IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So basically took my car to the dealership yesterday for an oil change and they found a coolant leak. They removed the intercooler to diagnose/fix the leak. Today the car starts sputtering when I WOT or go high in boost/rpms. I am not really sure what to do or how to fix the issue. It was running perfectly fine before I took it in for maintenance.

Car Info:
44k Miles
Mods:
Catback exhaust
Downpipe
Perrin EBCS
DW65 FP
1000cc ID Injectors
Cobb Intake with Box

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi all,

So basically took my car to the dealership yesterday for an oil change and they found a coolant leak. They removed the intercooler to diagnose/fix the leak. Today the car starts sputtering when I WOT or go high in boost/rpms. I am not really sure what to do or how to fix the issue. It was running perfectly fine before I took it in for maintenance.

Car Info:
44k Miles
Mods:
Catback exhaust
Downpipe
Perrin EBCS
DW65 FP
1000cc ID Injectors
Cobb Intake with Box
look for intercooler piping leaks at the couplers.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Bring it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it? If the intercooler was the only thing they touched then there's gonna be a leak at the turbo outlet or at the intake manifold. Also why are you bringing a modified Subaru to the dealership for an oil change?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Bring it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it? If the intercooler was the only thing they touched then there's gonna be a leak at the turbo outlet or at the intake manifold. Also why are you bringing a modified Subaru to the dealership for an oil change?

I agree with this

This could all be circumstantial but i would bring it back to the dealership. Its possible something is loose or not sitting right. Its also possible its something completly unrelated and again just pure circumstantial. Like stated before, why are you bringing your modded sti to the dealer for oil changes?

·
Registered
140 Posts
^ does it even matter why he's bringing a modded car for an oil change? I've done it in the past when I don't have the time and i can work while its getting done. If he brought it in to fix the modded-out things I'd have reservations... but its just an oil change.

OP it is most likely a leak dealing with air coming in... could be damaged pipe/hose, loose clamp, loose hose etc. If there's nothing you can find yourself, bring it back to them, but you also stand the chance of them finding nothing and they can blame your mods.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Because its 100 degrees outside with like 80% humidity? I also moved so no subie shops near me anymore.

^ does it even matter why he's bringing a modded car for an oil change? I've done it in the past when I don't have the time and i can work while its getting done. If he brought it in to fix the modded-out things I'd have reservations... but its just an oil change.

OP it is most likely a leak dealing with air coming in... could be damaged pipe/hose, loose clamp, loose hose etc. If there's nothing you can find yourself, bring it back to them, but you also stand the chance of them finding nothing and they can blame your mods.
Yeah I am taking it back today, it would be pretty bullshit if they tried to blame my mods, but I could see them doing it also.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It matters because if anything goes wrong including the dealership damaging your car when they do unannounced "fixes" then they can just blame it on your mods and deny responsibility. This is on top of the outrageous prices dealerships charge for doing an oil change compared to an independent shop. Although the OP mentioned he moved so finding a shop that you trust could be tough.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It matters because if anything goes wrong including the dealership damaging your car when they do unannounced "fixes" then they can just blame it on your mods and deny responsibility. This is on top of the outrageous prices dealerships charge for doing an oil change compared to an independent shop. Although the OP mentioned he moved so finding a shop that you trust could be tough.
Yeah I used to live in NoVA so I normally went to IAG or Mach V for maint or any work being done.

They found out that I am only getting like 14 PSI or something like that and they said they want to do an engine tear down to see what the root cause of the failure. The guy said there is a 50/50 chance of Subaru covering the short block and if they don't I have to cover the $1500 cost...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Yeah I used to live in NoVA so I normally went to IAG or Mach V for maint or any work being done.

They found out that I am only getting like 14 PSI or something like that and they said they want to do an engine tear down to see what the root cause of the failure. The guy said there is a 50/50 chance of Subaru covering the short block and if they don't I have to cover the $1500 cost...
WTF why would you have to pay to fix it if they broke it doing work? Did you check the clamps on the intercooler? Try resetting the ECU as well. Not boosting past 14 PSI doesn't indicate a block issue at all. None of this makes sense. This dealer seems to be rinsing you for money. I highly doubt the block is bad.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree, this sounds suspect as hell. If you can't find it, find another place.
This is the very reason they are called "Stealerships".

Where do you live now?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WTF why would you have to pay to fix it if they broke it doing work? Did you check the clamps on the intercooler? Try resetting the ECU as well. Not boosting past 14 PSI doesn't indicate a block issue at all. None of this makes sense. This dealer seems to be rinsing you for money. I highly doubt the block is bad.
Uhh I wiggled some stuff when I had the car when it was cold. It seemed ok, I checked mostly around the intake though. I'll recheck when I get the car back tomorrow or this weekend, I've been out of town for a week so its been sitting at the dealership.

It is BS that they would charge me, but I would assume they'll just try to blame one of my mods for the cause and that the issue occurring directly after it was serviced was a 'coincidence'.

I agree, this sounds suspect as hell. If you can't find it, find another place.
This is the very reason they are called "Stealerships".

Where do you live now?
Columbia, South Carolina. I am considering driving my car or most likely transporting it to MD or VA to a better shop.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd get a screw driver and tighten down the clamps on the coupler where the intercooler meets the throttle body first. It should take like 20 seconds. Then If you can reach it I would tighten clamp on the red coupler that comes out of the turbo below the intercooler. Everything points to a boost leak.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd get a screw driver and tighten down the clamps on the coupler where the intercooler meets the throttle body first. It should take like 20 seconds. Then If you can reach it I would tighten clamp on the red coupler that comes out of the turbo below the intercooler. Everything points to a boost leak.
Ok, I should also reflash my tune right? Thats what you meant by resetting the ECU right?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have a cobb you can reset the ecu without a reflash through the menu. If not then you can pull the ground off the battery to reset it.
I reflashed my tune and am going to do some data logs later. They said they wanted to do a tear down since the 4th cylinder was misfiring and there was a loss of boost. They said SoA makes them do a tear down when dealing with modified cars so they can correctly diagnose the issue... However they require me authorizing the procedure without them confirming they'll cover it, which they are trying to make me liable for most likely.

I checked the codes and I don't see anything indicating that like the P0304 issue some people had.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts