points with some rockblocker film. The whole thing would cost me under $100. Which is nice considering my road bike build is costly.

your thoughts, gentlemen?
Trunk racks are crap. Sometime, somewhere your pedals and trunk will meet and you won't like the results. Subaru roof racks are made by Yakima, both Yakima and Thule are good bets for a roof rack. If you go roof, buy bike bras and a front spolier for the rack. And make sure you buy a rack which locks to the fork with the front wheel off rather than the downtube with the front wheel on...much more stable at speed.

I race and have not used a roof rack in years. I used a Saris Cycle-on pro rear mount rack with a hidden hitch until I changed my exhaust and the hitch had to go. It held 2 bikes in trays and is much better than a roof rack in crosswinds.

I now pop both wheels off and stick the bike in the trunk which works like a charm..though you can only take 1 bike.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
kris said:
I now pop both wheels off and stick the bike in the trunk which works like a charm..though you can only take 1 bike.

i think this may be most ideal. Do you take any precautions to avoid mucking up the interior? Mine's still pristine. I'm thinking baggies for the wheels...

anyone?

Good dialogue here fella's. Thanks.:tup:

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Bah14, if you are custom building a bike it should be expensive. Would you trust to put your pricey bike on the back...? How about if you are rear-ended? Car is down and bike is down. Go roof rack.

·
Registered
322 Posts
bah14 said:
i think this may be most ideal. Do you take any precautions to avoid mucking up the interior? Mine's still pristine. I'm thinking baggies for the wheels...

anyone?

Real easy...wheels off, nice big blanket down in the trunk. Drop the frame in first, wrap it and then wrap both wheels in blankets and place them on top. Just watch out for the path of the massive Suby trunk hinges. Give everything a jiggle to make sure that the wheels are settled and that's it. Another option is to drop the wheels in behind the front seats with the cog facing forward. And yes wheel bags are an option and can be found on Ebay. They're also good for air travel.

I've had my road bike, cross bike and mountain bike in this way without any problems. I'm tall (over 6') and everything has fit without dropping the seatpost...and since everything is in the trunk there is no mess in the car.

In a pinch you can get a second bike in the back seat with wheels off. Just use a blanket and use the shoulder belts to hook the bike and hold it in place.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
pantag said:
Bah14, if you are custom building a bike it should be expensive. Would you trust to put your pricey bike on the back...? How about if you are rear-ended? Car is down and bike is down. Go roof rack.
True! I have a hitch mount but I rest easy because my insurance will cover anything "attached" to my car in the case of an accident. This includes bikes attached to the back. I also posted in the afore mentioned Link: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58849&highlight=bike+sti about "+"'s and "-"'s of my hitch mount.

Cheers

·
Registered
40 Posts
just buy

If you go the roof rack option, which I think is the best, just add a Yakima wheel fork. That way nothing has to go in the car. Have done many longer distance trips (+500 miles) with some very nice stuff on the roof and zero problems.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm interning for Yakima this summer and I just got a new rack for my car (I'll be displaying it at the Yakima tent @ WCSS this weekend). The rack fits really well and has silicone pads on the feet. The whole thing clips to the rain gutter and doesn't hurt the paint. I'm thinking of getting some clear-bra put above my doors, but for now it works well. Here are some pictures with Yakima's new SprocketRocket bike mount.

·
Registered
478 Posts
AWDriver said:
I'm interning for Yakima this summer and I just got a new rack for my car (I'll be displaying it at the Yakima tent @ WCSS this weekend). The rack fits really well and has silicone pads on the feet. The whole thing clips to the rain gutter and doesn't hurt the paint. I'm thinking of getting some clear-bra put above my doors, but for now it works well. Here are some pictures with Yakima's new SprocketRocket bike mount.
I don't think I'd call those the rain gutters, that's the window trim. The gutters can be seen in your first pic, just left of the foot of your rack.

Since you're interning for Yakima, ask around and find out why they can't make a rack that actually clamps to anchors that many cars have in the gutters (my definition of gutters, that is :) )

1 - 20 of 27 Posts