IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting an aftermarket upgrade to my lighting for quite some time now and foglights just do nothing for me... I was after some good driving lights. I came across these new Hella 90mm modules with the H9 bulb that puts out 2100 lumens from a 65w bulb. That's almost as good as an HIR 9011 bulb. These are hibeam modules which means they throw a somewhat dense beam of light downrange.

In addition to these, I do have the stock HID projector lowbeams and the stock hibeams with 9011 HIR Toshiba bulbs swapped in.

Here are some pics:

Once I figured out how to mount them, it was really easy, but I've had this stuff sitting around for damn near a year now waiting for me to figure it out. The final solution was EASY and extraordinarily sturdy, in addition to being very easy to adjust aim.

The parts I used are as follows:
from subaruparts.com
Fog Lamp Trim Kit RH and LH (prepainted) $65.21

from rallylights.com
(2) HL68136 90mm High Beam Lamp, H9 Bulb $58.75 each
(2) HL97300 Mounting Plate, Stainless Steel $10.20 each
(2) HL95663 Adjuster Kit $13.85 each
(2) HL87193 H9 Connector with terminals and seals $6.70 each
HL87123 Hella Mini 5 or 6 Terminal with bracket (relay receptacle) $2.43
HL87118 Hella 40amp 12v relay, dual 87 terminals

wiring supplies
Sealing triple-shrink 3M shrink tubing (partsexpress)
SPDT switch (allows on-anytime or on-w/highbeams) (partsexpress)
12ga outdoor lighting wire (homedepot)
terminal block crimp female disconnects (partsexpress)

All connections are soldered and heatshrink-protected. The relay block is mounted right next to the fusebox in the 06 engine bay on one of the empty bolt holes in the strut tower. The switch is in a blank receptacle in the dash.

The illumination is a marked increment in brightness and distribution over the already-good setup I have with the stock projector HIDs and 9011 hibeams.

I think the Hellas are still aimed a bit low... the first animation here is on a downhill slope so the car may be leaning down a bit and exaggerating how much the foreground is illuminated, but here are some examples.

"HID" are the stock headlights. "H9" are the hella 90mm's, "9011" are the stock hibeams with HIR bulbs.

·
Banned
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Insane06STi said:
Are you worried about water getting in the wiring?
The lamps themselves employ OE quality connections that are fully sealed with silicone gaskets and the housing has drain/vent tubes just like an OE headlamp. All my wiring is crimped and soldered and covered with dual-layer heatshrink from 3M that has a meltable inner liner of sealing adhesive. They could be submerged and still operate.

So basically, no, I'm not the least bit worried about water intrusion :)

·
Banned
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh yeah, add to the list the little female-disconnects that can be inserted into the relay-block... they have them at rallylights as well. You'll also need some assorted connectors and ring terminals and such.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts