IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saying Hi. I recently lost my 2003 Mustang Cobra due to an accident caused by someone failing to yield the right of way. I take delivery of my new 2004 WRX STi tomorrow afternoon and I cant wait. Ran across this board in my search for information comparing the STi and the Evo. Look forward to some good reads, and hope to enjoy my stay here.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Re: Hmm

hey, welcome to the forum. congrats on the impending delivery of your sti. i think you're the first ex-cobra driver. you might "enjoy" the long sti vs cobra thread on svtperformance.com initiated by the hot rod comparison. ;) i see you're in dayton; lived there for 10yrs during undergrad and grad (wright state). kettering to be exact. anyway, welcome.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4MLA1FN, I just read the first 6 pages .. my head hurts now, thanks LOL

It seems no matter where you go where the car crowd is a large group, you will always find those that think the car they own is the greatest in the world (which to seme degree, we all feel about our cars) but reallity checks need to be made. I hated the IRS in my '03 Cobra. Launching at a drag strip, the street, or even 2nd gear around a corner - HOP HOP HOP HOP ...

I dont know what the STi's are actually putting to the wheels, but the Cobra put 380-ish to the wheels. Thats alot of power to control with just 1 axle. If only the Cobra had an AWD option LOL. I chose to buy an STi because of very different reasons than I bought the Cobra based on. After the test drive of the STi (I almost didnt, and would have bought the Evo instead) I was completely amazed by the car. I cant wait to get my very own and actually learn how to drive it better than that test drive day.

2 very different cars for 2 very different purposes. I find it quite humorous they even dragged the 2 against each other and printed an article. I will take my STi to the strip just to see its 1/4 mile times, as I always need to know these things about my vehicles. I dont expect an 11 second pass that I got out of my highly mod'd '97 Cobra, but I'm hoping for a low 13. Its a respectible number for what the car is built for. Besides .. most of the "idiots" over there keep comparing modified cars to the stock STi ... I hate it when people try to compare mods to stock .. pointless

I guess after the rambling, I hope I'm not perceived as a troll here. I'll soon have pics of my new baby tucked in my garage, awaiting a nice snowy day to go play in :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Welcome to the board. I guarantee you lots of fun hours, and always taking the longest road home on the STi :D

-dp

·
Registered
137 Posts
Uhhhh....Glove Box Rattle fixed

Where around dayton do u live because I live in beavercreek and I have been trying to find someone to talk to about the sti locally. Granted I dont get mine until March, but thats ok.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I wish i lived in BEAVERcreek. :lol:
sorry bro i had to say it

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone here ever run at Beaverun outside of Pittsburgh?

trevor456 said:
Where around dayton do u live because I live in beavercreek and I have been trying to find someone to talk to about the sti locally. Granted I dont get mine until March, but thats ok.
I live in Englewood, work in Downtown Dayton (on 2nd street, Reynolds and Reynolds) Getting the STi from Wagner Subaru in Fairborn (great guys there)

·
Registered
241 Posts
You should go out and BUY snow tires TODAY. Those stock tires are absolutely worthless in the snow. If you're ever up for driving out towards cleveland, I'd love to meet up with you. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
snead_c said:
Congratulations. Be sure to break her in gently (1000 mi ) and get those winter tires on.
Enjoy !
It is being delivered with Blizzak's on all corners. I'm searching for rims for my summer tires now.

I'm having the Blizzak's put on the stock wheels (I dont care for them much) and I'll put the potenza's on a nice set of light weight wheels for summer :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Toronto Area...tuning

Funny, I ALMOST bought a Cobra. Every time I compared the Cobra with anything other, that damn 390 number kept trumping everthing else. I had even bookmarked all the sites to do some aftermarket upgrades (pullies, exhaust, shifter). I finally decided against it for a few reasons, and the last couple of ice storms made me think I made the right choice. That and all the wheel hop issues I've been hearing about from the Cobra.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Whats the weight ratio for the STI

Hey, welcome to the board. When you get your car, post some pics in "Got Mine"! :D

CSDominion said:
I dont know what the STi's are actually putting to the wheels, but the Cobra put 380-ish to the wheels.
Is the 390 crank HP rating on the Cobra low? Otherwise I'd expect it to lose more than 10 hp to the wheels.

I guess after the rambling, I hope I'm not perceived as a troll here. I'll soon have pics of my new baby tucked in my garage, awaiting a nice snowy day to go play in :)
You're no troll. :D We all know the Cobra is a better car in some ways and the STi is a better car in others. Most of the people here are car fans in general who really liked the STi and chose them as their current car.

·
Registered
694 Posts
CSDominion said:
Troll? Fear not. Heck, I come from an American V8 background myself, and still own one. Now, if only I could retrofit AWD on it.

It's really too bad that Ford's SVE group decided to put IRS on the Cobra. IMHO, it really hurt a car with great potential. I've driven some of their prototypes in years past, including an SHO wagon and the "first" SVT Focus (200+ hp V6, not the 2.0L four). They've got some great engineers over there, and the IRS is a great idea in theory. Unfortunately, it didn't come out quite so well in execution.

I still think they've yet to top the 2000 Cobra R. I got to drive one of those back when they were new, and that was one heck of a track car.

Anyway, rambling aside, welcome to the fold - and feel free to discuss other cars all you want! (In the appropriate forum, of course.)

It's great to have STi drivers here from a variety of backgrounds.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I live in Englewood, work in Downtown Dayton (on 2nd street, Reynolds and Reynolds) Getting the STi from Wagner Subaru in Fairborn (great guys there)[/quote]

Oh ok thats cool I have been out to Englewood a few times and thats the Subaru dealer that I have been talking to the sale reps about the Sti. They seem to really know their stuff about the Sti. Did you get the blue one that they have had or did you get a different one?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Welcome, enjoy your stay here, post pix in got mine room and let us know how u like STi vs CObra...
good luck with the car!!

CSDominion said:
Just saying Hi. I recently lost my 2003 Mustang Cobra due to an accident caused by someone failing to yield the right of way. I take delivery of my new 2004 WRX STi tomorrow afternoon and I cant wait. Ran across this board in my search for information comparing the STi and the Evo. Look forward to some good reads, and hope to enjoy my stay here.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Oh, and of course, we're all glad that you didn't bite it with your Cobra.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check out the Tarmac 11 s...can be had for about $550 and they look good as well as fit which I'm sure you've discovered is a big problem for our front Brembos.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts