IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for the solution to mating up the Helix with the SPT. I thought I found the solution: http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/product.php?productid=47&cat=0 but I think that's for borla exhausts only? Is the only solution to hack off the 2.5" donut flange and weld on a new 3" flange? No adaptor of any sort? :confused:

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the SPT back box is the same as stock then it shouldn't be hard to make it work, in fact mine more or less bolted right up. I simply took the supplied gasket and some gasket material and made my own 3 part gasket. Been on for well over a month with zero problems. :notsure: Have you tried putting them together and you had a leak?

Fess

·
Registered
313 Posts
That is exactly what I did. I hacked off the donut flange and welded the mad dad adapter to my SPT Catback. The borla adapter wont fit inside the SPT piping ( that is what I was hoping for) and I don't know if a muffler shop could expand the pipe to fit.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK update: Today the Helix went in, and stealthback out. As fastsubie stated, it more or less bolted right up. In fact the supplied gasket was more than sufficient to seal the connection. I did notice something that is probably causing everyone else's leaks. On the flange (SPT side) the pipe was a little extended past the flange and could be causing leaks (prevents a good gasket to gasket contact). My buddy simply took a whiz wheel and leveled it down. Started the car up and it didn't leak.

I did have a couple problems however... I noticed that the helix was hitting a part of the frame, (about a couple inches upstream of the bracket). We tried to move the pipe away from the frame, and tightened the bracket. That helped a out little with the clearance (about 2 mm gap), but it appears it bangs around while downshifting, reverse, etc.

The second problem was with the SPT portion of the exhaust. Part of the axleback piping is hitting the frame area near where the lateral links bolt to. (I think they are called lateral links).

Does anyone have one or both of these issues? I was expecting a leak, not metal on metal contact!

·
Registered
313 Posts
When I bolted my helix to my spt at first, I had a slight exhaust leak. That wasn't so bad but I had like a 1/4" gap between the downpipe and the catback. When I tightened the bolts, it would pull the muffler foward and up into the rear bumper cover. I had no isues with the downpipe hitting anything other than the air conditioning drain tube (tied it out of the way).

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the problem I'm having with the front downpipe hitting the frame:

I was able to pry with a prybar and tweak the downpipe about 3 mm away from the frame. Is that going to be bad for the turbo since there is pressure on it constantly? Is this a defect?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know if it's bad to put pressure on the turbo by adjusting the downpipe bracket??

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes sense! I will give it a try.. Thanks Fess!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
fastsubie said:
You need to tighten the bracket on the tranny first, then tighten the bolts on the turbo. If you do it this way you will have plenty of clearence on the cross-member.

Fess
Seems to me that that would still put stress on the turbo by trying to force the turbo over with the downpipe.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yellowducman said:
Seems to me that that would still put stress on the turbo by trying to force the turbo over with the downpipe.
Essentially isn't that what I am doing now by prying on the DP to make it clear? Is there even any room for play on the turbo/bellmouth, in terms of "adjusting"?

·
Registered
75 Posts
STEye said:
Is there even any room for play on the turbo/bellmouth, in terms of "adjusting"?
Not really. What I said above is how I installed mine, groupe-s recomended that way to me. I wasn't about to grind away parts of my cross-member. So far so good.

PS, I did have a hard time with the bottom bolt on the DP after doing it this way plus I wrapped the DP from the bellmouth to the cat with header wrap and things were really tight. I didn't put that bottom nut on, still no leaks after 3000 miles. :notsure:

Fess

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to follow up on this old thread. I returned the Helix to the manufacturer, and 6 months later, I got a new one. The new one fits perfect, so I guess it was a manufacturing defect. Took a long time to get the Helix in terms of availability.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Boxer112 said:
what about the helix DP to Cobb Catback?? Has anyone had any issues with this?
i have the Cobb catback so im wondering that too... anyone have this setup?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.